Sign in to follow this  
vkri2

Hello all! I'm a hybrid noob :-)

Hi there, forum folks!

I just purchased a 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid a few weeks ago and thought that I'd join and share my experiences. This is my first hybrid vehicle.

I should say that I am a former leadfoot but have since slowed down somewhat :-) My driving conditions typically range from city to highway driving. But since I live in Chicago it's always a traffic jam for me. On the bright side, this gives me a chance to let the car flex it's muscles, so to speak. So far, I am quite happy with the Fuel economy that I get with the new Ford fusion. I am currently working on 42 mpg in somewhat warm weather. However, I do notice that it gives me worse fuel economy in colder temperatures. But I suppose that is to be expected.

Overall, I do like this car. It is still going through it's break in period and I've just about reached an empty tank. Looks like I'm getting about 430 miles per fill up. It's a pretty big improvement over my 19 mpg with my old SUV :-)

Welcome! Always good to hear about someone enjoying their new ride. Still waiting for mine.

Welcome to the forum and to the hybrid world. It sounds like you are adapting quickly and there is no doubt that you will enjoy your new Fusion.

Yeah, I've been reading about how long folks had to wait for the FFH's and decided I'd get something off the dealer lot. I really like that Ford's got all the inventory data online. It makes it a LOT easier to find what I wanted (or at least, what I was willing to settle for, I suppose).

As for the rain... man! I'm glad the Fusion Hybrid's engine stops when I'm not moving. Considering the Eden's was shutdown, the Kennedy was just one big parking lot :-(

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the FFH. What color and options did you get? I bought from dealer stock, and got all that I wanted and then some. I was impatient so compromise was the order of the day.

Simon

Yeah I allowed my dealer to go in and scan Ford's inventory across like 500 dealers, and they found the exact car I wanted 240 miles away. My wait was 2 days and the only drawback was my car had about 250 miles when I received it. Well worth the tradeoff in my opinion.

A few miles on the car is worth the tradeoff for me, too. I even got the engine block heater on my FFH because it got transferred from a dealer in Wisconsin - that's one of the states that have the heater standard. Too bad I live in an apartment so I can't quite use it. The garage I park in has electric outlets all over the place but they're pretty strict on no one but them using it.

My FFH is an Ice Storm / Black combo (would have preferred a different combo but, whatever). I went with the "luxury" package so I got the heated leather seats and backup camera along with the MyFord Touch infotainment system. It's also got Sirius Sat radio (free for who-knows-how-long) but I mainly listen to terrestrial radio for sports and listen to my music stored on my phone so I won't use it past it's free thing.

I also have Navigation - which really sucks!! >:-( ... seriously, this thing is crap. I ran an experiment yesterday where I plugged in an address and this stupid thing took me off the highway, got me onto local roads for miles and then put me back on the same freaking highway! Good thing my phone's got Google Maps. That's what I'll stick to. I'll still use the Nav for EV+, tho.

The only thing I really compromised on was the moonroof - the car they had didn't have a moonroof but I took it anyways. I do miss having one but not so much that I was willing to wait weeks for one to get shipped or driven from another dealership. It's fine.

That's the story! So far, this thing is cranking out 42mpg. It's all cool with me. I heard that there's a lawsuit contesting the 47mpg advertised and my salesperson thinks there's gonna be a compromise of some kind and current owners will get a credit (towards add-ons, perhaps service). I'm hoping she's right!

I'd agree the Nav is the weakest feature of the whole MyTouch experience. Probably need to experiment with the route options. I'd like the map zoom and pan to work a whole bunch better!

The eco route does strange things, so you might want to disable that feature. Also check the avoid ferries, unless you really wish to take a river crossing on a dark stormy night.