gemdc

Hybrid transmission (HF35) fluid level check?

Give it time. Once the weather warms up and guys start to mess with the cars, like me, there will be quite a few who may find it.

If its like a manual, the level is just below the hole. Dont know what fluid they use, but should be clear and clean.

These shouldn't make any noise other than a slight electrical whirr at very low speeds. All this is warrantied so don't mess with it yourself.

Edited by lolder

The 2010 was a totally different animal, took some getting used to the new one. In the 10 I could get on the highway and feather the pedal at 65 MPH and kick it up into the 40 range in moments, but the 13, does not work the same way. The only noise I heard in the 10 was the AC compressor, sounded like it was about to puke its guts out on the ground, but apparently that is normal. I will take a little noise from the ICE in the 13 when it can deliver so much better handling than the 10. The 10 was a nice solid car, but the 13 has so much more to offer.

Not only that, but no clutch plates to produce particles with like a regular transmission. No drums, no torque converter to heat up, few moving parts, in fact, aren't all the parts fully meshed?

Has anyone found a diagram or photo of the Fusion Hybrid HF35 "trans"? Lots of pics of the Prius but Ford added a shaft or two which require more gears. Just curious whether any of the gear pairs have straight cut versus bevel cut gears. Straight cut gears have always been noted for noise when not under power or deceleration. I am just guessing based on the sounds I have heard from my FFH and MKZh that there is at least one set of straight cut gears. There should be a factory service manual that shows the internals by now. Haven't heard that anyone has had a service department take one apart so maybe not a manual as yet.

I doubt there are any "straight cut gears" in these transmissions. Here's a link to an earlier one but they're all the same architecture with offset shafts instead of inline like the Toyota's. http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f13/introduction-ford-hybrids-20777/

They don't have a chain belt like the Toyota, it's all gears. The whine you sometimes hear is electrical from the MG's or inverters.

I think the lay-out architecture is the same. I recall seeing a video of the Ford hybrid transmission ( and standard automatic ) assembly line and the transmission resembled the Aisin. The photos are really from the Gen 1 Mariner. Rattles aren't normal ! They should be very smooth and quiet. There were some clicking noises in early drive-shafts that were solved by washers or spacers, I believe. I really wouldn't give up trying to fix a rattle coming from the transmission.

Edited by lolder

Mine is noisy, I have 2 distinct sounds emanating from the front when decelerating. One I attribute to the tires, its a thump that I can hear all the time, but more noticeable while braking, the second is a ratcheting whirring noise. I hear that while braking too, but only as I just about come to a stop and can only be heard when the radio is off and it is very quiet in the car. Pretty sure that sound is the motors.