Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Nissan Altima

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   revelated

revelated

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

Isn't the 2013 Altima a redesign though? At least in a lot of aspects. I know the EPA rating went up for the '13s over its predecessors. 

It's still not a more efficient car.  Efficient cars don't sound like tractors.  Thus why the 98 Mustangs were so fuel inefficient.

Your point addresses the range, not the mileage.  As for reasons for not getting the gasoline Titanium, the major road that my wife and I need to access to get to the  interstate has a speed limit of 55mph, and it's at least 10 miles to the interstate. That's perfect for a hybrid. That being said, I'd say 70 percent of her driving will be on local roads or the road I mentioned.  Hybrid for the win.

Mileage = Range.  They're one in the same.  Miles per gallon is literally what range you can get on each gallon of gas multipled by the number of gallons your tank can hold.  Simple arithmetic - the larger the tank, the greater the mileage.  The greater the mileage, the wider/longer the range before you need to fill up.  You're arguing semantics here.

Bottom line: Altima rules MPG on long stretches because it has more gas to do so.  That does not make it more efficient. 

By that logic, a kid who brings 4 different types of calculators and an iPad to math class is more mathematically inclined because they can punch up the answer faster than other kids who use pen and paper, or who only have a basic calculator.  Negative.

As for your trip you're confusing me now.  Previously you said "...people are getting about 36-37mpg at a highway speed of 75, which, is actually less than the Altima."  Now, you're saying that just because it takes a bit to get to the highway (I'm assuming the highway has a decent speed speed limit) and just because of the local road driving, that the hybrid would be more logical.  So either you don't spend a lot of time on the highway/freeway, or something isn't adding up.  If you don't spend a lot of time on the freeway then what's it matter that the Altima does better "...at a highway speed of 75"?

If I spend 80% of my time going less than 60, a hybrid makes sense and an Altima is moot; shouldn't even be in the discussion and the mileage of the Fusion Hybrid should be forefront.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Aquineas

Aquineas

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 233 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

If you don't understand the difference between mileage and range, then there's no point attempting to continue in a rational discussion. Carry on without me.

Bordeaux Reserve Ford Fusion Titanium ordered 5/6/2013, Window Sticker 6/22/2013, Built 6/28/2013, Delivered 7/12/2013.

I'd rather you tell me something I already know 1,000 times, than not tell me something I don't know once.

#23 OFFLINE   rico567

rico567

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 93 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:04 SAAB 9-5 wagon

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yes- by that logic a CadillacEscalade with a 35 gallon gas tank getting 15 mpg gets the same "mileage" as a hybrid that has a 13 gallon tank and gets 40 mpg.....when it's obvious that I'm spending only about a third the money on gas to operate the hybrid. This is the difference in "miles per gallon."

I've been driving for 50 years, and "mileage" and "miles per gallon" have always been synonymous to me, and in my reading and discussions with other car owners. "Miles per tank" would be an appropriate term for how far you can go on a fillup.

#24 OFFLINE   aaronj1159

aaronj1159

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 407 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

It's still not a more efficient car.  Efficient cars don't sound like tractors.  Thus why the 98 Mustangs were so fuel inefficient.

They're very different scenarios. The Altima has a CVT which tend to sound like that. 

#25 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

You really need to look at it as not miles per gallon, but gallons used per trip.   Example, say you drive 45 miles, your vehicle gets 15 MPG, you used 3 gallons @$4, so $12 for the trip. Now drive a car that gets 45 MPG, you drove the same 45 miles, used 1 gallon, cost $4.  Go enjoy an $8 lunch. 

• corncobs likes this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#26 OFFLINE   46stang

46stang

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 37 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 fusion

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hey, I have a 98 GT mustang and it gets 21-22 mpg. That's mostly highway but I wouldn't call it fuel inefficient. :shift:

I rented a 12 Altima for a week and was impressed with the car and the mileage. BUt after my wife and I drove the FFH it wasn't close.

Technically the FFH is my wife's car but I like the car so much I think I drive it more than she does. lol.

Edited by 46stang, 19 June 2013 - 09:51 PM.

• corncobs likes this

202531.png

203413.png

202533.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·