ace8726872

Art of War FFH Edition - Collective tips on how to get the most MPG out of your new FFH

It has been just over two months since I bought my 2013 FFH and I am a first time hybrid owner. I absolutely love my 2013 FFH! First and foremost, I love the car regardless of the MPG that I am getting. It's just a great car. It is not to say that I am getting bad MPG either. On my commute, I am averaging 50 ~ 54 MPG in the morning commutes and 40 ~ 45 MPG in the evenings, the difference being that there are more downhills on the morning commute.

Anyway, I wanted to compile a list of driving techniques that are specific to FFH in a single place so that we can all benefit from the group's collective knowledge and experiences. I think it will help the new owners who may be experiencing bad MPG issues so that they know it's the driving techniques not the car.

I admit that I am probably the least knowledgeable on the subject of how to drive FFH correctly. However, I started to put together some things I have noticed and I am just going to put it out there, hoping that other, more experienced members will contribute once I get the ball rolling.

Please excuse my ignorance and lack of experiences. I would love to learn what others are doing!!! So here it goes...

1. Try not to exceed the speed limit.

2. ECO cruise control is your friend. Use it often.

3. Brake early, gently and smoothly. Listen to the brake coach.

4. Try not to use EV going downhill, instead, use downhill to recharge.

5. From standing start, use ICE to accelerate smoothly to the speed limit and engage EV by lifting off the throttle or setting the cruise control.

6. Try not to accelerate using EV from dead stop, unless it is downhill or nobody is behind you.

7. Try using EV on the freeway, If nobody is behind you.

8. On level roads, you can go about a mile in EV with full charge.

9. On gentle downhill roads, you can use EV for close to 2 miles with full charge.

10. On the freeway, become the right lane cruiser.

11. FFH will let you use EV above 62MPH. You just can't engage EV above 62MPH.

12. On very steep downhill, use Hill Decent Control. It slows down FFH without using brakes and charges battery faster. Remember to disengage!

13. On long downhills on he freeway, stay at or above 65MPH so the EV does not engage. Throttle ever so slightly so that the car maintains or accelerates, ICE meter shows no activity, instant MPG meter is at the highest, and the battery meter shows charging.

Might want to put this in the Hybrid tips and trick thread. It will get more views there once comments stop.

although on a trip from nyc to chicago i was able to engage EV at 64 mph

I appreciate the idea of putting all the 2013 FFH MPG tips into 1 thread, so, Thank you. (and I will find it if you move it to Hybrid Tips and Tricks section).

This is my first hybrid so I am trying to follow the best advice I can to stretch out my fuel dollars. And I sometimes I find that different drivers (and different car situations "late Oct/early Nov 12") may have different answers to their particular situation. So, I have questions about your list, as it relates to my personal experience (last 3 months).

First, I would agree on items #s 1, 3, 5-11.

#2 - I didn't realize that my "Eco-Cruise" had to be activated first before using. Thus, I only have 1 month of experience so far. But, it seems to me that I have a better ability to keep my FFH in EV than cruise control does. When I am in Eco-Cruise, often it does not even go into EV for large stretches and I watch both my efficiency leaves falling off and my Lifetime MPG doing down tenth by tenth. It might relate to some of the other tips, as I may be trying to keep EV on as much as possible when maybe I shouldn't, but I may be doing something wrong when it comes to cruise control.

#4 - Here in the city, we don't have many "hills" per se, but there are long stretches of elevated highways that go up and down repetitively as they fly over each cross street. I have been "cruising" downhill and then applying just a little gas on the uphill to keep up speed. This technique has been increasing my MPG, but if I am reading this tip correctly, I might be seeing a greater gain if I do the opposite?? Help me understand.

#12 - Don't have any steep downhills here to confirm this tip. One question, though, is this an automatic feature or is there a function or command to activate?

#13 - I have seen this tip elsewhere so I am familiar with it. But, I still haven't grasped the concept that driving at 65 MPH using the ICE uses less gas than driving in EV at 62 MPH. Why don't I want to stay in EV mode? When I can stay in EV mode on the freeway, I consistently get 51-54 MPG for the trip. Or, does this tip simply mean that when going on long downhills (which again, we really don't have here), it is better to save the charge on the battery and utilize the fact that you are not using gas either when you are in ICE mode?

although on a trip from nyc to chicago i was able to engage EV at 64 mph

I'm able to do that also, but my speedometer is off by 2 mph - confirmed by police laser.

I'm able to do that also, but my speedometer is off by 2 mph - confirmed by police laser.

makes sense guess im on the same boat then

#4 - Here in the city, we don't have many "hills" per se, but there are long stretches of elevated highways that go up and down repetitively as they fly over each cross street. I have been "cruising" downhill and then applying just a little gas on the uphill to keep up speed. This technique has been increasing my MPG, but if I am reading this tip correctly, I might be seeing a greater gain if I do the opposite?? Help me understand.

#13 - I have seen this tip elsewhere so I am familiar with it. But, I still haven't grasped the concept that driving at 65 MPH using the ICE uses less gas than driving in EV at 62 MPH. Why don't I want to stay in EV mode? When I can stay in EV mode on the freeway, I consistently get 51-54 MPG for the trip. Or, does this tip simply mean that when going on long downhills (which again, we really don't have here), it is better to save the charge on the battery and utilize the fact that you are not using gas either when you are in ICE mode?

When going downhill, and knowing you have another hill to climb, build up some speed where it doesn't cost anything, and bleed it off going up the next hill. So instead of braking/regen on a downhill, provided you have a healthy charge already, if you can speed up 5+ over then going up the next hill you bleed off that 5 while using very little ICE energy. A lot depends on how steep the grade, and how long the travel, but using kinetic energy to slingshot you up the next hill can help increase fuel efficiency.

On 13, the tip here is to not use EV where you dont need it. At certain points in the charge the regen can induce drag, but at certain throttle positions that drag is eliminated. Above 65 keeping a full charge means that the ICE is propelling the car and not using energy to recharge the pack, hence greater fuel efficiency. So by not using EV on the Interstate in some situations you actually can get better MPG than if you use EV. In previous generation Hybrids that use very little EV at all above 45 MPH, highway driving was a cinch, you set it and forget it and got what you got, but in this version, since it uses EV above 45 MPH, there are new tricks we all need to learn to get the most out of it and varying roads can be a challenge, but at some point we will all learn those tricks. After some experimenting, it will make sense. It is hard to explain exactly what we mean about this, but once you discover it and see it in action, you will go , well DuH.

The 2013 FFH is a whole new Hybrid ballgame now!

Thanks, acdii. I think the difference in my driving experience may have to do with the definition of "downhill". My "downhill" overpasses may be a slight ramp to others. Driving at 62 MPH, when I take my foot off everything at the top of the overpass, I can cruise down in EV mode and then up almost all the way to the top of the next overpass. Then, I apply a little gas to the top and repeat the process. If I were applying gas the whole way downhill, I would likely be exceeding the 65 MPH speed limit (and heaven forbid that I get caught speeding in a hybrid!) and I think I might effectively lose the gain of the battery charge and utilize more gas than necessary.

But I will experiment as you suggest, as I do respect your experience. I really do want to take advantage of the FFH's full potential.

It all depends on the grade and distances. Its one of those things that takes a lot of experimenting to get it just right. When I drove a Prius from IL to PA and back, the return trip I got up to 75 MPG for a several hundred mile stretch, and the entire trip returned a whopping 65 MPG. I didnt hold a steady speed and thats the key to it, lose speed going uphill, gain speed going downhill, repeat.

i will have to try that trick because on my drive back from chicago to nyc i maintain cruise on 70 mph and got 39 mpg maybe on my trip to fl in may i will try that but then again i should do better than 39 mpg by then

39 @ 70 was better than what I got. With practice you can beat it without using the cruise. Thats actually pretty good using cruise control at that speed.

#2 - I didn't realize that my "Eco-Cruise" had to be activated first before using. Thus, I only have 1 month of experience so far. But, it seems to me that I have a better ability to keep my FFH in EV than cruise control does. When I am in Eco-Cruise, often it does not even go into EV for large stretches and I watch both my efficiency leaves falling off and my Lifetime MPG doing down tenth by tenth. It might relate to some of the other tips, as I may be trying to keep EV on as much as possible when maybe I shouldn't, but I may be doing something wrong when it comes to cruise control.

Yes, I agree that you can keep the car in EV better if you control the throttle manually. However, you can do the same by engaging the cruise control and controlling the speed with the SET + and - buttons, simulating the manual throttle control which is what I do. Again, like you, I only had my Fusion for two months so I am sticking to using cruise control for now.

I think for very short stretches, what you are doing probably will work better. For me, I have long uphills and downhills, exceeding a mile or two. So for this type of terrain, I get better results if I stay on ICE, feathering the throttle while going downhill and charging my battery, cruise when I get to the bottom on the flat terrain, then throttle up the hill using ICE again.

#12 - Don't have any steep downhills here to confirm this tip. One question, though, is this an automatic feature or is there a function or command to activate?

There is a button on the gearshift knob off to the left. When you press it, you will see an indicator on your dash. It's a yellow depiction of a car going downhill. Press it again to disengage.

acdii explained it a lot better than I can. If you can get 60+ MPG using ICE, like when going downhill, I got better results if I don't "waste" my battery going downhill. What ends up happening is that when I get to the bottom of the hill, my ICE has to work harder, which results in poorer MPG, because ICE has to propel the car as well as charge the battery. If don't use the battery going downhill, I can cruise a bit on EV and when the ICE comes on, I get better MPG because ICE does not have to propel the car AND charge the battery. Just remember that you can only go a mile or two in EV mode so it is important that you drive the car to get better MPG on ICE.

Sorry, if I am not making sense.

Thanks.

Edited by ace8726872

No, it makes sense. I think I understand the concept now. Thank you. I applied it today and I found that I was going further in EV mode on the uphill than I normally do. And, it seemed like I was in EV mode longer overall for the trip to work this morning and the trip home as well.

The problem, however, was the same outcome that I experience when using eco-cruise in that I experienced overall lower MPG with this method. 17.3 mile trip = 47 MPG Lately, I have been getting 51-54 MPG on the same trip. It may be what acdii was saying, "grade and distances". I definitely see how this technique would be useful under different circumstances. (I need to get out of the city and go on longer trips!)

And by the way, the "cruise control and controlling the speed with the SET + and - buttons" was a tip that I was going to suggest as well, since that was the only way I have found so far to see a gain in MPG that way. Usually, its 1 or 2 taps of the "-" and I am cruising in EV.

So, are there other tips to add to the list for the 2013 FFH?

It's not a MPG related tip but I think it is important for me.

I want to get the most MPG but not if it means that I have to drive like a jerk, being inconsiderate to other drivers I am sharing the roads with, annoying or even creating dangerous situations in the name of getting the most MPG.

The most important tip is to just relax and enjoy the ride. I am a bit less stressed on the road and a bit happier everywhere else.

Edited by ace8726872

This is an interesting chart but does it have the resulting MPG numbers for each test?

Add - ok, this is the EPA testing procedure. Didn't realize it until I replied and saw the URL. Thanks.

Edited by ace8726872

This is an interesting chart but does it have the resulting MPG numbers for each test?

Add - ok, this is the EPA testing procedure. Didn't realize it until I replied and saw the URL. Thanks.

There are also graphs that show the speed at each segment of the test and the deceleration and acceleration points and keep in mind the acceleration rate in the test.

edited to add: In further reading the fastest they accelerate 0-60 is 18.75 seconds.

Edited by ketel0ne

Continuing the tips...

14. In cold weather, do not use the heater when the engine is cold. This will cause the ICE to run continuously and prevent the car from going into EV until the engine reaches the operating temperature. Use the seat warmer instead.

15. Disable AC completely (so that there is no power usage showing in My View - Climate window) by turning on the AC button, then turn on Max AC, then turn off AC with the AC button. This lets the air blow through from the outside with no power usage. (Credit goes to another member in this forum Scott_Farmer)

Read more about this topic at

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/6189-energy-consumption-in-myview/?do=findComment&comment=46653

Edited by ace8726872

I came across several articles regarding Ford setting a world record for going 1,445 miles on a single tank of gas in the 2010 FFH. The article mentions Ford's tips on how to get the most MPG. It is somewhat generic but still a good list worth reading.

The article also mentioned that the FFH was driven by "drivers trained in mileage-maximizing techniques", it would be great if Ford publish this training techniques, or even provide one-day driving school, it would be awesome.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=30289

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28946

Edited by ace8726872

it would be great if Ford publish this training techniques, or even provide one-day forgiving school, it would be awesome.

This is what I asked the CSR form Ford. Teach me how to drive this car! She said, we dont have anyone who can do that. Makes me wonder then who did the actual testing.

This is what I asked the CSR form Ford. Teach me how to drive this car! She said, we dont have anyone who can do that. Makes me wonder then who did the actual testing.

And who trained these guys?

I dont know, but would be interested to see what they could do with my 10. Though the numbers dont show it, I do get pretty good MPG in it when I try. Since it is driven by two different people and filled up differently between us, it varies a lot. I stop at the first click, she tops it off, so my last tank which should have been closer to 38 was only 36. We have had it 2 winters and one summer so the summer miles are negated by this nasty cold winter we are having. Overall though, very impressed with what it can do.

It's not a MPG related tip but I think it is important for me.

I want to get the most MPG but not if it means that I have to drive like a jerk, being inconsiderate to other drivers I am sharing the roads with, annoying or even creating dangerous situations in the name of getting the most MPG.

The most important tip is to just relax and enjoy the ride. I am a bit less stressed on the road and a bit happier everywhere else.

+1

All of these tips are good, and most of them apply to getting good milage in any car. When you apply thses tips to your driving you start to notice how so many people just seem to pay no attention to what is going on around them and how poorly they are driving - jetting from one red light or stop sign to the next, tailgating, not anticipating upcoming traffic, etc....and then wonder why they get such poor gas mileage.

I would like to add one more: use the EV+ setting. After a couple weeks the car knows that I am getting near home (and near work) - about a half mile away, and squeezes a little extra out of the battery. It is truly a wonderfull bit of technology. I've found the best setting in My View is Power+Threshold, which gives you a good view of how close you are getting to the end of your battery power. In EV+ you will see the threshold goes up, which really makes a difference for me because I have a long hill up to my house and after EV+ started to operate I get more than twice as far up it before the engine kicks in.

This is truly a delightful car, and a treat to drive.

4. Try not to use EV going downhill, instead, use downhill to recharge.
5. From standing start, use ICE to accelerate smoothly to the speed limit and engage EV by lifting off the throttle or setting the cruise control.
6. Try not to accelerate using EV from dead stop, unless it is downhill or nobody is behind you.
13. On long downhills on he freeway, stay at or above 65MPH so the EV does not engage. Throttle ever so slightly so that the car maintains or accelerates, ICE meter shows no activity, instant MPG meter is at the highest, and the battery meter shows charging.

Excellent tips. When you're going downhill you don't necessarily need to keep the car out of EV by exceeding 62 MPH, but what you can look at is the battery display to see if the battery is charging or discharging. Then based on that information you can adjust your driving.

It does appear that accelerating is best done by the ICE, and then cruising long distances in EV. I've found that cruising at low speeds in the city (under 35 MPH) on flat roads you can go what feels like forever in EV mode if you aren't stopping and starting.

It also appears that above 62 MPH where the ICE must run, when on a downhill where the ICE isn't needed it doesn't burn any fuel. In a regular car you burn fuel when idling or when going down a hill even if you don't need to burn fuel. When our cars use engine braking they don't burn any gas, but just create a vacuum with the engine to slow the car down. I believe when going down a hill above 65 MPH the engine also doesn't burn any fuel, even though it keeps running