fusionTX

What's the most gallons you've been able to put in at one fill-up?[

1992 Ford Crown Victoria. It had the HPP package, High Performance and handling, so the pump was a high volume work horse, and guess it doesn't like to run out of fuel at all.

Ahhh....ok.

I'm HALF tempted with trying that on my new FFH. You'd think that with modern fuel pumps (especially on the FFH) that this shouldn't be an issue...

IIRC the fuel pump in the Vic was vertical too, so when really low half the pump was out of the fuel. So when it runs out of gas, the pump has been out of the fuel for quite a bit. It wont get hot enough to ignite, just enough so that the tolerances in the motor shrink and causes it to use more and more current until eventually the fuse pops, or in my case, because SOMEONE put the wrong fuse in, burns up the wiring. The wires in the tank are heavier gauge than what was in the trunk, thankfully, or I may not be here talking about it.

I got 12.636 is my max. That was after only 8 and 9 gallons on the initial few fillups. The nozzel would click and the station attendant just pulled it out. I had to talk them into letting me fill it up after it clicked full. It's illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon. However I do it every time on my Motorcycle?

You have station attendants? I thought that was only in New Jersey. These must be the only two states left.

My max 13.5 on my way down to fl going to see how it goes on the way back to nyc on sunday

My max 13.5 on my way down to fl going to see how it goes on the way back to nyc on sunday

Isnt the capacity 13.5 on the tank?

Thats how much I put in I guess the tank was never filled to max because I have driven 440 miles so far and I have a 1/4 tank with 95 miles til empty and used 10.5 gallons so far

Edited by Da0ne

Interesting, that appears to be the most anyone has been able to put in one so far.

Makes me wonder if it ever had that much gas other that what I put in, but it clicked at 12 gallons the first time so I kept going and after 3 more clicks it stoped at 13.5.

I think I will get gas when the low light comes on or close to zero because now I know I have 13.5 gallons of gas in tue car

Just under half tank, but still a long way to go.... the tank starts off with such a can-do attitude as I've seen the combined total over 700 a couple times... but then it gets closer to reality as the tank burns through. Last fill-up was 591 miles with 36 miles DTE.

TripStatus_20130523_zps0304d47a.jpg

Edited by jeff_h

I had my first fill up for the 1000 mile challenge today. The pump stopped at 10.5 gallons and almost had work it hard to get to 11. Anyway here is what it showed 10 miles before the station.

3A01EC26-6C41-4780-8BCF-EB289990C89F-210

80C826A3-9A3B-411F-BDB1-4AA0FD3B59B6-210

I might not win the 1000 miles but I will for sure be happy!

I had my first fill up for the 1000 mile challenge today. The pump stopped at 10.5 gallons and almost had work it hard to get to 11. Anyway here is what it showed 10 miles before the station. 3A01EC26-6C41-4780-8BCF-EB289990C89F-21080C826A3-9A3B-411F-BDB1-4AA0FD3B59B6-210

I might not win the 1000 miles but I will for sure be happy!

That is awesome mileage!

While most of us cannot get more than about 11.5-12 gallons in no matter how low we go, on the C-Max Hybrid Forum they've had a similar discussion and in the C-Max it appears that when the DTE reaches zero people are putting in about 12.5-13 gallons. Some C-Max owners have even gone 700+ miles on one tank with a tank MPG around 53-55 MPG which means they're putting in a full 13 gallons when their DTE reaches 0 miles. This is an interesting discrepancy.

I found something very interesting today. The car computer showed 11.63 gallons used and 55.2 MPGs. However I was able to pump in 12.942 gallons into the tank. The pump was slightly uphill which may be a part of it. But my theory is that the air in the tank is not escaping quickly enough when pumping gas and that is leading to lower numbers. So today I put the nozzle in and took it out a couple of times before beginning to pump gas to help equalize the air pressure. I did the same thing after the first click off which was aroun 11.25 gallons. After taking the nozzle in and out a few times I was able to put in a lot more gas. I hope that on my next fill up I can accomplish something similar through the same procedure and thus establish the needed procedure to fully fill the tank. I think the issue in the past is that we're not getting our tanks all the way full most of the time.

Another interesting discovery, later on in the day when my wife and I were driving around we were surprised to hear this disconcerting noise when moving at low speeds. We were unsure of what the noise was but could hear this quiet clunking, moving of parts at low speeds. At first we thought it was the brakes, but quickly disproved that because the noise would continue even after releasing the brakes. We thought it could be something in the wheels but disproved that when the noise continued even after stopping. Then I got out and listened while my wife slowly drove back and forth. We could determine that the noise was coming from the rear of the vehicle and on the left side. Finally I crouched down and listened as she drove back and forth past me and then it clicked...the noise is gasoline sloshing around in the tank. The gas tank is located just in front of the rear axle on the driver's side of the car. That was the noise we were hearing. I imagine that since the gas tank is not normally completely full we had never heard the noise before since this is our first time to have a full tank in nice weather with windows down. It was a rather amusing moment after we'd been concerned and preoccupied about this noise and it turned out to just be the gas sloshing around in the tank...

Makes me wonder if it ever had that much gas other that what I put in, but it clicked at 12 gallons the first time so I kept going and after 3 more clicks it stoped at 13.5.

I think I will get gas when the low light comes on or close to zero because now I know I have 13.5 gallons of gas in tue car

I'm a litlte bit surprised and shocked that you're able to put 13.5 cuz that IS the capacity of the tank. So you must be running on the vapours that are left in the tank for you to be able to put 13.5 gallons in. That's ballsy. :D

What's the messed up rational behind that?

There are two reasons behind Oregon's law against pumping your own gas:

Jobs

Lower station insurance

Here's the thing, most people believe our costs should be more since an attendant has to pump our gas. The opposite seems to be true, it is more expensive in Washington or California.

I found something very interesting today. The car computer showed 11.63 gallons used and 55.2 MPGs. However I was able to pump in 12.942 gallons into the tank. The pump was slightly uphill which may be a part of it. But my theory is that the air in the tank is not escaping quickly enough when pumping gas and that is leading to lower numbers. So today I put the nozzle in and took it out a couple of times before beginning to pump gas to help equalize the air pressure. I did the same thing after the first click off which was aroun 11.25 gallons. After taking the nozzle in and out a few times I was able to put in a lot more gas. I hope that on my next fill up I can accomplish something similar through the same procedure and thus establish the needed procedure to fully fill the tank. I think the issue in the past is that we're not getting our tanks all the way full most of the time.

Another interesting discovery, later on in the day when my wife and I were driving around we were surprised to hear this disconcerting noise when moving at low speeds. We were unsure of what the noise was but could hear this quiet clunking, moving of parts at low speeds. At first we thought it was the brakes, but quickly disproved that because the noise would continue even after releasing the brakes. We thought it could be something in the wheels but disproved that when the noise continued even after stopping. Then I got out and listened while my wife slowly drove back and forth. We could determine that the noise was coming from the rear of the vehicle and on the left side. Finally I crouched down and listened as she drove back and forth past me and then it clicked...the noise is gasoline sloshing around in the tank. The gas tank is located just in front of the rear axle on the driver's side of the car. That was the noise we were hearing. I imagine that since the gas tank is not normally completely full we had never heard the noise before since this is our first time to have a full tank in nice weather with windows down. It was a rather amusing moment after we'd been concerned and preoccupied about this noise and it turned out to just be the gas sloshing around in the tank...

haha...sorry. Sometimes I take for granted what I know or what information I can get access to (even if it just means lifting the car up).

Yes, the fuel tank is under the rear seats, in front of the rear axle and it runs ACROSS the width of the vehicle (or nearly so, not just the driver's side).

I just managed to put 13.266 gallons in my tank. DTE showed 0, but I probably drove 3-4 miles beyond the DTE that's shown on the display cluster (and then prolly another mile on pure electric. Yay! Thank Ford for that!)

I probably could have put more in too, but I hit the $50 mark (@$3.769/gal) so I just left it there. First clicked happened at like 11.something gallons. So it's quite possible to put 13.5 gallons in there. Or I would have gotten REALLY close to it.

I not positive since the tank still showed 1/4, but I think I may have got an additional 1.5 or slightly more fuel in by raising the handle of the nozzle. In the past, I've got 8 gal in at 1/4 indicated. Today I got 9.691. DTE came out at 578, the highest I've seen and the fuel used was within 0.1 of fill quantity. Now if I can just get the mileage to stay above 40.

Edited by terryb

Sorry I'm new. Can anyone tell me why you need to keep clicking the pump to get it to fill up? That is what I'm understanding from reading all the comments.

The waiting and then going to a second click is suggested as SOP by the owners manual. As for the reasoning, I can only imagine that the fuel needs settling time, which suggests foaming. My time in the industry says gasoline doesn't foam. The only time I try to go to extra actions to get more fuel in is if I'm planning to drive some distance immediately. I'd hate to have the sixty degree underground temperature fuel warm up to 95 degree ambient and climb back out of my too tightly filled tank.

I've noticed something interesting: over my last three tanks, I've been able to put more in each time. On a road trip this weekend, I put in 13.66 gallons with 3 miles DTE, and only one click.

Since the tank is 13.5 gallons either gas was going back into the vapor recovery system or that is a station to stay away from.

My last trip actually registered Fuel used as 13.52gal. I'll get the pic up soon. So, I normally top off my vehicles... I know.... bad me. But I'll try to put back in the amount that the vehicle tells me I used. So, for that trip, I did put in 13.816.

Please feel free to ridicule my actions - but from my experience, 4 vehicles over the last 17 years. All of which I continue to top off well past the first click, none have suffered ill effects.

My 1993 SL2 - which I have owned since 1996, is still a daily driver for me - I top off at least 1.5 gal after the first click, and I have over 5 years of meticulous fuel records to go with it.

My 2003 Saturn Vue - put 82k miles on it - topped it off every time... Don't own that anymore. Still have the fuel records though

My 2009 Saturn Outlook - I consistently put in 2 gallons more after the first click every time I fill it up. (logic there being whatever extra I put in will burn off in the first 20 miles anyway... (have the entire fuel history on it)

My 2013 FFH - I will treat no different. Except when i drive to Oregon, and they don't let me fill my tank. (since buying it used I have my fuel history)

Stupidity - maybe so. Consistency - absolutly. So, consistent stupidity :) Time will tell. I know my 93 Saturn doesn't have the vapor recovery sys my new vehicles have...

Is my vapor recovery system compromised on my 2009 Outlook - probably. Take it as you will, but my largest fill on the Fusion is 14.000

Fuel fills - So far - the 10 gal 27 MPG fill was in Oergon, couldn't top off.....