fusionTX

Fusion Pet Peeves

I love my new Fusion Hybrid and barely have scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I'm just sorry I have so much going on right now that I don't have more time to play with it.

In the short time I've owned it, I do have a few pet peeves.

Probably the biggest is that the steering wheel is not open at the bottom.

It seems like I have become accustomed to having one driving hand smack in the middle

bottom of the steering wheel, and this is not possble with the Fusion. On long drives, I can see this

bothering me.

The center console should extend further forward or have a slide forward capability.

It is too far back to rest your right arm while driving.

The coin tray in the center console is also not ergonomically positioned. Too far back.

Nothing earth shattering, but little things sometimes make a big diffence.

I fully agree about the center console not being in a comfortable position for the right elbow. It seems like a lot of cars have this problem. My father's BMW is so bad that he keeps his leather-wrapped owners manual on top as an arm rest. I don't think the FFH is THAT bad, but I do notice it from time to time.I also feel that it's too low, and I keep my seat in a pretty low position. Consequence of height I guess.

I can see the arm rest being an issue for some since its fixed. For me 6'1" it's the perfect location no complains there.

What bothers me a bit is the shape / location of the front center console "strut" that "holds" up the climate and MFT section. When I'm driving in a comfy position the side of my shin is rested against that and it's uncomfortable after while.

I can see the arm rest being an issue for some since its fixed. For me 6'1" it's the perfect location no complains there.

What bothers me a bit is the shape / location of the front center console "strut" that "holds" up the climate and MFT section. When I'm driving in a comfy position the side of my shin is rested against that and it's uncomfortable after while.

I must sit in a much different position than you. I'm also 6'1" and the center console feels awkward sometimes, but for the first time I don't have any issues with where my legs rest. Interesting. I feel like I'd want the steering wheel to come back towards me more than it's capable of if I want my right arm to rest on that console correctly.

One peeve I have is the key. The back keeps coming off and I had the original key replaced because of it.

Cup holders for me. Awkward reaching for the cup, however, because of where it is, I was able to rest my arm on it while driving so the armrest on the console was non issue. On the leg hitting the console, this was the reason I didnt go with a Cmax, it was not very comfortable after a while, but didnt bother me as much in the Fusion.

The height and position of the console for resting my arm is perfect for me. I'm 5'11". My right leg lightly touches the strut but it hasn't caused discomfort. This is an area of car interior design that can't please all the peope all the time. I use the right side cup holder to make the cup easier to reach. TX, you may want to experiment with having your seat reclined more than you are accustomed to.

The height and position of the console for resting my arm is perfect for me. I'm 5'11". My right leg lightly touches the strut but it hasn't caused discomfort. This is an area of car interior design that can't please all the peope all the time.

Back when I bought my Camry (2006), the XLE version had a console whose top could slide forward. Not sure if Camry's still offer this, but it is a nice option. Note that I did not find the need for it in the Camry. Honestly I have barely adjusted my seat, have not touched my steering wheel, so there are still many adjustments to do.

For me it's Tire Mobility Kit / lack of spare. I can think of a "special" place to put it that involves some Ford Engineers. I would include that removable tray in the console as well. IMHO both are pretty much useless.

Edited by mokee

I have quite a few

- Can't turn on re-circulate and the de-fogger at the same time. I am turning on the re-circulate because of poor people and their cars that spew out exhaust right into the air intake of my car. Then my front windshield gets foggy

- Adaptive cruise control does not come to a complete stop even though it could, and doesn't work in slow traffic...

- To be honest, the touch buttons blow... Every other car I've driven you could easily feel & recall where the buttons are pressed. No real chance with these tiny, touch sensitive buttons that are flush, have no outline or dimples and aren't really illuminated much

- No where to put my phone other than a cup holder...

- The door's have holes to put your hands on. In other car's I've driven there is a bottom to those hand grips, useful for storing things like lighters (I don't smoke) or change. On this car those go right through.

- I can't turn off the headlights and use the parking lamps if the car is not in park. So basically during the day all 4 light modes do the same thing except one that turns on both parking and DRL's... Neither can they be turned off, so if you're being chased good luck.

- The climate controls don't really seem to do a good job... 22C doesn't seem like its always the case...

- The door's have holes to put your hands on. In other car's I've driven there is a bottom to those hand grips, useful for storing things like lighters (I don't smoke) or change. On this car those go right through.

Storing things like lighters, change... or your phone, which is where mine used to sit...

For me it's Tire Mobility Kit / lack of spare. I can think of a "special" place to put it that involves some Ford Engineers. I would include that removable tray in the console as well. IMHO both are pretty much useless.

I forgot about the dumb little tray that constantly got knocked down. Agree 100%

In the Hybrid, just what is under the trunk floor where the spare would go in a non-hybrid? From photos and diagrams I've seen it looks as though the battery is further forward. Is that panel fixed in place?

I look in mine, but it seems that it's on a rail car somewhere in the Southwest ;)

I have quite a few

- Can't turn on re-circulate and the de-fogger at the same time. I am turning on the re-circulate because of poor people and their cars that spew out exhaust right into the air intake of my car. Then my front windshield gets foggy

- Adaptive cruise control does not come to a complete stop even though it could, and doesn't work in slow traffic...

I have never owned a modern car that would let you turn on the re-circ and defogger at the same time. I agree with the issue, but I think most newer cars are like this.

I actually liked the fact that the door handles don't have a bottom. My wife and kids ALWAYS leave stuff in the handles of my current car and it drives me nuts. I hate hearing the change rattle around in the handles when ever the doors are closed or road is not smooth. So as far as I am concerned that is a FEATURE.

Edited by Toz

Tha 12v battery is located on the driver side about a foot from the rear end. The spare tire space has a foam filler which holds the mobility kit consisting of the sealing foam and compressor. The spout to adapt gas cans to the capless fill neck is also under the floor cover, but I recall it being on the right hand side.

Maybe I'm less particular than the rest of you, but everyone else's grips don't really both me. I'm only 5'8" but my arm is perfectly comfortable on the console; Since my phone is synched to the car, I keep it in either the cup holder or the console and use the bluetooth connection.

If I had to make a list of pet peeves, I guess they would be:

1. For such a technically advanced car, the keyless ignition should not be an option. The jackknife key is SO 90's.
  2. No Daytime Running Lights?
  3. Passenger seat should have more than just a 2-way power option.
  4. Full LED taillights should be at least an option on the SE model. With the awesome looking lights on the Mustang, the Fusion should have the full taillights as well.
  5. Owner's manual does not give instructions on how to use numerous features on the vehicle.

But these are pretty minor - I recently went to the Auto Show in Fort Lauderdale, and there is not another car available today that I would choose over my FFH!

I have never owned a modern car that would let you turn on the re-circ and defogger at the same time. I agree with the issue, but I think most newer cars are like this.

I actually liked the fact that the door handles don't have a bottom. My wife and kids ALWAYS leave stuff in the handles of my current car and it drives me nuts. I hate hearing the change rattle around in the handles when ever the doors are closed or road is not smooth. So as far as I am concerned that is a FEATURE.

My 7 year old Chevrolet Optra would let me do it... Switch the vents to the front and you can hear the AC compressor turn on / be added to the engine belt. Press recirculate and it would.

Very very very annoying... I am in charge of my car, its silly it doesn't "let me do it".

I don't really have too many gripes with the car. I love it. I was more comfortable with the more forward placement of the cupholders in my Prius, but that's about it. Oh, and it would be nice to have a dedicated space for a smartphone that would allow you to see the screen, in case you want to run navigation apps or something from there (or change things on Spotify). But really, that's about all I can find. I really do love this car.

I keep my phone in my pocket, reason being if there is a crash I dont have to worry about the phone flying off, getting damaged, and the car not able to use it to dial 911. Only time I have it out is when I have it tethered to charge, or listening to Pandora over USB. Then its in the cubby under the dash.

My 7 year old Chevrolet Optra would let me do it... Switch the vents to the front and you can hear the AC compressor turn on / be added to the engine belt. Press recirculate and it would.

Very very very annoying... I am in charge of my car, its silly it doesn't "let me do it".

Hmmm even my base model work truck Chevy Tundra (06 I think) will not let me do that. If I put it in re-circ the little light on the AC button goes out. But I agree it should be an option if you want it. Neither my current Ford truck or my Dodge will let me do it.

I actually do have one big honking issue with with the HyTi, and it's that it's not sitting in my driveway!!!

For us, it's when you turn on the seat warmers or environment controls - they come on full blast and have to be hit several times to turn down the heat or turn down the fan. We both find this extremely annoying.

For us, it's when you turn on the seat warmers or environment controls - they come on full blast and have to be hit several times to turn down the heat or turn down the fan. We both find this extremely annoying.

The climate control is my biggest complaint. We should be able to turn it on (not on Auto) and have all the adjustments at the same settings as our previous drive. Having to turn the speed of the fan down several times a day is the most irritating annoyance. The passenger also should not have to reset their temperature setting each time. About six times over the past five months my seat warmer came on all by itself. Each time I didn't notice it until I started sweating.

Other peeves (mentioned before in the Changes You'd Like to See thread) are The Key, more adjustments for the passenger seat and making Ambient Lighting available on the SE trim.

The climate control is my biggest complaint. We should be able to turn it on (not on Auto) and have all the adjustments at the same settings as our previous drive. Having to turn the speed of the fan down several times a day is the most irritating annoyance. The passenger also should not have to reset their temperature setting each time. About six times over the past five months my seat warmer came on all by itself. Each time I didn't notice it until I started sweating.

Other peeves (mentioned before in the Changes You'd Like to See thread) are The Key, more adjustments for the passenger seat and making Ambient Lighting available on the SE trim.

B25Nut, I had the same issue until I hit the MyTemp button. It appears that with MyTemp set it comes back to the previous settings after turning climate off and back on.