neod192

How To Reset MyFord Touch w/out losing your presets

So.....here we are almost exactly a year later and all the people at the Ford "help line" have to offer is the Factory Reset button that wipes out EVERYTHING.

Settings

Options

Phone directory

Station presets

Saved Nav. points.....some of which are addresses that you may not have a ready reference for to re-enter them again

Today my Nav went screwy. Going to any screen that needed the keyboard showed only the Q key available.

A reset fixed it and I didn't have much entered in there but......

HOW PATHETIC AN EXCUSE IS THIS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE !?!?!?!?

If something like this happens again, AFTER I do have a lot of information saved in there......I will be HOPPING mad. LIVID probably.

OK, maybe I will just TELL Ford that I am .......if this little thing works.

The big question IS, after a year, why hasn't this become part of the "standard answers" for the help line people ??

I still like my car but it won't take but about one more example of Ford's terrible service to make me STOP giving it a good recommendation.

Oh, and stuff just randomly breaking and things going haywire probably should be expected.......since Sync IS a Microsoft product.

Would you stand for it if your PC lost all of your documents and other saved items every time you needed to reboot it ???

I think not.

There is no excuse for the Sync/Touch system to NOT having a soft reset option.

ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE.

After a whole year, why has there not been a software patch issued to ADD a soft reset option ????

Hey Ford rep.........are you there ???

P.S. Since this "fix" was created in '13......does anybody know for sure if it will work with the '14 MY version of Sync ??

Edited by Easy Rider

Hey Ford rep.........are you there ???

Hi Easy Rider,

I certainly am! Although the master reset is the best reset option available within MyFord Touch, the system should not require a master reset on a regular basis. If you find yourself having ongoing MyFord Touch concerns that require this reset, I suggest visiting your Ford dealership to see what is going on.

I'd also like to point out that if you have an active subscription to SYNC Services, you can also add your favorite navigation destinations right to your account. Even after performing a master reset, you will be able to access these saved points. Visit this page for more information about SYNC Services: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync-myford-touch Send me a PM with your VIN and mobile phone number if you'd like me to check if these are available for your vehicle.

Kim

That SYNC option is probably available to me; I've got just about every option that is offered.

The REAL question, which you did not address however is:

If there is a "soft reset" available which will NOT wipe out the user's settings, why after a year or more has Ford/Microsoft not made that widely known and available ??

That is a SERIOUS question that I think it deserves a serious and honest answer.

I will certainly understand if you don't have access to that kind of information........but SOMEBODY at Ford should, don't you think ??

It seems that this affects a lot of owners as various components of the SYNC system just stop working.

Probably a lot MORE who aren't here and don't know that there is a "better way".

And lastly, I'm "old school" and won't be storing my favorite destinations anywhere that I don't have full and complete control over........not knowingly anyway.

I'd also like to point out that if you have an active subscription to SYNC Services, you can also add your favorite navigation destinations right to your account. Even after performing a master reset, you will be able to access these saved points. Visit this page for more information about SYNC Services: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/sync-services-overview-sync-myford-touch Send me a PM with your VIN and mobile phone number if you'd like me to check if these are available for your vehicle.

Kim

Kim,

I added destinations and get the traffic reports, but I don't see the destinations in my nav listing. Where do they show up? Or do I need to add them a second time to use Nav to get there and monitor traffic on the nav screen?

That SYNC option is probably available to me; I've got just about every option that is offered.

The REAL question, which you did not address however is:

If there is a "soft reset" available which will NOT wipe out the user's settings, why after a year or more has Ford/Microsoft not made that widely known and available ??

That is a SERIOUS question that I think it deserves a serious and honest answer.

I will certainly understand if you don't have access to that kind of information........but SOMEBODY at Ford should, don't you think ??

It seems that this affects a lot of owners as various components of the SYNC system just stop working.

Probably a lot MORE who aren't here and don't know that there is a "better way".

And lastly, I'm "old school" and won't be storing my favorite destinations anywhere that I don't have full and complete control over........not knowingly anyway.

Hey Easy Rider,

Since the resource that neod192 posted was not created by Ford, I am unable to suggest this as a troubleshooting option. The master reset is available within the settings of the MyFord Touch system, which is why you will see me recommend this procedure time to time.

Kim,

I added destinations and get the traffic reports, but I don't see the destinations in my nav listing. Where do they show up? Or do I need to add them a second time to use Nav to get there and monitor traffic on the nav screen?

Hi tr7driver,

When adding a destination on our website: www.Support.Ford.com it will ask you to name it. Once you save a destination, your active phone must be connected to the MyFord Touch system to access it. Press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel and say SERVICES. From there, you can request directions via voice commands to the name of the saved point that was added. Once it appears on your MyFord Touch screen, press SAVE TO FAVORITES. This will save it to your actual navigation system.

Kim

Hey Easy Rider,

Since the resource that neod192 posted was not created by Ford, I am unable to suggest this as a troubleshooting option. The master reset is available within the settings of the MyFord Touch system, which is why you will see me recommend this procedure time to time.

Kim

Hey, Kim:

OK so let's rephrase a bit.

I think this is a MAJOR oversight on the part of Ford and/or Microsoft.

A "fix" for their oversight has been available for about a year now......and yet my '14 model still has the problem.

It could, no doubt, be fixed with a "patch" that adds a "soft reset" option to the menu.

Doing that should be a trivial exercise for Microsoft.

YET IT ISN'T BEING DONE.

I want to know how to register a SERIOUS complaint to someone at Ford who actually has the power to REALLY look into it

and get it FIXED.......instead of just giving excuses and lip service. No personal offense intended because I know that YOU don't have that power.......but strongly suspect that you can find out who DOES.

I appreciate your responses. Hope you can point me in the right direction.

"Not created by Ford" is a pretty lame reason for not acting on something so simple and useful for the owners.

"Not created by Ford" is a pretty lame reason for not acting on something so simple and useful for the owners.

Came in right handy for my on the 2013 SE Hybrid, used it 3 times when the car was on Sync 3.5.1 -- then did not need it again once I upgraded to 3.6.2. But you're right, one would think it would be pretty easy for developers to adapt that functionality into a 'warm reboot' or 'soft reset' option that the owner could employ without wiping out everything.

Thank you. That is what I was trying to say. :)

Yes, I'm lazy.....and my car is not here right now to follow through.......

How does one check the version of Sync you presently have ?

Sync 3.6.2 was released in August 2013, so if your build date is around or after that, good chance you already have 3.6.2 -- you can go to your syncmyride.com account and it should tell on the right hand side.

Hey, Kim:

...I want to know how to register a SERIOUS complaint to someone at Ford who actually has the power to REALLY look into it

and get it FIXED.......instead of just giving excuses and lip service. No personal offense intended because I know that YOU don't have that power.......but strongly suspect that you can find out who DOES.

I appreciate your responses. Hope you can point me in the right direction. ...

Hi Easy Rider,

Please send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, best phone number, and full name. I'll submit your suggestion and have it associated with your account. Keep an eye out for software updates at: www.Support.Ford.com You can check the current software version right from this website (like jeff_h mentioned). You can also check from the MyFord Touch screen by pressing the 2 gears > HELP > SYSTEM INFORMATION. The last 5 digits of the CCPU number will read: 13171 if the latest software (V3.6.2) has been installed.

Kim

Oops.....forgot the current mileage.

It is less than 3,000.

Thanks, Easy Rider. I'll update your account. :)

Kim

Two reasons for re-opening this thread:

KIM......I still have not heard from anyone except you.

Is this Rebecca person still available ??

[i'll leave the rest of this here just for grins but I answered my own question by looking back in THIS thread.]

I was just about to test the "patch" on my car to see if it would work but didn't because............

The first step says it "installs" something and that made me a little nervous.

Does it install something permanently.....or is the "patch" itself wiped out by the reboot ??

If you have to do the whole procedure each time you need a reboot, I guess it's safe to assume that nothing is installed permanently but I'd like to know for sure.

It just occurred to me that maybe I should go back and look for the thread that supplied the patch in the first place.

Edited by Easy Rider

Two reasons for re-opening this thread:

KIM......I still have not heard from anyone except you.

Hey Easy Rider,

I'll pull up your case and see what is going on. Keep an eye out for a PM from me.

Kim

The Out Of My Touch site is down. Anybody have a backup copy of the fix that they could upload?

I just tried the link in the original post to Out of My Touch site and it worked, but just in case, here's a copy of the zip file and a PDF of the instructions. Make sure you READ THEM and do exactly as it says. It works. I have done this a few times on my 2014 FFH and I keep the USB stick in the car. Good luck!

delayed reboot app.pdf

delayed_reboot.zip

Yeah, it is back up now. Thanks for sharing! Had to do this a year or so ago too. Hopefully this time I'll keep better track of the thing!