GrySql

Shutters buzzing or something else?

Yeah mine does that too every now and then, along with a fan in the trunk area for the HVB sometimes stays on or comes on after I shut down... I don't worry about them, plenty of monitoring systems doing their thing and if the car needs to buzz or whirr on its own, so be it.

I got that the other night also. Wasn't sure what it was, so I put the keys in my pocket, did not put my foot on the brake, and hit the starter, then hit it again to turn accessories off. Noise stopped! ??

Hello, i just purchased my 2013 ford fusion hybrid SE. I have every available option (it was supposed to be a titanium but my dealership charged me the same and gave me an se...) I am actually hearing an electrical buzzing sound while driving, without braking. i've heard it accelerating, going down a hill with cruise on, braking.. it's loud and my wife was very freaked out that our kids were going to get electrocuted. I havent even purchased my first tank of gas yet.

Your comment about the SE vs HyTi is a bit disconcerting. Maybe you could create a thread in the "Buying, Leasing, Ordering" section to explain exactly what happened there...

Could you please elaborate a little more about this noise? There are a lot of normal noises you'll hear when driving such as the electric motors whirring to propel the car or while braking. As is mentioned earlier in this thread there's also a buzzing noise as the friction brakes pressurize to have stopping power since this car doesn't have a brake booster that is fed from the engine vacuum pressure.

I am actually hearing an electrical buzzing sound while driving, without braking. i've heard it accelerating, going down a hill with cruise on, braking.. it's loud and my wife was very freaked out that our kids were going to get electrocuted. I havent even purchased my first tank of gas yet.

We like to help but if you think it is that abnormal, have it checked - soon.

Take the car back to the dealer you bought it from and ask the Service Department to have a hybrid trained technician/mechanic drive with you.

While driving, describe the odd noises you hear to that 'expert' and have him explain them to you.

If those noises are not normal he can tell you and get them repaired.

Edited by GrySql

Okay, more buzzing is occurring as time (and miles) pass, it is really noticeable.

If this is indeed the brake booster pump running I think mine is a little extraordinary.

Another Forum member heard my car start up and asked what all the noise was, I said 'the brake booster', he said that he nor his wife had never heard that sound before.

He has listened to his car since and still has a quiet car, not anything like mine.

I believe him, after all it's B25Nut!

The question is: are the rest of you still hearing this loud buzzing coming from the front, ICE side of the engine bay at start-up, idle and other times when the car is running?

I hear it intermittently now with the car running, parked or going slow.

When on the road driving I don't hear it, too many other things going on under the hood I suppose.

I don't get any dash display Alerts, all the start-up dash lights go out like they are supposed to.

Any ideas why mine runs so often?

(This car is so much a computer I want to say 'when it Boots' not 'start-up' - like my home computer...) :)

I

Okay, more buzzing is occurring as time (and miles) pass, it is really noticeable.

If this is indeed the brake booster pump running I think mine is a little extraordinary.

Another Forum member heard my car start up and asked what all the noise was, I said 'the brake booster', he said that he nor his wife had never heard that sound before.

He has listened to his car since and still has a quiet car, not anything like mine.

The question is: are the rest of you still hearing this loud buzzing coming from the front, ICE side of the engine bay at start-up, idle and other times when the car is running?

When on the road driving I don't hear it, too many other things going on under the hood I suppose.

I don't get any dash display Alerts, all the start-up dash lights go out like they are supposed to.

(This car is so much a computer I want to say 'when it Boots' not 'start-up' - like my home computer...) :)

I've heard this buzzing since the beginning of ownership. I can make the noise appear at will. After the car "Boots", and the buzzing stops, apply the brakes 3 to 5 times, the boost pump starts for a few seconds then stops, apply the brakes another 3 to 5 times, same thing happens. Make sure the AC pump is off, it has a god awful buzzing all by itself.

I've heard this buzzing since the beginning of ownership. I can make the noise appear at will. After the car "Boots", and the buzzing stops, apply the brakes 3 to 5 times, the boost pump starts for a few seconds then stops, apply the brakes another 3 to 5 times, same thing happens. Make sure the AC pump is off, it has a god awful buzzing all by itself.

Okay, no problem making mine buzz.

Mine buzzes with ease even without the ICE being on, it buzzes first thing when I start it in the morning without using the brakes at all, and any other time, etc.

Now the reverse question: Why is B25Nut's car so silent?

Your, his and my car are almost the exact same vintage, all three were made close together on the production line.

What's the difference?

Gkinla, if you see our SA before I do, would you mind asking that question?

I'll be up that way next month.

Mine buzzes with ease even without the ICE being on, it buzzes first thing when I start it in the morning without using the brakes at all, and any other time, etc.

Your, his and my car are almost the exact same vintage, all three were made close together on the production line.

What's the difference?

Perhaps the next step should be for B25Nut to pump the brake on his car while in EV Mode and stopped to see if his buzzing is quieter than yours.

What's the difference?

GrySql, I'll be there Friday getting a 10K oil change. I'll ask our SA and I'll listen to other 2013 FFHs. I'm friendly with the car ranglers and I'll ask to listen when they move the cars around. With our build dates so close, I can't imagine why B25Nuts FFH doesn't make the same buzzing noise when the boost pump comes on.

I noticed the sound when GrySq pulled in and came to a stop in our driveway. It began again when he "started up" to leave and the sound continued as he left the driveway. Maybe it's due to the fact my FFH in is EV+ mode whenever it's on my property, but my car is usually completely quiet from the time I turn the key until I reach the main road (except for the 3 times or so that the ICE had to run due to low SOC). My wife has never heard a sound standing outside when I leave or arrive. Occassionally I'll hear for a short period the sound of the shutters (and probably the pump) but never for the extended amount of time and intensity that I heard with GrySq's.

Have you checks the climate load to see if you are pulling power when you hear the noise? Maybe its the compressor doing it and not the brake booster. The Compressor makes awful noise, and all this time I just thought the one in the 10 was about to fail, nope, they all make that noise.

I checked the start-up noises this morning.

The brake booster pump started when the car first starts in EV, then stops until I apply the brakes again.

It buzzes almost every time the pedal is pressed.

Next, I turned on the A/C like the wife prefers it (foot/dash vents, A/C on, 72F, not Auto) - there is a different kind of pump noise for that.

It is noticeable and sounds different enough that the two sounds can't get confused, the A/C is a bit quieter.

When they are both running together, it is quite a racket in the garage.

Agree the AC is slightly more subdued but the pump for the brakes can be a bit noisy. Some times I never hear it at all and other times it's a fairly pronounced sound. We have to back out of the driveway and in the process it makes a bit of noise. The noise does not change much so not a concern for me. If it started quiet and got louder that would be a big concern but it's just a pump sound without a lot of variation. Believe that is the standard operating noises.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have noticed on several occasions that my car is making an electric buzzing after I shut the car off. I'll go down to my car 15 minutes later and it's still making the noise. I restart the car to stop it.

This happens about once a month. Just wanted to put that out there in case it was more widespread.

I don't know what the noise is or why it's on, or even if its normal - which I doubt.

Yeah mine does that too every now and then, along with a fan in the trunk area for the HVB sometimes stays on or comes on after I shut down... I don't worry about them, plenty of monitoring systems doing their thing and if the car needs to buzz or whirr on its own, so be it.

I had my 2015 FFH parked in the driveway for several hours and then pulled it into the garage (ICE never started). I noticed this same faint buzzing noise coming from the rear area of the car (I don't think it is brake related or HVB fan related). I checked on it 5-10 minutes later and it was still doing it but then stopped shortly after that.

Was it ever determined (maybe another thread) what causes this noise?

I had my 2015 FFH parked in the driveway for several hours and then pulled it into the garage (ICE never started). I noticed this same faint buzzing noise coming from the rear area of the car (I don't think it is brake related or HVB fan related). I checked on it 5-10 minutes later and it was still doing it but then stopped shortly after that.

Was it ever determined (maybe another thread) what causes this noise?

Yes, it is the fuel evap system.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7319-fuel-pump-continues-running-15-minutes-after-turning-car-off/?p=70259

Yes, it is the fuel evap system.

Just read that entire thread and I will sleep easy tonight. That was what I was hearing. Thank you.

Fuel Evap System? When I had my Escape hybrid, I pointed out the funny looking way the window had a opening for something, and someone said "that's for the fuel evap system." Well, sure, it made a thunk-kinda noise every so often when sitting still, but never sounded like it was running. These hybrids sure are weird creatures, aren't they?