Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Bike rack for the '13 FFH?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

For some of the hitches you need to trim the lower panel where the hitch mounts are, but the socket for the tow bar is under the panel. They may have changed that on newer hitches, what I saw happened to be earlier in the year. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   jeffo65

jeffo65

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

For some of the hitches you need to trim the lower panel where the hitch mounts are, but the socket for the tow bar is under the panel. They may have changed that on newer hitches, what I saw happened to be earlier in the year.

I have looked at a Curt and a Hidden Hitch brand hitch that have been mounted on a 13 FFH and both had the panel removed. The instructions for a Hidden Hitch brand says to trim opposed to remove the panel. This is why I am looking for pictures of how the hitches have been mounted.

I still believe if you remove the inner lower panel, you will degrade the structural integrity of the lower part of the rear bumper. There is a YouTube video of a Hidden Hitch hitch installation and this shows the removal of the panel. I believe it is easier this way even if the instructions for the Hidden Hitch show just trimming of the panel. I would think that with this method, the rear bumper may catch wind and flap some while driving.

Edited by jeffo65, 24 December 2013 - 07:06 PM.

228095.png<p> 

#23 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:54 PM

You might want to check in the non hybrid forum, there may be members there more likely to put a hitch on a gas model. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#24 OFFLINE   pbulling

pbulling

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for sharing the advice on the hitch.  I sent an email to Curt to ask about the hitch.  If you have any other advice on the bike hitch, please share.  Paul

#25 OFFLINE   jmellen

jmellen

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion hybrid

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Trimming works fine.  You do not have to remove the car colored panel below the bumper.  I had a hitch installed by U-Haul. I have a Soft Ride 4 bike rack. To slide the rack in and clear the panel you speak of I had to cut a 2 3/8 inch rectangle in that plastic panel.  I taped it and used my Dremel cutting disc.  The setup works great.  I have a Hidden Hitch on my Sienna which is anything but hidden.  What I like about this hitch on my FFH is that when my bike rack is off it is hardly visible (only the rectangle I slide my rack into).  U-Haul did have to remove a black shield underneath that goes all the way across.  It was just collecting mud on the top side of it with no way of getting it out short of removing it anyway.  For more info email me please.

257870.png

#26 OFFLINE   jmellen

jmellen

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion hybrid

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Here are two pictures of the hitch receiver that I had installed. It has worked great with my bike rack once I cut the 2 3/8 inch square. I don't plan to tow anything with my FFH. The installing dealer recommended 150 pound maximum weight including the bike rack due to it being 'bouncy' weight. Spec for this hitch receiver says tongue weight is 350.

Attached Files

257870.png

#27 OFFLINE   pbulling

pbulling

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have looked at a Curt and a Hidden Hitch brand hitch that have been mounted on a 13 FFH and both had the panel removed. The instructions for a Hidden Hitch brand says to trim opposed to remove the panel. This is why I am looking for pictures of how the hitches have been mounted.

I still believe if you remove the inner lower panel, you will degrade the structural integrity of the lower part of the rear bumper. There is a YouTube video of a Hidden Hitch hitch installation and this shows the removal of the panel. I believe it is easier this way even if the instructions for the Hidden Hitch show just trimming of the panel. I would think that with this method, the rear bumper may catch wind and flap some while driving.

I share your concern about degrading the bumper.  E-Trailer rep told me that the Draw Tite Hitch (hitch #24897 http://www.etrailer....tml#review87167) could be trimmed in.   Did you install a hitch or pursue futher?  Thanks, Paul 

• jeffo65 likes this

#28 OFFLINE   jeffo65

jeffo65

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 312 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

I share your concern about degrading the bumper.  E-Trailer rep told me that the Draw Tite Hitch (hitch #24897 http://www.etrailer....tml#review87167[/size])[/size] could be trimmed in.   Did you install a hitch or pursue futher?  Thanks, Paul

I spoke with etrailer and we discussed the situation and have decided in the upcoming months I would go to etrailer and we would try a few hitches to see what can be done. I live about 20 minutes from etrailer.

Right now using the truck top bike rack on the Xterra for the mountain bikes. But come summer time, my wife rides with a group of women and she wants a rack on the Fusion.
228095.png<p> 

#29 OFFLINE   pbulling

pbulling

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

I spoke with etrailer and we discussed the situation and have decided in the upcoming months I would go to etrailer and we would try a few hitches to see what can be done. I live about 20 minutes from etrailer.

Right now using the truck top bike rack on the Xterra for the mountain bikes. But come summer time, my wife rides with a group of women and she wants a rack on the Fusion.

I rode today and transported my bike inside the car with the seats down.  Rear rack would be a lot easier.  Sounds like you're in a pretty good spot to come up with some ideas.  If you do, please post.  Thanks, Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·