darrel.e.wise

EPA test is totally unrealistic

Agreed. A sustained 65 MPH test that simulates Interstate travel is what most people assume is the Highway rating, when it is not. CR tests this way, and just about all car reviews do the same, so if one portion of the test is Interstate with gentle rolling hills that most of them have over a period of time would be most beneficial.

hmmm maybe I should get a Droid

Nah, that would increase my phone bill $50 and I would lose unlimited data with Verizon.

I've been getting above 55 mpg consistently under 50 mph, but as soon as I hit hwy speeds it drops by 10 miles. wish Ford was more honest in the hwy numbers. it would have prevented lots of grief and lawsuits.

I've been getting above 55 mpg consistently under 50 mph, but as soon as I hit hwy speeds it drops by 10 miles. wish Ford was more honest in the hwy numbers. it would have prevented lots of grief and lawsuits.

They don't decide what numbers to put on the sticker, they carry out the EPA protocol and report the numbers. If they follow the EPA protocol and report the numbers and can back them up, they have done their job.

However if a manufacturer does not carry out the tests in the proper manner or does not put the accurate numbers according to the EPA protocol, then there is trouble like Hyundia and Kia had.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/02/autos/hyundai-kia-mpg-overstated/index.html

Good point Jeff_h, which tells me that EPA tests are outdated and still somewhat manipulated (E0 fuel, fully charged battery, programming to maximise fuel efficiency just for EPA specs.etc).

I've driven Civic for years, my fuel eff was always better that the window sticker and that is without feathered driving. I used to beat it up and still be better. My point about honesty was that ford could have disputed the much higher results when they knew it wasn't achievable in real life.

And we know that ford broke no rules in using Fusion Hybrid EPA numbers and transferring them to the C-MAX.

Am I mistaken in thinking that there is still a pronouncement to be made regarding the Fusion Hybrid's EPA numbers?

Yes I think you are mistaken, you appear to have answered your own question in your above statement. They did the actual testing with the Fusion and reported the numbers, then copied those numbers over to the CMax since they qualified as being in the same family under the EPA guidelines, as I understand and as noted in the Ford press release.

Since they did the actual testing with the Fusion, have the actual numbers that were reported to the EPA and able to be audited (and for which I believe the EPA did and found no fault in the process), what is there to pronounce?

Since both models were reportedly falling short of EPA numbers, and the EPA opened up an investigation of both cars, I would have expected an announcement on both cars. It seems we got the negative news on the C_MAX, but not the positive news that the Fusion hybrid was indeed properly tested by Ford, and that no revision would be done.

The one about the CMax is more attention-grabbing I guess, just like any bad press. Regular stuff is ho-hum.

When driven to EPA guidelines, the Fusion does get 47. As you can see there are a few members here, lucky bastards, whose daily drives allow them to use EPA type driving to exceed the ratings. I do know in mine, without the AC going I can hit 47 and above, even on the hilly roads at 55 MPH that I cant avoid, and when not on the hilly roads and under 55, getting over 50MPG.

AC use though hurts it badly, drove yesterday to CL same as I always do, but had the AC on, and barely got 40. Drops the tank average drastically. My wife took the car later to go to harvard, and without AC got over 50.

Have you ever tried to use the climate in Auto and AC button off with the temp set to 73* ?

I used this setting on our drive back home and we were never uncomfortable even when temps hit 90* outside.

The climate usage never went over 1 kW mostly staying at .5 or even slightly below.

I seldom use AC, only used it because my son complains too much when the windows are down. I also didnt feel like being sweaty, but I will give this a try since the next few days are in the 90+ range.

I picked up my New 2014 fusion Hybrid Titanium 10 days ago with full tank of gas.
One thing I wanted to bring to your attention regarding the mileage & the software update on the Fusion hybrid. I noticed that my gas tank is below half now and I've driven only 180 miles. Given the tank capacity of 13.5 gallons, if we take the average would come to around 25 mpg. The average reads around 34 mpg (80% of that miles are city driven) & all those miles were always below 45-50 miles/hr speed.
Isn't the Fusion hybrid suppose to stay in battery mode up till 62 mph (except for accelerating and inclines) . I learnt that the re-calibration / PCM update allows the car to travel up to 85 mph in EV mode.
Also learnt that few cars are performing below average & Ford recommends to make the dealership aware of this first before contacting them.
My dealer is suggesting to wait for 6000 miles before we see improvement. I don't think one has to wait that long to get near the claimed estimates. If this is the case than i would be better off with gasoline model & save few thousand dollars.
My dealer won't even consider an exchange as it is now a USED vehicle (with 180 miles on it)

Any suggestion /advise would be helpful.

Thanks

I've driven only 180 miles.

My dealer won't even consider an exchange as it is now a USED vehicle (with 180 miles on it)

You only have 180 miles on the car and are ready to turn it back in? Wow.

Your info says you are in the Chicago area, maybe you live near Corncobs (he's in the burbs there somewhere) and can get together - he would be able to provide far better info and tips than the vast majority of salesmen, based on the comments that other users have passed on about the apparent knowledge level of their respective salesmen.