acdii

From 75% to 40% in 4 10ths

It was a nice day out so I cleaned up the car, and gave it a coat of Zaino, It's 55* so decided to take it to get gas. Before I left though, I thought I would take a picture to ask a question if others see the same thing, and then drove off, pulled out on EV, then goosed the ICE on and got up to 55 MPH and looked down and was shocked.

Does this look right to you?

488323_524967810878691_634681271_n.jpg

408107_524967910878681_1120935943_n.jpg

For being mostly ICE up to 55 and not flooring it, this seems like an awful large drop in SOC, even if they are cold, if you consider 50* cold.

Yep, it looks like a huge drop in SOC in 0.4 mi. Could the first pics. hi SOC be an artifact of some timing effect. i.e. could the high SOC be left over from before the car clean up and degraded but not reported until after the beginning of motion?

No that was taken after I had backed out of the garage and was about to pull out to go to the gas station. I had backed out, and wanted to check the temp, mu phone wasnt responding to weather.com so I put it in park to check the temp on the MFT. I then looked at the dash and saw the down arrow, and thought, hmm let me take a pic and ask. So it was at least 3/4 full when I backed out, and the car wasn't on very long either, in fact the ICE didnt kick in until I had pulled out and got on the road, that was when I accelerated to 50 or so, looked down and said WTF?, stopped the car and took the second pic. It went from 3/4 to 1/4 in less then 1 minute. Starting to think there is some credence to my thought the battery is the issue with this car, but no way to prove it.

There is an EV certified dealer by my work, going to see if I can setup an appointment to have the battery checked, this doesnt seem right to me. Something else I noticed, at times it looks like the battery charges really fast when going 55-60 and other times takes forever.

Yeah, but just remember all of those circuits in there with little FMC code bits telling them what to do all the time.

I've always though the most logical explanation for the differences between the good performers and the underperformers has to be something with the hybrid battery. The fact that the batteries are somewhat new and untested technology makes you wonder if there could be issues with some. I hope that's not the case, and I sure hope I get a ood one.

No that was taken after I had backed out of the garage and was about to pull out to go to the gas station. I had backed out, and wanted to check the temp, mu phone wasnt responding to weather.com so I put it in park to check the temp on the MFT. I then looked at the dash and saw the down arrow, and thought, hmm let me take a pic and ask. So it was at least 3/4 full when I backed out, and the car wasn't on very long either, in fact the ICE didnt kick in until I had pulled out and got on the road, that was when I accelerated to 50 or so, looked down and said WTF?, stopped the car and took the second pic. It went from 3/4 to 1/4 in less then 1 minute. Starting to think there is some credence to my thought the battery is the issue with this car, but no way to prove it.

There is an EV certified dealer by my work, going to see if I can setup an appointment to have the battery checked, this doesnt seem right to me. Something else I noticed, at times it looks like the battery charges really fast when going 55-60 and other times takes forever.

When the ICE first kicks on it doesn't immediately provide power to the vehicle. When it first comes on it is running but you're still using the electric motor and battery power to drive. Once the catalytic converter warms up then the ICE begins powering the car and the battery SOC will be increasing until the ICE warms up enough to shut off. This happens all the time on our car. When we leave home the ICE doesn't usually kick on until we turn on to a 40 MPH road near our house. The first 1/4 to 1/2 mile down that street the ICE is running but we're using up the battery to power the car. By the time the ICE kicks in to power the car the battery SOC is usually almost zero. Even if we start with a low SOC the car will do this. It is normal behavior while the emissions components are warmed up. Our car has been doing this since day one. In the colder weather it obviously takes longer to get past this procedure than in warmer weather.

Its 55 right out of our driveway, and the ICE kicked on as soon as I put my foot down and pulled the car. I use the split screen, dont remember what its called, that shows both ICE and EV, and it wasnt using EV. Even so, in under 4 10ths of a mile, it never went down that much, heck I rarely go down that low anymore at all. In fact it wasnt even 4 10ths, it was less than 3 10ths when I saw it, and I had to stop which put a little back in.

Does every one elses dash show a discharge when in park with nothing running?

Nothing running? But the car is still in" ready to drive" or just ACC?

I can see it on my the hybrid screen that comes with MFT 3.5.1 that battery power is going to "other" ( radio, fan, etc.)

Oh btw I can drive away on EV as long the temps are nice like right now but if you step on it will go straight to the ICE.

Nothing running? But the car is still in" ready to drive" or just ACC?

I can see it on my the hybrid screen that comes with MFT 3.5.1 that battery power is going to "other" ( radio, fan, etc.)

Oh btw I can drive away on EV as long the temps are nice like right now but if you step on it will go straight to the ICE.

Anytime the car is ON or in Accesories mode the HVB shows that it is discharging.

The creep away in EV mode until there is a higher power demand is a very nice feature of these cars. This helps improve MPGs on short trips. Other hybrids fire up the ICE immediately and waste gas on short trips

I think the gauge only shows you a portion of the SOC range, probably from about 30 to 80%. A cold car uses a lot of EV even when the ICE is running. Don't worry about the HVB.

It never dropped like that even on the coldest days. At least I know its normal for the pack to drain with nothing turned on.

Here's the screen I was referring to earlier that shows both ICE and EV usage.

482201_525503054158500_28481792_n.jpg

When the ICE first kicks on it doesn't immediately provide power to the vehicle. When it first comes on it is running but you're still using the electric motor and battery power to drive. Once the catalytic converter warms up then the ICE begins powering the car and the battery SOC will be increasing until the ICE warms up enough to shut off. This happens all the time on our car. When we leave home the ICE doesn't usually kick on until we turn on to a 40 MPH road near our house. The first 1/4 to 1/2 mile down that street the ICE is running but we're using up the battery to power the car. By the time the ICE kicks in to power the car the battery SOC is usually almost zero. Even if we start with a low SOC the car will do this. It is normal behavior while the emissions components are warmed up. Our car has been doing this since day one. In the colder weather it obviously takes longer to get past this procedure than in warmer weather.

With it being 57 degrees this morning, instead of 33 mpg for my 8 mile commute, I got 39.2. This was also the first morning that my ICE was not running when I came to a stop at my first stop sign and was able to be in EV mode some of the time on the road to the freeway.

WHOA, I just noticed something in that picture I took today. Look at the SOC!!!!!! Um I know it was at least 3/4 full when I got home yesterday!

OK, I've owned a hybrid for seven years but don't know what SOC or HVB acronyms stand for.

I assume SOC has to do with battery charge, but what does it stand for?

And HVB must be a high volume breeder. Maybe it's time to start an acronym sticky.

SOC > State Of Charge

HVB > High Voltage Battery

There are a few more that you will run across once and a while.

WHOA, I just noticed something in that picture I took today. Look at the SOC!!!!!! Um I know it was at least 3/4 full when I got home yesterday!

You've got the bizzaro-car I guess... I have had times where the SOC has changed in the garage overnight, however I have seen it the other way around a couple times, where I will make it up the hill in EV+ to my house and get into the garage and shut down with SOC around 30%, next morning it's around 60%... gremlins I guess, but at least mine are the friendly type.

SOC > State Of Charge

HVB > High Voltage Battery

There are a few more that you will run across once and a while.

Thanks

I watched it this morning when I left for work. ICE was running, but yep, used 100% EV to accelerate to 55. Pretty dumb if you ask me, wonder if EV+ had anything to do with it. Thats one of the problems when you live in the country on a rural highway, cant just ev up to 35 and glide, nope 55 or get run over! I pretty much had to floor it to get the ICE to propel the car.

It's nothing to do with EV+. It has to do with warming up the emissions components. The car is designed to not immediately accelerate with the ICE when it first turns on until the catalytic converter is warmed up to function effectively. For that first little bit the ICE will come on at a low RPM to burn minimal fuel and warm the catalytic converter. Once the emissions system is warm enough then the ICE will rev and be used to propel the vehicle until it reaches its temperature to shut off and go into normal hybrid mode.

Your 2010 doesn't do this? The Prius does something very similar

I watched it this morning when I left for work. ICE was running, but yep, used 100% EV to accelerate to 55. Pretty dumb if you ask me, wonder if EV+ had anything to do with it. Thats one of the problems when you live in the country on a rural highway, cant just ev up to 35 and glide, nope 55 or get run over! I pretty much had to floor it to get the ICE to propel the car.

Nope, 2010 is ICE ICE Baby right from the start. It's running, why not use it to propel, after all, crap warms up faster when its used! :) That sounds disgusting. What I did notice, and why it never showed before is, when its above freezing, and HVAC is turned off, this happens, if HVAC is on and its in the low 20's ICE propels the car, not EV.

I am seriously wondering if we do have a bad battery or like you said a maybe a few cells not working properly. Mine seems to be a carbon copy of your car acdii. I'm still not getting better mileage even though it's been warm lately. We had 4 days in the 70's and still 35 mpg (lifetime 33.1). Now one thing for me is it's not exactly flat or down hill very much or very long. You have 5000 more miles than mine. But some people get 45 mpg from day one. Not me. I have to be super conscious about my right foot and watch the dash all the friggin time. It really is not fun to try and hyper mile or what ever you want to call it to get the 47 we are supposed to get. Frustrated.

How does it do using Ecocruise? Even with EC on mine, and I used it throughout my trip today, I get varying results. This morning I got 41.1, and I just heard they are getting the paperwork printed on the Flex, so this will be my last trip in the Fusion. I will post my results later tonight on what the final trip comes out to.

On Sunday I drove to the BP station I always fill up at, its in WI and 11.5 miles away, and I usually save at least 20 cents a gallon. From there I drove east on EC, then south on 14 to Harvard, and then stopped across the road from my dealer. Turned off the car, and the trip result was 51.1. Strange, I mean REALLY strange since the instant never went above 40, but there was some EV, in fact I took a pic. I then started it back up, reset the dash, not the trip, just the top display, and drove south down 23, to Kishwaukee and then home. all the time using EC. When I got home it was 37.7. So inconsistent that I just cant trust what it shows. Hence why I must get rid of it, before my mind goes POP and I take out a few power poles with it.

306043_526685614040244_1710307216_n.jpg

Second trip. You can see by the Odometer what I am talking about.

559024_524967760878696_1411115184_n.jpg

How does it do using Ecocruise? Even with EC on mine, and I used it throughout my trip today, I get varying results. This morning I got 41.1, and I just heard they are getting the paperwork printed on the Flex, so this will be my last trip in the Fusion. I will post my results later tonight on what the final trip comes out to.

On Sunday I drove to the BP station I always fill up at, its in WI and 11.5 miles away, and I usually save at least 20 cents a gallon. From there I drove east on EC, then south on 14 to Harvard, and then stopped across the road from my dealer. Turned off the car, and the trip result was 51.1. Strange, I mean REALLY strange since the instant never went above 40, but there was some EV, in fact I took a pic. I then started it back up, reset the dash, not the trip, just the top display, and drove south down 23, to Kishwaukee and then home. all the time using EC. When I got home it was 37.7. So inconsistent that I just cant trust what it shows. Hence why I must get rid of it, before my mind goes POP and I take out a few power poles with it.

306043_526685614040244_1710307216_n.jpg

Second trip. You can see by the Odometer what I am talking about.

559024_524967760878696_1411115184_n.jpg

I think the car knows you are leaving it and is toying with you, showing you what mileage the next owner will get. I'm pretty sure the car just disikes you. A parting of ways seems like it's in the best interest for you both. :runaway:

Your probably right, Final trip over 40 miles was 42.2, Lifetime was 36.2 on the dash, but 35 in reality. Final 3 pics before I handed over the keys.

485318_526790060696466_1345315805_n.jpg5578_526790037363135_2015364739_n.jpg388684_526789994029806_621997595_n.jpg