gemdc

Hybrid transmission (HF35) fluid level check?

Hello gemdc,

the HF35 Gearbox oil level check is the same as you do on a manual transmission. Se attached file.

If you need more information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Have a nice day.

Wolfgang

Hi

could you please re-upload the pdf file.

Thanks

So I’m trying to get my CVT fluid changed and the dealer quoted me $262, before tax . I asked the woman why it was so much and she said they changed the recipe, apparently in addition to Merton LV they also use some sort of additive I think she said BG MOA additive... What are you all paying for these fluid changes? Was an additive used?

Definitely will be doing the fluid change myself.

Do you have 150,000 miles on the car? That is the change interval for the automatic transmission fluid.

Well not quite, approaching 125k, but I’ve heard the horror stories of bearing failures. Anywho, other eCVT fluids are changed every 60k, from Prius to our closest cousin the Escape hybrid (which uses Mercon LV). I think I will err on the side of caution and change it asap

So I’m trying to get my CVT fluid changed and the dealer quoted me $262, before tax . I asked the woman why it was so much and she said they changed the recipe, apparently in addition to Merton LV they also use some sort of additive I think she said BG MOA additive... What are you all paying for these fluid changes? Was an additive used?

Definitely will be doing the fluid change myself.

Don't install any additives.

Its easy to drain but hard to fill.

Need to make a special fill adapter that screws into the side if the case, hose, small funnel.

Can someone please repost Oel Check Fusion Hybrid gearbox.pdf? I am having no luck finding the fill and overflow bolts on my 2013 hybrid. Dealer is telling me I need replace cvt. Car runs fine just have a odd winning noise when engine is on in cvt. I would like to replace the fluid because a see a leak where the axle goes into the gear box. I have no way to know how must ctv fluid has been lost.

imagen2-1.jpg

The fill is on the drivers side. About the 9:30 position if your looking at the drive axle.

You will need a M10x1.0 fitting and a suction gun to get fluid in it. Its not simple for a do it yourselfer.

imagen3.jpg

Edited by billford

Can someone please repost Oel Check Fusion Hybrid gearbox.pdf? I am having no luck finding the fill and overflow bolts on my 2013 hybrid. Dealer is telling me I need replace cvt. Car runs fine just have a odd winning noise when engine is on in cvt. I would like to replace the fluid because a see a leak where the axle goes into the gear box. I have no way to know how must ctv fluid has been lost.

Changing the fluid wont help, the transmission is failing due to a bad bearing. Are you within the 8 year/ 100k mile hybrid warranty?

Edited by lolder

Nope I am screwed it's 5 year 117K. They want 5.9K to replace it for a car only worth 5-6k. Love the car but not sure what to do at this point.

Nope I am screwed it's 5 year 117K. They want 5.9K to replace it for a car only worth 5-6k. Love the car but not sure what to do at this point.

I drove mine for nearly 20k after it first started whining. It never actually failed, although MPGs dropped significantly. I eventually got sick of it and traded it in. Long story, short - I brought it to the dealer when still just under 100k mile warranty, and they said they couldn't hear anything (I could) and nothing was wrong. A month later (just over 100k), they were suddenly able to hear it and determined it needed a new transmission. I argued and lost. And yet, here I am driving a 2018. It was, and is a great car, with that significant exception. So, been there, done that. I share your misfortune. Good luck to you!

The metal particles from the bearing may not interfere with the planetary and other gears in the transmission for some time.

Edited by lolder

That's interesting that when I replaced mine and it was making quiet a bit of noise, I didn't notice any drop in mpg's. or improvement with the new trans.

Paul

Hey everyone! I am planning on draining and filling the transmission fluid on my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium. I will use the proper Motorcraft fluid. Going to use the drain plug to let the ATF out. Then I'm going use to use one of the transmission funnel that has a 18 inch by 0.5 inch flexible pipe to refill the transmission with the same amount as I took out with about an extra 1/3 of a quart to account for spills, etc. Then I'm going to drive the car around to warm up the fluid, jack it back up to the same height, and then open the leveling screw with the engine off to let out the excess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MCXOOA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004X143

1. Will the 18" extension be enough to reach the fill plug?

2. What kind of thread sealant do I need for the various plugs?

3. Does anyone have the pictures of the various plugs?

4. Anyone have any advice?

Not in huge rush. Will spend more time to get a better understanding of the endeavor before embarking on it.

Hey everyone! I am planning on draining and filling the transmission fluid on my 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium. I will use the proper Motorcraft fluid. Going to use the drain plug to let the ATF out. Then I'm going use to use one of the transmission funnel that has a 18 inch by 0.5 inch flexible pipe to refill the transmission with the same amount as I took out with about an extra 1/3 of a quart to account for spills, etc. Then I'm going to drive the car around to warm up the fluid, jack it back up to the same height, and then open the leveling screw with the engine off to let out the excess.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MCXOOA

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004X143

1. Will the 18" extension be enough to reach the fill plug?

2. What kind of thread sealant do I need for the various plugs?

3. Does anyone have the pictures of the various plugs?

4. Anyone have any advice?

Not in huge rush. Will spend more time to get a better understanding of the endeavor before embarking on it.

Check out post 32 for pictures. It shows the factory fill location. Its not easy to get fluid in it but a do it yourselfer can manage.

There may be another port where you can fill the fluid and use the factory fill to adjust to the correct level but I have not checked into it. You don't what to remove a bolt or plug and have something fall apart inside.

The fill port has a resuable square cut o ring.

The drain needs to have pipe thread sealer. I used Loctite PTFE sealer.

Oil level checked on a warm engine?

Edited by Sychie

I don't really think it matters, I opened my side level plug with 150k miles on it and fluid started coming out when it was cold. I'm not sure that it has ever been checked.

Paul

On 2/8/2020 at 10:20 AM, Sychie said:

Oil level checked on a warm engine?

For the trans fluid, the service manual says: 

Start the engine and allow to run for 1 minute. Turn engine off and wait 5 minutes.

The fluid level should be at the bottom of the fill hole.

I find its best to use a bent wire to act as a dipstick. 

On 2/9/2020 at 11:53 AM, Sychie said:

Thank you for your reply. Can I ask you to send me this instruction?

Transmission fluid level check on a 2013 and later Fusion hybrid:

Note: I find that step 3, removing the lower cover does not have to be done.

Transmission Fluid Level Check.pdf

Edited by billford

Do you have oil change instructions? :)

Edited by Sychie

12 hours ago, Sychie said:

thanks ?

Do you have oil change instructions? ?

There are no service manual step by step instructions on how to change oil that I could find, but owners manual has what and when to check based on time and mileage.

Process was very simple due to @billford providing instructions. I way overthought it. Access is available to the drain plug if you lift the car using ramps. After you drain it, replace the drain plug and use high temp thread sealant. Take the car off the ramp. Just got the Mityvac 7201 for $100 from Amazon, pumped fluid into the fill hole until it started dripping. You can also use a funnel but note that my 3/8 inch tube was too thick to fit into the fill port. Pumped over 4.5 quarts of fluid into the system before it started to drip. Replace the fill plug. Run the engine for a minute. I shifted through all the gears but it's not in the instructions. Wait five minutes. Open the fill plug and let excess fluid drain.