GrySql

Shutters buzzing or something else?

Some of us have a noticeable electric type buzzing right after starting the FFH.

Some comments were posted in an inappropriate thread so I started this one.

The Silent Start mode makes this very noticeable in my garage. Mine does it regardless of the HVAC settings.

Some ideas that have been advanced for this startup buzzing are: noisy shutter actuator motor, AC compressor or the electric hydraulic pump for the brakes.

Anyone looked into this phenomenon?

Yes, it is really loud inside the garage. Sounds like a pump as it seems to get a bit higher in pitch toward the end of the 5 seconds it runs like the pressure cuts it off. I like the brake idea.

Yes, it is really loud inside the garage. Sounds like a pump as it seems to get a bit higher in pitch toward the end of the 5 seconds it runs like the pressure cuts it off. I like the brake idea.

If we make an assumption that the other cracking noise we're hearing while driving is the shims in the brake cylinders not seating the pads properly, then.....

Can you make the stretch to the brake pump needing to pressurize the system after it sits for a while?

Hence the pump running on a cold start.

Could these sounds be related?

So, I trotted out to the garage this morning, lifted the hood so I could look at the engine(s), got in and started the car and whipped around to watch the engine bay - not a sound, a nice and Silent Start. Of course....

The shutters opened, then closed silently.

More testing is needed.

I have never heard a sound other than the rumble of the ICE kicking in during a cold start, and mine is in a garage too.

We often hear the buzzing noise even before starting the vehicle or after shutting it off. We alo hear it when coming to a stop at traffic lights which has made me think it's the shutters. Every time my wife drops me off at work I hear the buzzing when she stops to let me out. I guess we need to investigate further...

OH that's the Government Mandated Noise makers! you are one of the lucky few to get the test vehicle! :)

We often hear the buzzing noise even before starting the vehicle or after shutting it off. We alo hear it when coming to a stop at traffic lights which has made me think it's the shutters. Every time my wife drops me off at work I hear the buzzing when she stops to let me out. I guess we need to investigate further...

I think its the hydraulic pump for the brakes... Mine has a large zrrrrrrrrrr sound if Its in EV (park) and I keep pressing the brakes.

Brakes brakes - zrrrrrrrr. Stops until I press them again a few times.

I think its the hydraulic pump for the brakes... Mine has a large zrrrrrrrrrr sound if Its in EV (park) and I keep pressing the brakes.

Brakes brakes - zrrrrrrrr. Stops until I press them again a few times.

I had some time today and I agree, it's the brake system making the sound.

Press the brake pedal while it's in the Run position and buzzzz, use the Emergency brake, buzzz.

It is necessary to have that much racket when the brakes are used??

These cars work in real different ways that your normal ICE vehicle so who knows.

I'll be at the Dealer in a week or so and I'll ask about that and the 'cracking' noise.

I had some time today and I agree, it's the brake system making the sound.

Press the brake pedal while it's in the Run position and buzzzz, use the Emergency brake, buzzz.

It is necessary to have that much racket when the brakes are used??

These cars work in real different ways that your normal ICE vehicle so who knows.

I'll be at the Dealer in a week or so and I'll ask about that and the 'cracking' noise.

I haven't heard this sound correlating to brakes. The car makes the buzzing sound I hear even before it's turned on or after it is turned off. I guess I'll have to get my wife to help and do like you suggested to see if the noise is happening at the same time as the shutters move.

What did you see, GrySql, that you don't think it's the shutters?

The parking brake does make an interesting noise, especially if you are standing alongside the car near a rear wheel, then it's really loud.

Turn on the car all the way into ready mode.

Keep the car in park.

Disengage the electronic parking brake.

Open the front windows.

Press the brake pedal once, twice or thrice. You should hear a buzzing sound.

My guess is because there is no traditional hydraulic pump turning from the drive belt its electric and its only engaged when needed.

I do wish it was quieter though!

You know, now that I think of it, since the ICE doesnt always run, the brake boost would not be from Vacuum as in a conventional car, so there must be a precharge system that provides the boost, and it could be that is what you are hearing. Good for three presses of the pedal then needs to recharge. I never heard any noise when I started the one I had, it was always dead quiet, but then the ICE kicked on, and rarely did it go more than a couple minutes without ICE when first started, always been too frakin cold.

I haven't heard this sound correlating to brakes. The car makes the buzzing sound I hear even before it's turned on or after it is turned off. I guess I'll have to get my wife to help and do like you suggested to see if the noise is happening at the same time as the shutters move.

What did you see, GrySql, that you don't think it's the shutters?

The parking brake does make an interesting noise, especially if you are standing alongside the car near a rear wheel, then it's really loud.

The only buzzing I hear from the front of the car that is consistent is when applying the foot brake, in the ready or started mode.

The other buzzing that I thought was the shutters happened while I watched the shutters open, then close - but not every time.

Perhaps the brake booster was buzzing simultaneously.

Tonight there were no sounds when it was started, until I pushed the brake pedal, although the shutters had opened and closed.

Just now, with the car running in EV in the garage, I had my wife push the brake pedal and release it, every time there was a buzzing.

I tried to isolate it's location in the engine bay and it seems to be on the on the back side of the ICE, near the Traction motor, down low.

One would have to remove the large upper plastic engine cover to see back there and I wasn't in the mood.

I could feel the buzz vibration on different parts of the ICE.

The emergency brake has another type of electrical buzzing coming from the rear, which makes sense.

It sure stops well, no complains there.

Edited by GrySql

The talk of buzzing sure says a lot about how well insulated our interiors are from sound. Unless a window is down, I rarely hear (not counting the cracking) anything except for an occasional soft noise.

I was able to confirm last night with my wife's help that the buzzing has nothing to do with the shutters. It sounds like it comes from in front of the ICE in our car. I couldn't find anywhere that I could feel vibration when the buzzing was happening though

Don't most cars have a quick test of the ABS pump/mechanics when you start the car or

just start rolling? My last few cars have had this and I mostly don't notice it unless I listen

carefully.

The ABS pump for the brakes does a quick self-test shortly after the car starts. It's a quick

pulsing of the ABS mechanism as would be the behavior if the ABS really did kick in

while braking.

Edited by smr2112

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have noticed on several occasions that my car is making an electric buzzing after I shut the car off. I'll go down to my car 15 minutes later and it's still making the noise. I restart the car to stop it.

This happens about once a month. Just wanted to put that out there in case it was more widespread.

I don't know what the noise is or why it's on, or even if its normal - which I doubt.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have noticed on several occasions that my car is making an electric buzzing after I shut the car off. I'll go down to my car 15 minutes later and it's still making the noise. I restart the car to stop it.

This happens about once a month. Just wanted to put that out there in case it was more widespread.

I don't know what the noise is or why it's on, or even if its normal - which I doubt.

Yeah mine does that too every now and then, along with a fan in the trunk area for the HVB sometimes stays on or comes on after I shut down... I don't worry about them, plenty of monitoring systems doing their thing and if the car needs to buzz or whirr on its own, so be it.

John Denver has that song on one of his Christmas albums. If you're making that comparison to these sounds, it's appropriate to recall that each chorus ended "I never knew just what it was, and I guess I never will."

Yep, Chad Mitchell I believe was the first to record it. It went ZIP when it moved, BOP when it stopped, Whir when it stood still, I never knew just what it was, and I guess I never will. Pretty much sums up the car too!

Hello, i just purchased my 2013 ford fusion hybrid SE. I have every available option (it was supposed to be a titanium but my dealership charged me the same and gave me an se...) I am actually hearing an electrical buzzing sound while driving, without braking. i've heard it accelerating, going down a hill with cruise on, braking.. it's loud and my wife was very freaked out that our kids were going to get electrocuted. I havent even purchased my first tank of gas yet.

Hello, i just purchased my 2013 ford fusion hybrid SE. I have every available option (it was supposed to be a titanium but my dealership charged me the same and gave me an se...) I am actually hearing an electrical buzzing sound while driving, without braking. i've heard it accelerating, going down a hill with cruise on, braking.. it's loud and my wife was very freaked out that our kids were going to get electrocuted. I havent even purchased my first tank of gas yet.

Now that's got to be an interesting story.

I have never heard a sound other than the rumble of the ICE kicking in during a cold start, and mine is in a garage too.

Same here, except for putting on or taking off the parking brake