fusionTX

Fusion Pet Peeves

I have My Temp on. The driver's temperature always comes back to the same setting, but the fan always goes to a higher speed. The passenger's temp goes back to whatever the driver's is and has to be reset.

B25Nut I see your point and I agree with you it should keep the setting for the passenger as well. (Never tested that before)

For the fan; maybe the car thinks is more fuel efficient when the setting is kept on auto. Who knows but it seems for certain things the car definitely has a mind if its own.

Edited by corncobs

B25Nut, I had the same issue until I hit the MyTemp button. It appears that with MyTemp set it comes back to the previous settings after turning climate off and back on.

There's a setting in MFT where you can tell climate control to use Auto or "Last Setting," isn't there? (Asking because I'm still waiting but looked through the manual once.)

No Daytime Running Lights!

Just saw a Toyota salesman on YouTube who was giving a spiel on why a smart person would buy a Camry Hybrid instead of a FFH, and that was the very first thing he pointed out. He said that users of DLRs are 11% less likely to be involved in accidents. I suppose that's true, and when you consider all the other safety features in the Fusion, leaving out one that's very inexpensive to implement and dates back to the 80s is ludicrous, ridiculous, stupid . . . .

Just saw a Toyota salesman on YouTube who was giving a spiel on why a smart person would buy a Camry Hybrid instead of a FFH, and that was the very first thing he pointed out. He said that users of DLRs are 11% less likely to be involved in accidents. I suppose that's true, and when you consider all the other safety features in the Fusion, leaving out one that's very inexpensive to implement and dates back to the 80s is ludicrous, ridiculous, stupid . . . .

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration "analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effects on the three target crashes".

I was registering the complaint about the passenger temperature setting on behalf of my wife. Personally, I prefer it to go back to the driver's setting since she usually sets it five or more degrees higher or lower than I like it. My Pacifica kept the passenger's setting and when I drove it the next time by myself, it wasn't until I was too hot or too cold that I remembered I had to change hers so that the dual controls weren't fighting one another.

Toyota is desperate if DRLs are their biggest complaint about the FFH. I realized last week that the TCH's lead in sales is probably due to the fact that they are purchased as taxis.

I love my new Fusion Hybrid and barely have scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I'm just sorry I have so much going on right now that I don't have more time to play with it.

In the short time I've owned it, I do have a few pet peeves.

Probably the biggest is that the steering wheel is not open at the bottom.

It seems like I have become accustomed to having one driving hand smack in the middle

bottom of the steering wheel, and this is not possble with the Fusion. On long drives, I can see this

bothering me.

The center console should extend further forward or have a slide forward capability.

It is too far back to rest your right arm while driving.

The coin tray in the center console is also not ergonomically positioned. Too far back.

Nothing earth shattering, but little things sometimes make a big diffence.

I agree on the steering wheel issue. the opening is too small and to add injury to insult, the inside edges are sharp such that it's uncomfortable. When the weather clears here, I may be hitting it with a grinder. Agree on the center console. I had a newer Doge something that had the same setup and it slid forward almost 8 extra inches. What's really pissing me off is the MyFordTouch/Snyc/Navigation/Voice control component system. It has the worst UI I've ever experienced in a car computer. Not well thought out and buggy. I hope to write a detailed review on it when I'm less irritated. I have the cracking noise everyone else is bitching about and I also have a very loud clanking near the passenger side shoulder harness. I suspect it's that little rod in the door column that locks the shoulder belt in place when the forward momentum changes. Reminds me of clicking of the ball-bearings in the Cain Mutiny. Love the car though.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration "analysis found that DRLs have no statistically significant overall effects on the three target crashes".

We'll need to inform the entire nation of Canada about how wrong they are. :)

By the way, there was a significant difference for light trucks, and the report ended by saying that the differences were relatively large (although not reaching statistical significance) and "should not be ignored."

Edited by milleron

Yup, all the Fusions sold in Canada have DRLs. It must be a programming thing to have them on in some versions/models and not in others. I'm sure dealers will be able to turn them on for customers once they are told how to do so. If the Toyota salesmen is using that as a reason for not buying a FFH and to buy a TCH then that's a stretch.

As for my one and only pet peeve. I would say the location of the window and mirrors control on the driver door. I find that it's too slopped down and away. I'm only 5'9" but I usually have to lean forward (just a bit) to reach the driver window button. If Ford was to angle it upwards instead of downwards, then this wouldn't be much of a problem.

Other than that I don't mind the location of the centre console arm rest and the location/distance of the climate controls etc.

As for a place to put your cell phone. I highly recommend you invest in the Proclip cell phone holder. Best purchase I made for this car. Keeps the phone visible, secure and accessible! http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=383&pageid=16770&processor=content&pcategoryid=12945&categoryid=14520&year=2013&lightwindow=true&usermode=_dualselect&v_pcat=12945&v_cat=14520&year=2013&d_pcat=13451&d_cat=NULL&have_holder=true&have_mount=false&p_pageid=1&dtype=

Edited by JSKershaw

I have an Idea on why the fan comes on full blast. I think it's because the computer thinks the car is either too hot or too cold so it comes on full blast. The sensor in the window probably has something to do with how it thinks. I agree with the storage issue with the car is not very good. My mysync doesn't work all the time with my zune and it should its Microsoft too. I think the weather seals on the doors is the weirdist I have ever seen. I hope it lasts, it just seems backwards sort of. I agree with the driver door controls. i alway put the back window down and then realize I opened the wrong one again. And of course my mileage! Sorry to spoil the party.

The center console should extend further forward or have a slide forward capability.

It is too far back to rest your right arm while driving.

The coin tray in the center console is also not ergonomically positioned. Too far back.

I'm 6'3 and the center armrest is perfect for me. I'll have to ask my wife what she thinks. She hasn't commented about it being too far back. She's 5'9

Cup holders for me. Awkward reaching for the cup, however, because of where it is, I was able to rest my arm on it while driving so the armrest on the console was non issue. On the leg hitting the console, this was the reason I didnt go with a Cmax, it was not very comfortable after a while, but didnt bother me as much in the Fusion.

Agreed about the C-Max. The Fusion is much more comfortable for where my legs rest both against the door and the center console.

The cup holders are in a very awkward spot. If only one of us has a beverage it always goes in the right cup holder because I rest my arm across the left one. If both of us have beverages I have to move my arm and I'm constantly bumping against the drinks.

I have quite a few

- To be honest, the touch buttons blow... Every other car I've driven you could easily feel & recall where the buttons are pressed. No real chance with these tiny, touch sensitive buttons that are flush, have no outline or dimples and aren't really illuminated much

- No where to put my phone other than a cup holder...

- The door's have holes to put your hands on. In other car's I've driven there is a bottom to those hand grips, useful for storing things like lighters (I don't smoke) or change. On this car those go right through.

- I can't turn off the headlights and use the parking lamps if the car is not in park. So basically during the day all 4 light modes do the same thing except one that turns on both parking and DRL's... Neither can they be turned off, so if you're being chased good luck.

Are you referring to the touch buttons for the lights and moonroof? We think those work great in our car.

I agree about the phone. If I'm wearing a dress shirt I keep it in my pocket, but if I'm wearing jeans then I like to set it in a cup holder or on the slanty part near the power outlet below the radio/HVAC

I'm on the fence about the door handles not having a bottom. It's nice that people can't leave junk in there, but it was also a useful storage spot on other cars.

What do you mean about the headlamps? The dim bulbs that appear to be DRLs come on with the park lights always. I usually use that setting when driving during the day so that I have DRLs. If you turn the setting all the way to Off or to Auto and it's daylight out then there will be no exterior lights on.

Maybe I'm less particular than the rest of you, but everyone else's grips don't really both me. I'm only 5'8" but my arm is perfectly comfortable on the console; Since my phone is synched to the car, I keep it in either the cup holder or the console and use the bluetooth connection.

If I had to make a list of pet peeves, I guess they would be:

1. For such a technically advanced car, the keyless ignition should not be an option. The jackknife key is SO 90's.
  2. No Daytime Running Lights?
  3. Passenger seat should have more than just a 2-way power option.
  4. Full LED taillights should be at least an option on the SE model. With the awesome looking lights on the Mustang, the Fusion should have the full taillights as well.
  5. Owner's manual does not give instructions on how to use numerous features on the vehicle.

But these are pretty minor - I recently went to the Auto Show in Fort Lauderdale, and there is not another car available today that I would choose over my FFH!

Agree with all of these. The Owner's Manual is huge and it still doesn't address a lot of questions. The LED tail lights like on the HyTi should come on all the hybrids to distinguish them from the gas Fusions I think. And totally agree that keyless should be the standard, not reserved for the HyTi. If the C-Max SEL has keyless then the FFH should too, at least as part of the Luxury Package.

I keep my phone in my pocket, reason being if there is a crash I dont have to worry about the phone flying off, getting damaged, and the car not able to use it to dial 911. Only time I have it out is when I have it tethered to charge, or listening to Pandora over USB. Then its in the cubby under the dash.

Good thinking RE: crashes and finding your phone

For us, it's when you turn on the seat warmers or environment controls - they come on full blast and have to be hit several times to turn down the heat or turn down the fan. We both find this extremely annoying.

Another good point. The C-Max has a slider control for heated seats rather than a push button. I only ever put the heated seat on low so I'm used to pushing it 3 times now every time I turn it on

The climate control is my biggest complaint. We should be able to turn it on (not on Auto) and have all the adjustments at the same settings as our previous drive. Having to turn the speed of the fan down several times a day is the most irritating annoyance. The passenger also should not have to reset their temperature setting each time. About six times over the past five months my seat warmer came on all by itself. Each time I didn't notice it until I started sweating.

Other peeves (mentioned before in the Changes You'd Like to See thread) are The Key, more adjustments for the passenger seat and making Ambient Lighting available on the SE trim.

I wish we had Ambient Lighting!! Grrr Ford.........

Hahaha that's hilarious that Toyota is pointing that out. Just goes to show how far superior our car is. I wonder if Toyota will rush out the next redesign of the TCH. I'd think if their sales drop lower than the FFH on a consistent basis they would be getting worried. I imagine that the gas Fusions will also erode the gas Camry sales.

Interesting.

As for my one and only pet peeve. I would say the location of the window and mirrors control on the driver door. I find that it's too slopped down and away. I'm only 5'9" but I usually have to lean forward (just a bit) to reach the driver window button. If Ford was to angle it upwards instead of downwards, then this wouldn't be much of a problem.

I often open or close the back window when trying to control a front window if I don't look because they're forward. My wife especially doesn't like this since she is shorter and has shorter arms.

Oh yeah, since it was working again I forgot about this one, but there is that annoying problem with streaming audio and MFT. I'm really hoping that's fixed with the next upgrade.

Love the car, but my pet peeves are:

- large gaps on vehicle doors and overlapping trunk do not get cleaned going through a car wash.

- glossy area around drink holders gets scratched up easily.

- radio should allow different bands of favorites on one preset group.

- armrest too far back for smaller drivers.

- inputting a destination in navigation is not simple at all. Let alone saving it in a favorite folder.

- touchscreen at too steep an angle so it usually gets glare.

- closing trunk rattles the license plate.

- path of windshield wipers may wipe a bigger percentage of the windshield, but the wiper arm really can limit visibility.

I had the same issue with the license plate rattle. Solution - take a screwdriver and tighten it. No more rattle.

Oh yeah, since it was working again I forgot about this one, but there is that annoying problem with streaming audio and MFT. I'm really hoping that's fixed with the next upgrade.

What problem is that? i am able to stream music from my phone (samsung note 2) and from Pandora. No issues.

And I can stream from my partner's phone too (iphone something). Just one phone at a time though.

I solved the license plate rattle by using double-sided foam tape on the bottom corners of the plate and the frame around it. The rattle makes a solid car sound cheap. My wife's RX330 had the same problem. They both sound like luxury cars now when we close the trunk and liftgate.

I solved the license plate rattle by using double-sided foam tape on the bottom corners of the plate and the frame around it. The rattle makes a solid car sound cheap. My wife's RX330 had the same problem. They both sound like luxury cars now when we close the trunk and liftgate.

My problem was the dealer didn't screw down the license plate all the way and it rattled. I tightened it and all's good.

What problem is that? i am able to stream music from my phone (samsung note 2) and from Pandora. No issues.

And I can stream from my partner's phone too (iphone something). Just one phone at a time though.

There is a known issue with streaming using bluetooth in MFT 3.5.1 only which causes the songs to advance every few seconds. It has something to do with the time code on the songs.

It doesn't happen to everyone nor all the time, and it did not happen to me at all for the first month or so. Hopefully you will not get hit with this, but lots of people do, and it has nothing to do with the phone, from the searches I did on the problem it's happening on all kinds of phones.

There is a known issue with streaming using bluetooth in MFT 3.5.1 only which causes the songs to advance every few seconds. It has something to do with the time code on the songs.

It doesn't happen to everyone nor all the time, and it did not happen to me at all for the first month or so. Hopefully you will not get hit with this, but lots of people do, and it has nothing to do with the phone, from the searches I did on the problem it's happening on all kinds of phones.

Pandora does that to me too, and its not just with the Fusion, the Flex MFT 3.5.1 is doing to too. but when I have it hooked up to my little speaker box in my shop, it works perfectly.

My pet peeve... no longer having one, and living vicariously through all you lucky ones with HyTi on order and those with good working cars.

Now if only my numbers would come in.

As for a place to put your cell phone. I highly recommend you invest in the Proclip cell phone holder. Best purchase I made for this car. Keeps the phone visible, secure and accessible! http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=383&pageid=16770&processor=content&pcategoryid=12945&categoryid=14520&year=2013&lightwindow=true&usermode=_dualselect&v_pcat=12945&v_cat=14520&year=2013&d_pcat=13451&d_cat=NULL&have_holder=true&have_mount=false&p_pageid=1&dtype=

JS, This is very intriguing, but just what are you using to hold your phone to the Proclip?

JS, This is very intriguing, but just what are you using to hold your phone to the Proclip?

Its a two part system. You pick the adapter that works with the Fusion, then you select the holder that works for your phone. Install the adapter for the car and then screw the phone adapter to the car adapter. I will take a picture of it today and post it later tonight (if I remember). It's not a cheap solution, but it looks amazing and works really well. The best part is, you don't need to screw or glue anything to the car. The adapter will come off with some magic twisting. ;)

I concur with JSKershaw that the proclip is a really nice holder. I had to get a universal holder to go along with the mount because they didnt make a holder with the plug already attached for my phone, but it is stable and secure and easy to use even if i have to unplug the charger each time i take it in and out. With shipping and 10% coupon code it was around $70.

Edited by lmp180psu

I went through the selection process on the Proclip site. The ones with USB connections and chargers looked particularly useful. I wouldn't care about the price because the first thing I'd do every time I got in the car would be to put the phone in its cradle. Unfortunately, the only one that's supposed to be large enough to leave my Galaxy S III in its silicone sleeve has no connections for charging or USB. My question is whether the Proclip models with connectors might allow docking with that relatively thin silicone case.

We'll need to inform the entire nation of Canada about how wrong they are. :)

By the way, there was a significant difference for light trucks, and the report ended by saying that the differences were relatively large (although not reaching statistical significance) and "should not be ignored."

Actually it IS true... in Canada and northern Europe where is started as a standard. However they are darker more of the year and so it does help with them. The US report applies to the US where we (DST not withstanding) have more daylight in winter.