corncobs

Added LED DRLs into the fog light cover

I got brave today and removed the LED strip which I had attached to body line running over the fog light assembly and added new once right “into” the fog light opening.

post-11595-0-10486100-1365385161_thumb.jpg

To run the wires I had to cut small slots into the plastic which was too bad. If the 3M tape doesn’t hold up with the elements it would be a bit costly since those black trim pieces are about $65 a piece. I'm was also thinking I could add a piece of acrylic over the middle section nicely shaped and bend should be good and keeps the elements out.

I'm a lot happier now, I like the old location too but I didn't like the blue tint of the “old” side emitting LEDs

You can be the judge ... I also added a few more picture to my gallery.

I like it! Too bad the color temps don't match the other lights. Are you going to put HIDs in there to make them match?

I agree but I'm not sure about the HIDs. I have been reading forums about adding HIDs all over the Internet. Unfortunately they are illegal in Illinois as after market replacements and I hate to give the cops a reason to pull me over something I don't need to have.

They have a law change proposal in writing but it was shelved a few years ago... go figure.

The chances that I replace the fog lights with LED are much higher. Maybe even the parking light but then you almost have to do the head lights as well. I haven't looked if there are regular light bulbs which are more white than yellow.

Only in Chitcago, out in the boondoks HID's are all over, and some pretty bad ones too. The thing with the Fusions are the lenses are already focused beams, so adding HID will be OK, its putting HID in the non-focused housings like say a Crown Vic, those are what they are trying to prevent as the light is scattered all over and can blind oncoming traffic, where the Fusions beam pattern will stay the same. The ones that should get busted and fined are those putting show car lights in for street driving. Purple lights are a :nonono:

Edited by acdii

100% agreed about the crazy duds with their HID in almost dark blue and purple I definitely don't wanna be one of those.

I will see; one of my neighbors is a cop I was thinking I ask him about my chances. He his a good guy help my direct neighbor ditch some traffic stops in her old beat up Town Car. The cops would follow her thru town and call him to see if she is alright or not.

It was funny to hear when he told the story during our block party last year.

I found some regular head light bulbs last night that might just do the job for now. .

I got brave today and removed the LED strip which I had attached to body line running over the fog light assembly and added new once right “into” the fog light opening.

attachicon.gifDRLday-night.JPG

To run the wires I had to cut small slots into the plastic which was too bad. If the 3M tape doesn’t hold up with the elements it would be a bit costly since those black trim pieces are about $65 a piece. I'm was also thinking I could add a piece of acrylic over the middle section nicely shaped and bend should be good and keeps the elements out.

I'm a lot happier now, I like the old location too but I didn't like the blue tint of the “old” side emitting LEDs

Nice looking job!

Looks good. Where under the hood did you nwire these to?

Looks good. Where under the hood did you nwire these to?

hybridbear did ask the same question in one of the gallery pictures;

I found the idea in some forum while searching for ways to add DRLs.

They are connect to the wiper blade motor which has power as soon you turn the key.

It might not be the best way but it made sense to me and the LEDs draw almost no current.

I didn't notice any change in brightness while driving thru rain this morning with the wipers on.

thanks since i didnt get the fog lights on mine this was the idea i had in mind it looks good

Can you provide info on the make etc of those leds, they look great. be a nice addition.

Thanks

Simon

Can you provide info on the make etc of those leds, they look great. be a nice addition.

Thanks

Simon

I sure can!

Since I knew I needed short once I found a set of 4" strips with 6 LEDs each at Walmart made by Pilot Automotive.

Unlike the "old" strips which had a blue tint those are really white.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pilot-Automotive-4-Flexi-LED-Strips-2pk-White/23591440

You can use any other brand as well and/or longer strips cut them in half and add new wires.

Just like any other waterproof LED strips the top is covered with clear silicon, unfortunately this makes it really shiny and you can see the "circuit board".

I covered the clear silicon with black silicon only leaving the small area of the LEDs open. ;)

The end with the wire is waterproofed with heat shrink tubing; I reheated this end to seal it even better since it was kinda open.

So far the attached 3M tape is holding up pretty well but time will tell.

I Like those. They look sweet. probably some what easy to do? Thanks for the ideas!

In post #8 ;-)

I spliced them into the power wires for the wiper blade motor with wire splicer under the hood. The motor sits right below the windshield on the driver side.

This circuit has power as soon you turn the car on and is fused with 15 or 20 Amps.

So far I'm very happy with the placement and function of this add-on. I'm still waiting for some company to design an actual insert which can added between the two plastic ribs that have reflectors built in so that the visibility and element protection is even better.

I like the look of the LEDs for DRL.

Where would I wire in the LEDs so they act as DAYTIME running lamps, and not illuminate after dusk when the headlights are on?

I read the same question recently not sure if here or on BOF but someone suggested to use a relay hooked up to the headlights so when the headlights come on the DRL would turn off. Seems a pretty solid solution to me!

This would be neat for us that don't have fog lights.

However I am hoping to add the fog lights (not wired) to my car, just for the look soon.

This would be neat for us that don't have fog lights.

However I am hoping to add the fog lights (not wired) to my car, just for the look soon.

Funny thing, but I've never turned my fog lights on... at least not while driving.