ace8726872

What is the ideal tire pressure?

This topic will open debate similar to the frequency of oil changes.

I made a post around here somewhere that I checked my air pressures a couple weeks after getting the car, they were something like 35/38/32/40 which seemed a bit strange so I don't know if checking air pressure is part of PDI and if it is whether it was completed. So if you haven't adjusted the pressure on your own yet, check the levels in yours first and see if there are differences.

Anyway - I think the door sticker says 35 recommended, and I think the tires say 44 maximum, I set and keep mine at 40 all around and feel no difference in the ride from the varying pressures noted above that were in the tires when I got the car. At that pressure I still tend to get wear earlier on the outside edges of the tires a little sooner than in the center, which is strange since I drive a long commute with very few turns and might indicate under-inflation, however I'm not going higher to try and even things out since I know they are not under-inflated.

Added - in my estimation based on running higher and lower PSI in both the Prius and also in the previous FFH, the difference may be about 2 MPG better with the tires pumped a bit higher, however that is only a ballpark estimate based on looking at tank fill-up MPG numbers. Of course there were other variables involved (weather, route, traffic, etc) beyond just changing the PSI to really give that figure with a high degree of confidence, it's merely my estimate from comparing MPG on tanks with lower and higher PSI. So do some sampling on your own if you like and write back with what you find, it would be interesting to see if your observations are similar.

Edited by jeff_h

18" Goodyears are at 44 right now. Helped some, but not much, they are 51 PSI tires. I run my 2010 at 40 PSI, the Camry and Pri were 40/42, but dont remember which was front.

Crap, just found out I will be going to Pasadena for training next week

Say hello to the Little Old Lady for us.

Here is a neat trick to find the correct pressure for you car, regardless of the tires.

Set the air pressure at the recommended levels, then on each tire, do this one at a time, take a piece of chalk and draw a fat line across the tread, now this will only work on pavement, so if you have a gravel driveway, do this in a parking lot instead. Then roll the car at least twice over the chalk line, but not so much as to totally scrub the chalk off. Look at the line, when the tire is properly inflated the line will be worn evenly across. Too much in the middle and over inflated, too much on the ends, under. It will also show if you have an alignment issue if one side is scuffed more than the other.

By doing this at each wheel you will find out what pressures to use in each tire. It is best to do this with a load as when the car is normally driven, if just you, then just you, but if it is you and your partner, then both should be in the car.

Now to get the most for MPG while still maintaining a safety factor for traction, overinflate to the point where you dont completely wear off the center but show a noticeable wear factor.

Also rotate often as the differences in tire pressures can cause uneven wear, and by rotating often, you maximize the life of the tires.

Use the chalk test I posted elsewhere to find out. Chances are you will not have uneven wear.