Sign in to follow this  
B25Nut

2014 Kia Optima

I agree on the exterior to a degree but the interior on the Optima is not for me at all. The flat dash panel just looks so late 80s/early 90s to me.

All I had to do was sit in the Optima once and it was off my list of potential cars. Plus it was the most expensive.

Steer clear of those hybrids. That ICE-clutch-motor-clutch-six speed transmission is going to be a nightmare.

Although not a hybrid I bought a new Kia Optima in 2007, and with in 9 months traded it in for something else. Everything inside rattled like a bowl of marbles on a bumpy road. Everything outside just felt worn through all ready, steering got sloppy, everything got loose. They seem to jam pack the car full of options and it would appear you get a lot for your money, the problem is nothing in the car lasted all that long.

Just my experience with Kia, but I know I would never even step foot on a Kia dealers lot to consider one of there vehicles again.

Anymore, I'm a little wary about any hybrids that have a higher highway FE rating for than for city, like this Kia: City 36, Hwy 40. It seems to me like the most advanced hybrids have a higher city rating than highway these days.

Anymore, I'm a little wary about any hybrids that have a higher highway FE rating for than for city, like this Kia: City 36, Hwy 40. It seems to me like the most advanced hybrids have a higher city rating than highway these days.

It has to do with the design, the Kia/Hyundai hybrids have an electric motor sandwiched between the ICE & transmission. This means that when you're driving in electric mode the automatic transmission is shifting. It also means that you get less powerful regenerative braking and thus less city MPG. When the ICE is on, it just is connected directly to the wheels through the automatic transmission instead of through a system of gears in an eCVT like our cars.

Kia Optima Hybrid ranked at the very bottom of the latest Consumer Reports "would you buy again" survey. Second from the bottom of the list with the Sonata Hybrid.

My Friend bought a used Hyundai Elantra, and I must admit it is a very nice car. It has nice features, lacks a few the Fusion has, but it has more rear seat room than the Fusion, yet is a smaller car. Would I buy one? nope. Would I recommend one? Maybe, if the person is anti Ford. Would rather see them get Hyundai than a jevy or Camry