fusionTX

Fusion Pet Peeves

aaronj1159

Checkoput TSB 13-5-3. Specifically deals with the door rattle. Sorry I don't have the link anymore. I printed it off last week.

Edited by airbusguy

aaronj1159

Checkoput TSB 13-5-3. Specifically deals with the door rattle. Sorry I don't have the link anymore. I printed it off last week.

Hey thanks! My build date is after that, but maybe showing it to my dealer can still get something done.

After reading 7+ pages and having had my car ('13 SE) for over six months, I feel like these are my pet peeves. Keep in mind that I'm not mad about them; they're just annoying... some more than others!

Well it's gotten to the point where I have to post it here: I'm getting weary of the interior build quality in my FFH.

Mechanically, the car runs fine. Great even. But while the interior looks and feels nice, I've never heard so many rattles and seen so many misfitting trim pieces in a car this new. I've already had the A Pillar plastic piece between the windshield and drivers window replaced because it was visibly warped and not fitting correctly, but things haven't stopped there.

The plastic piece behind the handle on the inside of the passenger door is loose enough to rattle on slight bumps and rougher highways. Took me forever to find it, thought it was the speaker at first. Now something is rubbing/rattling/clicking down near my left hip, either under the seat or (more likely) the plastic pieces on the lower part of the center console. Urgh. I'm very sensitive to these little sounds, they bug the heck outta me. I also think a couple of other trip pieces are fitting funny around the back window.

As I said I like most things about the car, but this problem is starting to get to me.

This is my #1 pet peeve. This rattle - and it appears from both of the front doors. The FFH truly elevates the car experience by being silent during EV mode. When rattles, that golden silence is ruined... and I get peeved.

My #2 pet peeve is filling the car with gasoline. We all know that the FFH holds 13.5 gallons. Let's say for academic discussion that you run to 0 DTE. When you refill the car, the nozzle will click/stop fueling at 10 gallons. What follows is constant game of "how much fuel can I get before the next click". Sometimes it's 0.1 gallons and other times it's .25 gallons. Regardless, it's an exercise in patience to get to 13 gallons... or even 11 gallons.

My #3 complaint is that the Bluetooth Stereo input doesn't stay selected consistently. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. I just can't see the pattern. Regardless, this is a minor annoyance.

I have quite a few

- Can't turn on re-circulate and the de-fogger at the same time. I am turning on the re-circulate because of poor people and their cars that spew out exhaust right into the air intake of my car. Then my front windshield gets foggy

- Adaptive cruise control does not come to a complete stop even though it could, and doesn't work in slow traffic...

- To be honest, the touch buttons blow... Every other car I've driven you could easily feel & recall where the buttons are pressed. No real chance with these tiny, touch sensitive buttons that are flush, have no outline or dimples and aren't really illuminated much

- No where to put my phone other than a cup holder...

- The door's have holes to put your hands on. In other car's I've driven there is a bottom to those hand grips, useful for storing things like lighters (I don't smoke) or change. On this car those go right through.

- I can't turn off the headlights and use the parking lamps if the car is not in park. So basically during the day all 4 light modes do the same thing except one that turns on both parking and DRL's... Neither can they be turned off, so if you're being chased good luck.

- The climate controls don't really seem to do a good job... 22C doesn't seem like its always the case...

Yeah, but the above are pretty minor to me...

The climate control is my biggest complaint. We should be able to turn it on (not on Auto) and have all the adjustments at the same settings as our previous drive. Having to turn the speed of the fan down several times a day is the most irritating annoyance. The passenger also should not have to reset their temperature setting each time. About six times over the past five months my seat warmer came on all by itself. Each time I didn't notice it until I started sweating.
Other peeves (mentioned before in the Changes You'd Like to See thread) are The Key, more adjustments for the passenger seat and making Ambient Lighting available on the SE trim.

Again, the above is fairly minor... annoying... but minor.

To summarize, I love the car... but there a definitely areas for improvement!

My #2 pet peeve is filling the car with gasoline. We all know that the FFH holds 13.5 gallons.

THIS has been discussed here before, probably several times.

1) This condition is common to ALL recent car models (OK, I don't KNOW about ALL but certainly most.)

They ALL tell you they are empty WELL before they really are.

My Malibu did it. My Prius does it. My Elantra did it.

Get used to it because you aren't going to "fix" that peeve even by trading cars.

2) Trying to "cram" in more gas is a BIG mistake that could be costly, maybe even under warranty.

The owners manual cautions against that. Experience of others says that raw fuel in the vapor recovery system is a costly repair.

Do the second click, sure.......because the first shutoff is sometimes caused by splashing but you should NEVER go beyond the second one.

It isn't worth the risk.

This is my #1 pet peeve. This rattle - and it appears from both of the front doors. The FFH truly elevates the car experience by being silent during EV mode. When rattles, that golden silence is ruined... and I get peeved.

To summarize, I love the car... but there a definitely areas for improvement!

I don't know what your build date is, but, I had annoying rattles from my front doors and found this TSB 13-5-3 regarding this condition. Any FF built before 1/8/2013 can have this TSB applied. The door rattles stopped after this TSB, and have not returned.

I don't know what your build date is, but, I had annoying rattles from my front doors and found this TSB 13-5-3 regarding this condition. Any FF built before 1/8/2013 can have this TSB applied. The door rattles stopped after this TSB, and have not returned.

The TSB can only be applied if the dealer can recreate the issue. It is not automatic.

The TSB can only be applied if the dealer can recreate the issue. It is not automatic.

I didn't say it was automatic on all FF, if you have rattles the TSB can be applied.

I didn't say it was automatic on all FF, if you have rattles the TSB can be applied.

"Any FF built before 1/8/2013 can have this TSB applied."

And....what I meant is you can't just take your car to the dealer and tell them you want the TSB work done without them confirming you have the issue spelled out in the TSB.

Edited by hermans

And....what I meant is you can't just take your car to the dealer and tell them you want the TSB work done without them confirming you have the issue spelled out in the TSB.

Agreed!

And, as we all know, the instant your car realizes it is going to the dealership service area, the rattles will miraculously stop! :ohsnap:

And, as we all know, the instant your car realizes it is going to the dealership service area, the rattles will miraculously stop! :ohsnap:

You aint justa kiddin!

1) This condition is common to ALL recent car models

2) Trying to "cram" in more gas is a BIG mistake that could be costly, maybe even under warranty.

1. Seeing more cases doesn't justify its existence. It just validates that many manufacturers are making the same mistakes. Regardless, it's still my #1 peeve.

2. I'm not "cramming", I'm simply replacing fuel that is used. There's no reason why a 13.5g tank can't use 13g regularly (assuming near 0 DTE). The vapor recovery system won't even come close to being threatened. But you are right. This is a common complaint across all versions of Fusions.

Edited by KLH

That's not exactly what I said.

What I said is that it is a common situation across ALL makes and models of cars......that started maybe 15 years ago and now covers pretty much ALL of them.

But you are not alone with this obsession.

Others have put a gas can in the trunk and actually driven their cars until it flat runs out.........so that they can watch their mileage and then pretty much know how far they can risk going.

That has it's own risks though as many cars have the fuel pump INSIDE the tank and it depends on being covered in fuel for cooling.

If you run it too low too often.......your fuel pump goes KAPOOT.

As is usually the case, using the vehicle AS IT WAS DESIGNED is the best policy.

Don't let it get too low on gas......and don't try and fill it too full.

pet peeves... the only real one is the radio switching inputs when I unplug my phone. Treat the USB input like an AUX input on every other radio, sit there quietly in USB mode until I plug the phone back in. If I want to listen to the radio then I’ll actually switch modes to the radio.

The remote start feature is not smart about selecting when to turn on the defrogger ;) In this climate it’s SO humid that every cool morning needs to be defrogged. (yes, I know, but as kids we always called it the deFROGGER so I still do ;)

honking at me when I get out of the car with the key is a pain. It’s a long walk down the driveway and I often get it when I”m on my way out for some other reason, get out of the car to get the mail and it always makes my neighbors stare at me ;) So I take the keys out of my pocket and stick them in the cup holder. This has got to be worse than just letting me walk away for a moment.

Oh and one other thing. There seems to be nothing between the black metal back of the eyeglass holder and the roof of the car. Some foam or a little fiberglass stuffed in there might keep me from burning my nose when I change into my sunglasses!

honking at me when I get out of the car with the key is a pain. It’s a long walk down the driveway and I often get it when I”m on my way out for some other reason, get out of the car to get the mail and it always makes my neighbors stare at me ;) So I take the keys out of my pocket and stick them in the cup holder. This has got to be worse than just letting me walk away for a moment.

Do you know of any car with push button start that doesn't do this? This is a safety feature so that you know that the car is on and so that you know that the key isn't present should you be getting out & then someone else is driving off with the car without a key.

Do you know of any car with push button start that doesn't do this? This is a safety feature so that you know that the car is on and so that you know that the key isn't present should you be getting out & then someone else is driving off with the car without a key.

I’m trying to get used to just turning the car off at those times, taking my keys out of my pocket and leaving them on the seat seems even worse ;)

ok. I read through all 8 pages and here are my peeves (very minor of course. The car is excellent!)

In no particular order:

- when you use voice activation for the nav, it doesn't confirm the address. Once it understood 'home' instead of a favorite but I didn't realize until I started driving. Most of the time, it's been accurate.

- iPhone integration to reply to text messages. I only receive them

- side mirror adjusters are too far in front (someone mentioned this)

- garage door opener should be built-in to the SE. I hate clipping one to the visor

- push button start should be standard on the SE

- a phone holder would be awesome!

- shark fin antenna should be standard

- trunk liner material could have been better quality

- there should be a gauge showing you instant gas mileage for your current trip (not only after the trip)

- trip stats should have history for the last x # of trips

- cabin temp? (maybe I don't know where to find it)

- DRLs definitely should be standard (everyone mentioned this)

- a way to power on the stereo from the steering wheel (our Sienna has this)

Since I listed those, here's what's really cool (will post in the appropriate thread as well)

- voice recognition. This is unbelievably accurate

- ability to read text messages. 5 stars!

- rolling up and down all windows using keyfob

- door panel security code. I don't use it much but it's super cool!

- 2 in-dash LCD displays. They rock!

- All the preferences that you can set

- LED tail-lights (no offense to Ti owners but I'm one of the few who prefer the non-Ti LEDs)

- seat comfort

- ride is awesome

- shape rocks!

- 911 assist

- 911 assist

I can tell you from experience this is one of the best features. It works and it will keep trying until it connects.

- The front seats are uncomfortable

- You can't raise the passenger seat

- The interior is quite poor when compared even to a Chevrolet Impala

- The lack of physical buttons does suck

- Lane Keeping should have a sensitivity setting, keeping you in your lane more easily (aka not having to go pretty much over the line before correcting)

- Radar cruise should work all the way down to zero. Surprised just as you're about to rear end someone it kicks off and doesn't brake anymore

- Collision warning would be way cooler if it was coloured... So as you're about to rear end someone the center would turn yellow (2 of the led's in the center), orange (4 - 6 of them as you get closer) then the whole bar flash red as you really need to brake

Here's a new "pet peeve":

I have "active park assist" enabled, front and back.

The problem IS that the forward looking sensors are active even when the car is in reverse and moving backwards.

So if I pull into a space far enough that the forward sensor beeps, it then beeps AGAIN when I start it up to leave the space.

I think the forward sensors should be disabled when in reverse.

Active park assist has to be able to draw a map of the entire available space to determine how to steer the car. All sensors are required to do that.

You can't turn off any of the APA sensors. You can turn off the front or rear manual parking sensors warnings.

Active park assist has to be able to draw a map of the entire available space to determine how to steer the car. All sensors are required to do that.

Actually that's not true at all. The Active park assist only uses the two sensors in the left and right side of the front fascia. it can "draw the map" with just those. The front and rear sensors are used to make the beeping, they are not used in any of the steering calculations.

The forward sensors are still useful in reverse as they can still detect if you're "swinging" the front end too close to something.