ace8726872

Art of War FFH Edition - Collective tips on how to get the most MPG out of your new FFH

It does what the big trucks do, turns it into a big air compressor, just like Jake Brakes, but without the BRRRRRRRR.

When the 2010 FFH first came out, they did a one tank how far can it go test and got 74 MPG. I haven't seen that happen yet with the 13.

OK, I knew there were 4's involved! LOL 1445 miles on a tank.

Please help me improve my MPG. I have a 2013 FFH with 16,200 miles and 43 fill ups. My MPG has ranged from 28.3 to 47.6 with my average at 39.3. I was practicing 'hybrid mode' with my 2004 KIA as much as I could while waiting last winter for my new FFH to come in. With over 200 K miles on the KIA I was averaging 25.5 MPG. In 'hybrid mode' I got three tankfuls in a row of 29-30 MPG. I achieved this mainly by watching my acceleration, cruising and braking. I thought that was pretty amazing. EPA sticker was 23/26 for that make and model KIA.

Now along came my FFH. I followed the same driving habits that I had been practicing for weeks just watching as to not annoy other drivers. My scores are close to 100 for acceleration and braking and about 95 for cruising. I do try to start out in EV mode because I thought the motor was efficient at most any condition and that the ICE was more efficient over 40 MPH being an Atkinson engine. I understand that is the main reason they do not use the Atkinson engine in non hybrids - because at the low MPH it performs unacceptably. Now I am reading in some posts that perhaps I should not use the EV where I do but should start out in ICE mode more and run in ICE mode more on the freeway at say 60-65 (knowing slower freeway speeds are unsafe, annoying to other drivers and impractical). I live in Michigan so, yes, my MPG takes a hit in winter. I try to leave the HVAC off as much as possible and use the heated seat at the lowest setting and then off (it retains heat well). I do always drive with my headlights on but I understand the watts draw for them is not that high. For over 40 years I have always been able to obtain the EPA numbers for my vehicles. I love my FFH despite the lower than expected gas miage but I still feel i can learn more and improve it. Any thoughts that you have for me would be greatly appreciated. I have found this site to be very useful with courteous, thoughtful people and I am very thankful for that.

Yes, to both questions. Some tank fulls have more city than highway miles and short 2-4 mile trips. I did get the PCM update.

I have to clarify the above answer. Lately, my trips have been short city trips in cold Michigan weather. Overall, I would say I am 60% highway (two lane state roads at 55 MPH and freeway going 65 MPH). If anything, I think I get better city mileage once my FFH is warmed up. That, of course, was never true of my ICE only engines in the past. Maybe I don't use my ICE/EV modes the right way on the highway. Cruise (with ECO) does not seem to really help over my manually controlling the throttle.

These cars are finicky, they like to be driven more than 10 miles in a stretch before they start getting better MPG. My trips are @55 right from the end of my driveway, so the ICE warms up fast, but since they are @55 MPH, I also use more gas since it will use less EV. This held true for all the hybrids(4) that I have had. The only exception to highway was the 2010 FFH, it liked highway cruises at 68 MPH, and got far better MPG than the new FFH does at that speed.

On short trips under 5 miles, I will see maybe 30, and on the return trip 30 minutes later will see double that as the ICE is already warmed up.

Sounds like you're a pretty experienced hypermiler. I'll be curious to see what you can do with a FFH in the long run. You may want to track your MPG through fuelly if you don't already.

I think you'll appreciate the comfort of the car on those long commutes, too. I know I do, and I only drive ~15,000 miles a year.

I have observed recently, and it is showing in my latest tank fills, that maintaining ICE and not using EV at highway speeds is more efficient. The trick to that is to maintain the charge on the battery to its max, which is about 80% on the dash. I have hills I drive over during my daily drive and going up with a full HVB the instant is right about 40 MPG, when cruising on flat ground, its about 50 or better, then when cresting, I coast, using as little from the pack as possible. When under 45 MPH, then using EV as much as possible is the key. 45 is the cut off point for EV for me. Following this trick I got 50 MPG on my way in. Prior to this, 44 was about it when doing the P&G EV techniques. I found that the Highway averages is about 44 or better, prior to that using EV Mixed in was about 38-40. So I gained about 4 MPG by staying on ICE with a full(as much as the car allows it to be) battery when driving at highway speeds.

No it's kinda designed to use EV whenever the parameters allow. If you can keep the EV mode from kicking in after the computer stops charging the HVB the ICE only propels the car and is very efficient. That's the reason acdii can now keep his instant MPG high (and the trip MPG). He keeps the EV from kicking in while the HVB is "fully" charged.

How does acdii do this? By continuing to accelerate, until going faster than 70mph?