Sign in to follow this  
ltzgtr2r

Jump Starting

I just got a 2013 Fusion Hybrid- manual says you can jump start in case of dead battery from terminals under the hood, probably blind but I cannot find such? thanks for help

Look closely at the covers, they are marked on the drivers side I think near the firewall.

It has always bothered me that if you have your 12v battery changed, you lose most of the settings in the electronics. Couldn't a dealer hook up another 12v battery to these posts that are under the hood before the defective battery is disconnected and replaced so that this loss wouldn't occur? It sure would save a lot of time and hassle.

Another question is if you want to hook a charger up to the 12v battery, can you use these terminals under the hood or do you have to connect directly to the battery?

Ltz, you need to orient the picture shown in the owner's manual to match what you see under the hood to find the terminals. One is just a bolt.

It has always bothered me that if you have your 12v battery changed, you lose most of the settings in the electronics. Couldn't a dealer hook up another 12v battery to these posts that are under the hood before the defective battery is disconnected and replaced so that this loss wouldn't occur? It sure would save a lot of time and hassle.

Yes. You just have to be careful with the positive cable at the battery and not let it touch anything because it will be hot and you will let the sparks out.

I have done exactly that with my 2010 FFH to not lose the engine data.

The red rubber cap covers the Positive terminal, the Negative (Ground) is a bolt mounted on the shock absorber tower frame.

The picture in the Owner's manual is in B/W and difficult to view properly.

The firewall is to the right in this picture.

Edit: I've used memory savers in my other cars when changing a battery, don't know if it will work on the FFH.

Other OBD types are available too.

FFHjumpstart_zps2c71db0a.jpg

Edited by GrySql

Another question is if you want to hook a charger up to the 12v battery, can you use these terminals under the hood or do you have to connect directly to the battery?

Ltz, you need to orient the picture shown in the owner's manual to match what you see under the hood to find the terminals. One is just a bolt.

I would use the terminals under the hood since there is no chance of a spark setting off hydrogen that might be around the battery.

Yes. You just have to be careful with the positive cable at the battery and not let it touch anything because it will be hot and you will let the sparks out.

I have done exactly that with my 2010 FFH to not lose the engine data.

My favorite current TV commercial is the Direct TV one that says "almost as bad as...." and shows the guy hooking up the jumper cables backwards and sets the car on fire.

The red rubber cap covers the Positive terminal, the Negative (Ground) is a bolt mounted on the shock absorber tower frame.

The picture in the Owner's manual is in B/W and difficult to view properly.

The firewall is to the right in this picture.

Edit: I've used memory savers in my other cars when changing a battery, don't know if it will work on the FFH.

Other OBD types are available too.

FFHjumpstart_zps2c71db0a.jpg

Another poster stated that the dealer suggested the trickle charger be hooked directly to the battery to prevent loss through the cables under the hood. That's what I did on mine and it seems to work fine.

My favorite current TV commercial is the Direct TV one that says "almost as bad as...." and shows the guy hooking up the jumper cables backwards and sets the car on fire.

Somedays oh I wish...... :)

That is mine too, only because of the expression on the face on the air pupet that attacks the woman.

Sometimes I see that and think, Hmm if only, that would solve one problem. Nah, move along now, nothing POOF to see here.