hybridbear

What did you drive before getting your FFH?

What kind of car did the FFH replace?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What type of car was replaced?

2. 2. Where is the car that was replaced from?

• American automaker
    • German automaker
    • Japanese automaker
    • Korean automaker
    • Other European automaker
    • Other automaker (please comment)
  3. 3. Have you owned an alt fuel vehicle before?

• No
    • Yes, conventional hybrid
    • Yes, diesel
    • Yes, PHEV
    • Yes, BEV/EREV
    • Yes, other (please comment)
  4. 4. Did you own another hybrid before?

• No
    • 2010-12 FFH
    • TCH
    • Prius
    • 2010-12 FFH & a TCH
    • 2010-12 FFH & a Prius
    • TCH & a Prius
    • 2010-12 FFH, TCH & a Prius
    • Ford Escape Hybrid
    • Honda Civic Hybrid
    • Honda Insight Hybrid
    • Honda Accord Hybrid
    • Toyota Highlander Hybrid
    • Other hybrid (please comment)
  5. 5. Did you consider non-alternative fuel vehicles when shopping for your FFH?

• No, only hybrids, PHEVs and other alternative fuel vehicles were considered
    • Yes, diesel
    • Yes, gas-only cars

Thats how my dealer is with me, They know I know more about the cars than they do. When I go to other dealers I just take what they say and dispose of it, not worth arguing over any of it, or asking any questions. I just get in the car, check it out, take it for a drive and thats it. When I go to my dealer we talk about everything BUT the cars. They know they dont need to sell me on anything. Heck they learned more from me on what they sell than they learned from Ford!

Ā 

Well...the advantage with me BEING a Ford engineer - I can probably teach them most of the stuff about the cars. Perhaps some of the super fine detail for everything (say about the Fusion), I might not be able to get into - not without additional research on my part - but it's like when I go to the auto show as well. Especially the Detroit auto show - because there ARE so many engineers that attend them, and a LOT of people work on a LOT of cars (both at the OEM level and also from the supplier base around here) - so I'm sure that all of the people that work the shows end up potentially learning a LOT more than they ever really wanted to.

Ā 

The upside though - usually we're probably the best people to ask cuz we're also usually pretty honest about it all. For some of us, it's our baby - it's our pride-and-joy. And I DO have to admit that it IS kinda fun when you're bringing your friends to the auto show (especially they are car guys - for farrrr longer than I was ever one) and then not only can you now publically show them what you've been working on, but you're also able to tell them about what you've been working on in much greater detail as well.

Ā 

And I have also found that there are "car guys" and then there are "CAR GUYS". (Especially on internet forums).

Ā 

I can't say that I would know everything about my car or all of Ford's cars (and/or Lincolns) or all cars in general. But it does help knowing that I can learn about them in relatively short periods of time. For the most part. But it's fun. I like teaching.

Ā 

P.S. funny is when you walk into a dealership and because you've worked on a particular car so intimately, that you can put it into like the engineering mode that only you might know about (or you out of a very tiny handful of people in the world) and you can like see the "panic face" on the dealership/sales guy as they're so worried that you're going to break something. lol...that's always fun. lol. :D

Edited by alpha754293

My first after the service was a 69 Ford Galaxy 2dr with a speed tuned 350hp engine. Great car

Next was an old 4dr Galaxy, that was in amazing condition. I could afford that one, as opposed to the 1st Galaxy.

A Chevy Nova came next, a 2dr, with the six, and a 2 speed tyranny! At least that's what I remember. Think it was a 72.

2 VW Golfs were next, both 4drs with sunroofs and manual tran. Really nice drivers. Lots of QC issues.

About 1983 a nice Dodge Colt (made by Mistubishi) with a dual range 4 spd. Nice hatchback, for a cheap car.

Also at that time the VW was totaled and for a short time we had an Olds sedan.

I think a Mazda 626 was next about 1984. Another stick trans.

2 Honda Accords followed, 2 year apart. Again, manual trans. I think a 1996 and a 1998.

Just before the Hondas was a Nissan Stanza, basically a Maxima without the engine. Really well equipped. Kept it 8 years, with just 50M miles on it. Absolutely perfect car

Along with the 96 Honda, to replace the Stanza we got a Maxima, a 2004.

Moved from MN to SC with the Honda and Maxima.

Replaced the Honda with a 2006 Mustang GT convert, which is a current car.

Replaced the Maxima with the current FFH 2013.

Sorry I missed this :(

Ā 

I am 62 (and proud of it LOL)

Ā 

46 Dodge Coupe

54 Buick Special sedan

63 1/2 Galaxie 500 fastback 390 FMX
63 Galaxie 500XL Convertible with a 405 HP 406 three duces all factory
65 F100 highboy 4x4 4 speed and a 390
69 LTD great car
71 LTD Brougham another great car
74 Comet GT 302 4 speed

76 VW type 3 fastback

79 VW diesel Rabbit
70 F100 2WD
77 F100 still have it

74 Corvette Coupe hopped up Still have it

74 Corvette Convertible numbers matching Still have it
86 Bronco II still have it

86 Buick Park Ave
97 F150 Lariat super cab
99 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4
2000 F150 Lariat super cab
2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4
2005 F150 Lariat super crew
E450 motorhome chassis with V10

2007 Pontiac G6 GT hard top convertible

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid (so far this could very easily be my favorite car ...)

Loved them all ....... :)

Edited by rjent

God no LOL too chevy for me. That funky sideways steering wheel ... what was that??????

Oh man a diesel rabbit! What, no Vega? :)

I had 2 of them, one was actually a decent car with no rust. The first one lost the back glass when I turned on the radio.

I had 2 of them, one was actually a decent car with no rust. The first one lost the back glass when I turned on the radio.

But you also bought a Prius ..... :hysterical3:

I made a killing on trade in, got back all I paid for it and more.

I am 51.

Ā 

My first car was as a sophomore in college. i can't really remember all the car years.

Ā 

Used Chevy Monza

Used Chrysler LeBaron

New Honda Accord

New Mazda 626

New Jeep Grand Cherokee

2002 Jeep Liberty

2003 Honda Element

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Ā 

This is my second hybrid. I got one of the very first Camry Hybrids in the inaugural year. Paid MSRP as they were in high demand, and I think, Toyota's only hybrid alternative to the Prius at the time. It was fully loaded ( navigation, pb start, heated seats, sun roof) . No backup Camera that year. Paid 31,000.

Was a lot of money, but the car proved worthy. Sold it for 12,000 on Craigslist the day I picked up my Fusion. It did qualify for a full tax credit of $2,600, which is part of the reason the price was high, and why I needed to get it before the credit was halved.

Ā 

Seven years after the Camry, paid 33,750 (after rebates) for a fully loaded Fusion Hybrid Titanium.

Ā 

Only looked at hybrids. Did look at the 2012 Camry Hybrid to see how it looked seven years later, and was not impressed. Actually preferred the finishes and leather in my 2007.

Ā 

Only other car I considered was the Avalon Hybrid. Test drove a regular Avalon and a hybrid. I liked the leather finish in the Avalon, but to get a fully loaded one, would cost in the 40s, and the Toyota mafia in Houston wasn't really dealing.

Ā 

The car I really wanted was the Fusion Hybrid. I loved the looks and everything it offered. I really wanted to like this car. I considered the Energi for a second, but the economics didn't add up, and I needed the extra trunk space.

Did not know what to expect with all different mileage information trickling in, but I can now say that I could not be happier about my choice. It's an amazing car. And I see more of them on the road every day.

Edited by fusionTX

I am 51.

Ā 

My first car was as a sophomore in college. i can't really remember all the car years.

Ā 

Used Chevy Monza

Used Chrysler LeBaron

New Honda Accord

New Mazda 626

New Jeep Grand Cherokee

2002 Jeep Liberty

2003 Honda Element

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Ā 

This is my second hybrid. I got one of the very first Camry Hybrids in the inaugural year. Paid MSRP as they were in high demand, and I think, Toyota's only hybrid alternative to the Prius at the time. It was fully loaded ( navigation, pb start, heated seats, sun roof) . No backup Camera that year. Paid 31,000.

Was a lot of money, but the car proved worthy. Sold it for 12,000 on Craigslist the day I picked up my Fusion.

Ā 

Seven years after the Camry, paid 33,750 (after rebates) for a fully loaded Fusion Hybrid Titanium.

Ā 

Only looked at hybrids. Did look at the 2012 Camry Hybrid to see how it looked seven years later, and was not impressed. Actually preferred the finishes and leather in my 2007.

Ā 

Only other car I considered was the Avalon Hybrid. Test drove a regular Avalon and a hybrid. I liked the leather finish in the Avalon, but to get a fully loaded one, would cost in the 40s, and the Toyota mafia in Houston wasn't really dealing.

Ā 

The car I really wanted was the Fusion Hybrid. I loved the looks and everything it offered. I really wanted to like this car. I considered the Energi for a second, but the economics didn't add up, and I needed the extra trunk space.

Did not know what to expect with all different mileage information trickling in, but I can now say that I could not be happier about my choice. It's an amazing car. And I see more of them on the road every day.

Even here in the Myrtle Beach SC area they are showing up more frequently. I know some are rental, since a LOT of tourists come here year round. Still, when I see something besides a plain jane SE I know it is not a rental. Love driving mine, and even have passed up driving the GT convert a couple of nice days just to wheel the FFH around some more.

2005 Acura TL with Nav and a manual - All my cars until now were manuals

1. 1997 Ford F-150 (teal, the Blue Beast)

Had the 5.4L Triton V8 and would get me wherever I wanted to go without any fuss and the 4x4 got me out of anywhere without a fuss. Got it with 120,000 miles on it and I drove it to 215,000 miles before it wouldn't go any further. From this experience, I vowed to not let my mechanical inadequacies stop me from being able to revive my beloved vehicles.

Ā 

2. 2006 Chevy Colorado

POS, drove it for 1 month, hated it, and gave it back to get the following.

Ā 

3. 2008 Chevy Silverado (white, the White Stallion)

5.3L V8 displacement on demand (4 cylinder mode). Rocked just as well as my F-150, but just wasn't the same, so I never really grew attached to it.

Ā 

4. Still own, 2012 Harley-Davidson XL883N Iron Sportster (flat denim black, original name: Zooey (deschanel), currently named Sable after engine conversion)

883cc engine was underpowered, but this little bike still had some pep. I put 5000 miles on it over the winter from 2011 to 2012 before I decided that it wasn't enough power to get my fat booty around traffic on 2 lane roads. It kept it garaged most of the summer due to a fault VSS, that was going to be replaced by the dealer when I got the new engine on. I installed a Hammer Performance 1250 kit. 1250cc cylinders with 15deg domed pistons and ported heads with Hammer Performance proprietary Impact 560 High Lift Cams. Engine was tuned myself with help and advice from XL Forum. Went from 50hp at 45 mpg from the dealership floor to >100hp with the same 45 mpg efficiency. Absolute beast now, looking forward to riding more.

Ā 

5. Still own, 1986 Ford Bronco II (white, the Broncosaurus)

Currently a project car. The original 2.9L V6 engine can get at best 16 mpg (~25mpg new). I believe this is due to fuel leaks and just poor upkeep on the vehicle overall. I bought it Spring 2012 for a personal technical exercise. I plan on pulling the gasoline fuel injected engine and dropping in a Volkswagen TDI Common Rail Clean Diesel. Going to be a huge electronics mess, but I want to learn as much as I can about this engine, so best way is to for me to learn as I go. With the BII weight vs a Passat TDI, I expect to get at least 25 mpg, with a 27 gallon tank, that's almost 700 miles to a tank. Engine specs on the 2.9 vs the TDI are almost the same. It will have plenty of torque for offroading. If it works, I plan on getting a tuner system, cleaning up the frame, lifting, and putting on some larger tires for more serious offroading.

Ā 

6. New 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium (Bordeaux Reserve, the Fuzzi)

Good so far, looking forward to tweaking with it when I get comfortable.

Ā 

7. Upcoming, 1967 Buick LeSabre

Going to do a full resto-mod on this boat when I get the garage space.

I think I recall them all. ;)

Ā 

1962 Ford Fairlane (purchased when I was 15)

1963 Ford Fairlane GT

1967 Ford Mustang coupe

1973 Ford Pinto Runabout

1973 Ford Mustang Grande

1973 Ford Pinto Runabout

1977 Chevy Camaro (first brand new car)

1979 Ford Mustang Turbo

1980 Datsun 200SX

1984 Pontiac Fiero 2M4

1985 Mazda Pickup

1986 Pontiac Grand Am

1967 Ford Mustang coupe (restored)

1978 Fiat 124 Spider (restored)

1987 Ford Mustang GT

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (current)

2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (current)

Ā 

Hmmm. Do I detect a theme, with a slight break in the middle? LOL

You sure have a lot of F's in your list even if the make wasn't Ford ;-) other than that looks like you are true blue blood :-))

My first car was a Ford Explorer, but my first new car (and previous choice) was a 6 speed automatic '06 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Sport.

Ā 

That thing doesn't hug the road, it makes sweet love to the road and then breakfast in the morning.

Ā 

My wife had a PT Cruiser until a guy ran a stop sign. Silverado truck vs PT Cruiser @55MPH. Her car ended up a foot shorter. She t-boned him, as it was a through street for her.

Ā 

We looked at a lot of cars, she fell in love with a Dodge Dart. We tried the Fusion and she liked it, but wasn't in love with it. One look at safercar.gov (complaints) and I said no to the Dart.

Ā 

So we compromised, I got the Fusion, she got the Mazda. Her commute is about 80 miles/day, mine is 50.

I actually haven't done the poll yet.....because we haven't made the decision on what car to buy yet. I suppose that doesn't disqualify me from saying what an FFH would be replacing, IF we buy one.

Ā 

I like the idea of a complete list....now let's just see if I can dredge the correct info out of the swamp of memory:

Ā 

1967 Opel Kadett Rallye

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250S

1973 Dodge Ram Club Cab

1966 SAAB Typ 96 2-stroke sedan

1975 SAAB 99 GL 2-dr sedan

1967 SAAB Typ 95 2-stroke wagon

1978 SAAB 99 LE 4-dr hatchback

1977 SAAB 99 LE 2-dr hatchback

1986 Mazda 626

1983 SAAB 900 4-dr

1979 SAAB 900 Turbo hatchback

1986 SAAB 9000 hatchback

1990 SAAB 9000 hatchback

1994 SAAB 9000 hatchback

2001 SAAB 9-5t wagon (lease)

2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 4x4

2004 SAAB 9-5T wagon (lease)

2004 SAAB 9-5T wagon (still driving it)

Ā 

It occurs to me that this list might also do a good job of explaining why we're taking so long (been doing test drives since mid-Winter) to decide on a new car.

I actually haven't done the poll yet.....because we haven't made the decision on what car to buy yet. I suppose that doesn't disqualify me from saying what an FFH would be replacing, IF we buy one.

Ā 

I like the idea of a complete list....now let's just see if I can dredge the correct info out of the swamp of memory:

Ā 

1967 Opel Kadett Rallye

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250S

1973 Dodge Ram Club Cab

1966 SAAB Typ 96 2-stroke sedan

1975 SAAB 99 GL 2-dr sedan

1967 SAAB Typ 95 2-stroke wagon

1978 SAAB 99 LE 4-dr hatchback

1977 SAAB 99 LE 2-dr hatchback

1986 Mazda 626

1983 SAAB 900 4-dr

1979 SAAB 900 Turbo hatchback

1986 SAAB 9000 hatchback

1990 SAAB 9000 hatchback

1994 SAAB 9000 hatchback

2001 SAAB 9-5t wagon (lease)

2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 4x4

2004 SAAB 9-5T wagon (lease)

2004 SAAB 9-5T wagon (still driving it)

Ā 

It occurs to me that this list might also do a good job of explaining why we're taking so long (been doing test drives since mid-Winter) to decide on a new car.

Pretty awesome list with all the Saabs!

Ā 

My first car was a Ford Explorer, but my first new car (and previous choice) was a 6 speed automatic '06 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Sport.

Ā 

That thing doesn't hug the road, it makes sweet love to the road and then breakfast in the morning.

Ā 

My wife had a PT Cruiser until a guy ran a stop sign. Silverado truck vs PT Cruiser @55MPH. Her car ended up a foot shorter. She t-boned him, as it was a through street for her.

Ā 

We looked at a lot of cars, she fell in love with a Dodge Dart. We tried the Fusion and she liked it, but wasn't in love with it. One look at safercar.gov (complaints) and I said no to the Dart.

Ā 

So we compromised, I got the Fusion, she got the Mazda. Her commute is about 80 miles/day, mine is 50.

What complaints are there about the Dart? It is a very nice looking car, it seems like there are starting to be quite a few on the roads around here.

Pretty awesome list with all the Saabs!

Ā 

What complaints are there about the Dart? It is a very nice looking car, it seems like there are starting to be quite a few on the roads around here.

Ā 

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action?searchType=PROD&prodType=V&targetCategory=A&activeTab=0&searchCriteria.model_yr=2013&searchCriteria.make=DODGE&searchCriteria.model=DART&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1508816

Ā 

Parking break recall, but hit complaints and check fatalities. I found the news report confirming the complaint.

1991 Geo Prizm

1999 Volkswagen Golf

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL

Wasn't there some issue w Chrysler having to rework a lot of the drivetrain engineering? Something about the car not satisfying potential buyers because it was mor show than go. I agree they are nice looking. Unfortunately Chrysler continues to trail the US car mfgrs. They are also making some awesome performance vehicles!

Wasn't there some issue w Chrysler having to rework a lot of the drivetrain engineering? Something about the car not satisfying potential buyers because it was mor show than go. I agree they are nice looking. Unfortunately Chrysler continues to trail the US car mfgrs. They are also making some awesome performance vehicles!

If I wanted something with a little more go, I was going to wait for the Dart SRT4. Knew a guy that had the original SRT4 (Neon). Car would go like stink.

I can't remember how old I am.

Ā 

'67 VW bug (in 1975)

'68 VW bug (in 1980)

'82 Ford Fiesta

'86 Ford Aerostar (yep, kids)

'89 Chevy Suburban

'93 Ford Escort

'94 GMC Suburban

'99 Saab 9-5

'02 Prius

'04 Prius

'13 FFHTi

Ā 

Considered another Prius but it seemed overdone; plus they have reduced the ground clearance so low that I doubt it does well in snow. Was tempted by the Lexus ES300h. But the Fusion was juuuust riiight.

I can't remember how old I am.

Ā 

'67 VW bug (in 1975)

'68 VW bug (in 1980)

'82 Ford Fiesta

'86 Ford Aerostar (yep, kids)

'89 Chevy Suburban

'93 Ford Escort

'94 GMC Suburban

'99 Saab 9-5

'02 Prius

'04 Prius

'13 FFHTi

Ā 

Considered another Prius but it seemed overdone; plus they have reduced the ground clearance so low that I doubt it does well in snow. Was tempted by the Lexus ES300h. But the Fusion was juuuust riiight.

So you didn't want to start looking at a $40,000 car? With many of the options we put on our FFH's, at least on mine, the price is a tad over $45M. Of course I don't have the genuine bamboo trim. Damn!

So you didn't want to start looking at a $40,000 car? With many of the options we put on our FFH's, at least on mine, the price is a tad over $45M. Of course I don't have the genuine bamboo trim. Damn!

Ā 

$45M? You paid $45,000,000?