steveo358

Spare Tire for fusion hybrid

Anybody checked with TireRack for the Continental CST17? They had it, then it was gone, but

wondering if it's back now. That's where I got it from some months ago.

Is there a significant impact to MPG/FE based on carrying the spare? IIRC, someone stated that there's ~28 pound difference when carrying the spare versus the tools that came with the car. Has anyone noticed a massive drop in FE?

Is there a significant impact to MPG/FE based on carrying the spare? IIRC, someone stated that there's ~28 pound difference when carrying the spare versus the tools that came with the car. Has anyone noticed a massive drop in FE?

There may be a very slight impact but I wouldn't think it would be much... you're talking about having not even the weight of one additional passenger being carried around, maybe the weight of a small toddler and car seat. if there is a MPG hit, it shouldn't be much, should it?

The significant impact to NOT carrying a spare is real, and likely to be expensive. I like the tradeoff! Honestly, mileage is good enough that I am not going to worry about some additional weight vs an impact on mileage.

Agree with that statement. Have been carrying the spare along with a jack and set of wheel chocks and the stupid TMK (for inflator purposes only) and have not noticed

anything at all different in mileage.

Slight update.

I purchased the factory spare tire and the 2003 Winstar jack via eBay. After checking them both out, they both will work well... but I can't flip the donut over and put the jack and the compressor into the middle of the tire!

So now I have a slight bump in the floor of the trunk as the jack pops up a bit. You can't easily see it, but you can feel it. First world problems, I know.

There has been a lot of discussion of tire pressure in the tires that come mounted on the car, but none that I can see about the "right" amount of pressure for the spare. My dealer mounted the spare and filled it to 50 psi. The sidewall (Continental T135/90R16) indicates a maximum pressure of 60 psi. Right now I'm leaving it at 50 psi. Any thoughts?

Please give us some feedback about driving on this tire. A bunch of us have it, but few have used it,

so your experience is valuable. It seems like it would work as well as any doughnut tire could.

Still better than being without one.

Hi folks. I have been reading along with everything here and appreciate what I have learned and shortly I expect I'll take the plunge and order the tire and rim.

Up here in Canada I found the Continental CST 17 Tire in the T135/90/R16 size for $92. at one of our large retailers. Wow, that is less than Tire Rack and I can walk in and pick it up. Good so far..... :happy feet:

So armed with that information I went to the dealer to see my new Black Beauty (Tuesday I get it) :love_shower: and wandered over to parts to enquire about the remote start, which they have not ordered yet , grr. :ohsnap: I casually asked about the steel rim for the tire....$182 he replies. I almost fell down. Hooley Madooley that is tres expensive for a 16" steel rim. :drop:

Can anyone on here share the price they paid and hopefully the parts guy made a mistake. I didn't have the part number with me, although I do have it (thank you members) and will take it with me on Tuesday.