hybridbear

What did you drive before getting your FFH?

What kind of car did the FFH replace?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What type of car was replaced?

2. 2. Where is the car that was replaced from?

• American automaker
    • German automaker
    • Japanese automaker
    • Korean automaker
    • Other European automaker
    • Other automaker (please comment)
  3. 3. Have you owned an alt fuel vehicle before?

• No
    • Yes, conventional hybrid
    • Yes, diesel
    • Yes, PHEV
    • Yes, BEV/EREV
    • Yes, other (please comment)
  4. 4. Did you own another hybrid before?

• No
    • 2010-12 FFH
    • TCH
    • Prius
    • 2010-12 FFH & a TCH
    • 2010-12 FFH & a Prius
    • TCH & a Prius
    • 2010-12 FFH, TCH & a Prius
    • Ford Escape Hybrid
    • Honda Civic Hybrid
    • Honda Insight Hybrid
    • Honda Accord Hybrid
    • Toyota Highlander Hybrid
    • Other hybrid (please comment)
  5. 5. Did you consider non-alternative fuel vehicles when shopping for your FFH?

• No, only hybrids, PHEVs and other alternative fuel vehicles were considered
    • Yes, diesel
    • Yes, gas-only cars

If I list all the cars I have owned over the past 30some years, it would be 2 pages! :)

Ā 

Ā 

However, since 2003

Ā 

2001 Crown Vic Sport(Rare)

1999 F350 Dually Diesel Crewcab LB

2007 Prius Base

2008 Hyundai Veracruz

2009 Camry Hybrid

2010 Fusion Sport

2010 Flex SEL EB

2010 Fusion Hybrid(currrent)

2012 F150 Screw EB

2013 Fusion Hybrid SE

(soon) 2013 Fusion HyTi

Ā 

Out of all those, the 2 I regret getting rid of, the 2010 Sport, just burned too much gas and had this problem of causing my right foot to turn into a brick, and the other is the 2010 Flex Ecoboost. You never know how much something is actually worthy until its gone. My 2010 Fusion Hybrid though has been rock solid and getting even better now with nearly 40K on it., Finding it much easier to get high EPA on it. I think driving the 13 for a while helped me maximize driving the 10.

It's so strange to me when I ride in someone else's car or have a rental while ours is in the shop to not have silence at stops and smooth electric acceleration.

When I had the loaner for one day, it was a Focus, and we came to a stop light and I thought, why is the engine running? Then realized, uh, yeah, thats actually a good thing!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The C-Max Energi is priced much closer to the price of the regular C-Max. The Fusion Energi commands such a price premium that I don't know how it could be worth it. I don't think the C-Max Energi would be worth it either, except for the current tax credit.

If I liked the C-Max, the Energi would actually be practical for us in daily use. With the 20 mile range (provided that it gets it), we could go to town and back and not use gas, or we could drive on the highway in Hybrid mode, and glide through town to and from the offices, then switch back to Hybrid once we leave town. I briefly considered the Fusion NRG Ti, but the premium on it, even with the so called tax credit of $50( thats about what it actually amounts to in cash), it wouldnt be worth it, the returns in gas savings just isnt there. The Cmax though, Maybe.

The tax credit is a credit, not a deduction. It is $3750 CASH from the IRS. I plugged it into TurboTax to test and make sure. It is not a deduction, it is a credit. Credits equal cash from the IRS. With the $3750 credit, the C-Max NRG is only about $700 more than the hybrid in base price.

That is also dependent on how much you made, and how much your refund is before the credit. If you are already getting back everything, then its not going to give you back more. It doesnt give you a refund of $3750 unless you paid out that much in taxes. It reduces your tax burden by that amount. So for some people, it's good, others, worthless. Not my first hybrid tax credit :) Got one with the Prius, and the TCH. I gained $50.