ace8726872

Art of War FFH Edition - Collective tips on how to get the most MPG out of your new FFH

Might want to put this in the Hybrid tips and trick thread. It will get more views there once comments stop.

#4 - Here in the city, we don't have many "hills" per se, but there are long stretches of elevated highways that go up and down repetitively as they fly over each cross street. I have been "cruising" downhill and then applying just a little gas on the uphill to keep up speed. This technique has been increasing my MPG, but if I am reading this tip correctly, I might be seeing a greater gain if I do the opposite?? Help me understand.

#13 - I have seen this tip elsewhere so I am familiar with it. But, I still haven't grasped the concept that driving at 65 MPH using the ICE uses less gas than driving in EV at 62 MPH. Why don't I want to stay in EV mode? When I can stay in EV mode on the freeway, I consistently get 51-54 MPG for the trip. Or, does this tip simply mean that when going on long downhills (which again, we really don't have here), it is better to save the charge on the battery and utilize the fact that you are not using gas either when you are in ICE mode?

When going downhill, and knowing you have another hill to climb, build up some speed where it doesn't cost anything, and bleed it off going up the next hill. So instead of braking/regen on a downhill, provided you have a healthy charge already, if you can speed up 5+ over then going up the next hill you bleed off that 5 while using very little ICE energy. A lot depends on how steep the grade, and how long the travel, but using kinetic energy to slingshot you up the next hill can help increase fuel efficiency.

On 13, the tip here is to not use EV where you dont need it. At certain points in the charge the regen can induce drag, but at certain throttle positions that drag is eliminated. Above 65 keeping a full charge means that the ICE is propelling the car and not using energy to recharge the pack, hence greater fuel efficiency. So by not using EV on the Interstate in some situations you actually can get better MPG than if you use EV. In previous generation Hybrids that use very little EV at all above 45 MPH, highway driving was a cinch, you set it and forget it and got what you got, but in this version, since it uses EV above 45 MPH, there are new tricks we all need to learn to get the most out of it and varying roads can be a challenge, but at some point we will all learn those tricks. After some experimenting, it will make sense. It is hard to explain exactly what we mean about this, but once you discover it and see it in action, you will go , well DuH.

The 2013 FFH is a whole new Hybrid ballgame now!

It all depends on the grade and distances. Its one of those things that takes a lot of experimenting to get it just right. When I drove a Prius from IL to PA and back, the return trip I got up to 75 MPG for a several hundred mile stretch, and the entire trip returned a whopping 65 MPG. I didnt hold a steady speed and thats the key to it, lose speed going uphill, gain speed going downhill, repeat.

39 @ 70 was better than what I got. With practice you can beat it without using the cruise. Thats actually pretty good using cruise control at that speed.

it would be great if Ford publish this training techniques, or even provide one-day forgiving school, it would be awesome.

This is what I asked the CSR form Ford. Teach me how to drive this car! She said, we dont have anyone who can do that. Makes me wonder then who did the actual testing.

I dont know, but would be interested to see what they could do with my 10. Though the numbers dont show it, I do get pretty good MPG in it when I try. Since it is driven by two different people and filled up differently between us, it varies a lot. I stop at the first click, she tops it off, so my last tank which should have been closer to 38 was only 36. We have had it 2 winters and one summer so the summer miles are negated by this nasty cold winter we are having. Overall though, very impressed with what it can do.