Sign in to follow this  
GrySql

Bike rack for the '13 FFH?

Anyone added a trunk mount 2 bike rack to their brand new shiny car yet? Like this one.

I don't really want to remove the bottom rear panel to add a 1-1/4" trailer hitch.

Trouble is these cars trunks are not all steel, instead some sort of fiberglass sandwich.

The bottom half of the trunk lid is even part of the bumpers crash zone and designed to be replaced after a rear end collision.

Ideas?

I looked at that too, and decided the hitch would be a much better solution. The hitch is under the bumper, so no holes need to be cut in it, some trimming is needed at the corners, but underneath where you can't see it. You would need an 1 1/4" to 2" adapter though, they only make class I hitches.

I looked at that too, and decided the hitch would be a much better solution. The hitch is under the bumper, so no holes need to be cut in it, some trimming is needed at the corners, but underneath where you can't see it. You would need an 1 1/4" to 2" adapter though, they only make class I hitches.

Yes, I agree, the Class 1 hitch is the primo way to go.

Unfortunately, the instructions show permanently removing the whole (streamlining) narrow lower panel under the rear of the car though. Tough decision.

I guess that depends on which hitch you use. The one I looked at only had the area where the hitch mount ends removed. What brand hitch are you looking at?

Right, the Curt hitch video was what i watched. Hadn't seen the one you linked to, thanks.

Warranty, eCVT, weight, fiberglass panels ...

Thinking, thinking....

A bike rack wont hurt the warranty, but pull a horse trailer, and they may not like you very much! :)

pull a horse trailer, and they may not like you very much! :)

Those horse days are past, sold my F-350 4X4, Expedition 4X4 and travel trailer too.

One of our 5 grown up kids is into horses in a big way though, she has Dodge and Ford diesel trucks for that sort of thing.

That is one reason why this quiet, good mpg car is so appreciated after all those years of doing the hard stuff with heavy iron.

I traded a 12 F150 EB for this one. Traded an F350 Dually diesel for the F150. Talk about downsizing. Problem is I still have 3 horses and a horse trailer, and nothing to pull it with. Last time I used it though was 2003.

Yes, big difference, I might just forget about the bikes.

A friend once told me the simple way to travel was to 'pack your wallet, not your bags'.

Well, if I had his $ I would.

You're going to need to weld an equalizing hitch on that Mercury.

Our horsey daughter makes her side money transporting horses, that is always an alternative for you.

Edited by GrySql

I have a WD for the trailer, so just a matter of undoing the rusty bolts and resetting it to the car. The Merc has auto ride suspension, so it will equalize and level itself too. To think this was how it was done decades ago, no one needed a pickup to haul a trailer.

I have a WD for the trailer, so just a matter of undoing the rusty bolts and resetting it to the car. The Merc has auto ride suspension, so it will equalize and level itself too. To think this was how it was done decades ago, no one needed a pickup to haul a trailer.

Sure, that was me, decades ago.

Me too. Pulled a 2 horse trailer with a 1979 LTD Wagon. Had no problems pulling it either. Handled much better than the 1997 Explorer I used to pull my current trailer.

Edited by acdii

I got a Curt hitch and a Swagman platform rack very similar to that rack. Almost identical. Expect your mileage to drop at least 8 mpg
Mine did with 2 light mountain bikes. You also might consider a swing type as the trunk can't open with bikes in place.

Edited by airbusguy

I got a Kurt hitch and a Swagman platform rack very similar to that rack. Almost identical. Expect your mileage to drop at least 8 mpg

Mine did with 2 light mountain bikes. You also might consider a swing type as the trunk can't open with bikes in place.

Can you share the link to the platform rack you got?

Has anyone installed a Hidden Hitch brand hitch on their 13/14 Hybrid? I am leaning towards the Hidden Hitch since the directions show that you do not need to remove the lower panel. I am sure this panel is in place for aerodynamics and integrity for the lower part of the rear bumper.

If someone has installed a hitch, could you post a few pics of the mounting points and underneath of the rear bumper? I want to see if removing the panel is necessary or if trimming it would work.

Thanks!

For some of the hitches you need to trim the lower panel where the hitch mounts are, but the socket for the tow bar is under the panel. They may have changed that on newer hitches, what I saw happened to be earlier in the year.

For some of the hitches you need to trim the lower panel where the hitch mounts are, but the socket for the tow bar is under the panel. They may have changed that on newer hitches, what I saw happened to be earlier in the year.

I have looked at a Curt and a Hidden Hitch brand hitch that have been mounted on a 13 FFH and both had the panel removed. The instructions for a Hidden Hitch brand says to trim opposed to remove the panel. This is why I am looking for pictures of how the hitches have been mounted.

I still believe if you remove the inner lower panel, you will degrade the structural integrity of the lower part of the rear bumper. There is a YouTube video of a Hidden Hitch hitch installation and this shows the removal of the panel. I believe it is easier this way even if the instructions for the Hidden Hitch show just trimming of the panel. I would think that with this method, the rear bumper may catch wind and flap some while driving.

Edited by jeffo65

You might want to check in the non hybrid forum, there may be members there more likely to put a hitch on a gas model.

Thanks for sharing the advice on the hitch. I sent an email to Curt to ask about the hitch. If you have any other advice on the bike hitch, please share. Paul

Trimming works fine. You do not have to remove the car colored panel below the bumper. I had a hitch installed by U-Haul. I have a Soft Ride 4 bike rack. To slide the rack in and clear the panel you speak of I had to cut a 2 3/8 inch rectangle in that plastic panel. I taped it and used my Dremel cutting disc. The setup works great. I have a Hidden Hitch on my Sienna which is anything but hidden. What I like about this hitch on my FFH is that when my bike rack is off it is hardly visible (only the rectangle I slide my rack into). U-Haul did have to remove a black shield underneath that goes all the way across. It was just collecting mud on the top side of it with no way of getting it out short of removing it anyway. For more info email me please.