steveo358

Spare Tire for fusion hybrid

Well, I think I may have made a big mistake. I too am looking for a spare tire option for my 2013 FFH with the 18 inch wheel option. I Ordered the rim from Ford and it should be here on Friday. The jack off of ebay arrived today as did the spare tire. I could not find a Continental tire, and I didn't want to order a spare on ebay that was already 7 or 8 years old. Instead I ordered a Bridgestone T135/90D16 from Tire rack. Obviously I have not mounted it yet, but as I stand it up next to my Goodyear LS-2 18 wheels, it is 1.5 inches shorter. I doubt that after mounting it will "grow" at least 1 inch. Is there that much difference between the Continental and the Bridgestone? This simple project is getting more complicated than it should be. Help!

The wheel and the tire are both 16", right? Sure it's going to be pretty awkward if it needs to be used (personally I like the comment someone else made, if needed move a good tire to the front and this dinky one on the back), it's only designed to be a temp thing for a short distance and just keep you from being stuck on the side of the road, right?

Thanks for all of your hard work. My wife and I are planning a trip on the first half of route 66 this fall, but we were both leary of driving out in the middle of nowhere without a spare. You have been a lifesaver GrySql!

Not sure why the actual tire size should vary so much from the Contenental, but

one I got from TireRack lists as: T135/90R-16 Continental CST 17

I don't know if the CST17 is key (meaning Compact Spare TIre for 17" size tire?)

or the R/D (don't think that matters). But I would think they'd be the same

circumference...

I am waiting on my rim, but even if you compare the slightly smaller size to most

donut tires, it still should work fine.

I did get a 2011 Fusion jack off EBay, in pristine condition too and the lug nut

size is definitely the same, I will test the jack this weekend, but I think it's perfect.

Even got a spare funnel for gas.

A spare tire is a necessity. Here is a story that will make you get the spare or really good roadside assistance. I had to order my Ford Fusion Hybrid and the dealership I purchased from never disclosed that there wasn't a spare tire in the car. When I asked about it before the car came I was told it would have a doughnut. Low and behold I kept meaning to look to see where the tire was and I got my first flat Sunday Night. It was 5 pm on Sunday night, I was an hour from home.

I opened the trunk to find a mobility kit. I had to read the instructions on it to use it, (by the way) the sealant cansiter can only be used once***replacement cost $24.99 (high probabilty of damaging tire sensor also, be prepared to have to replace that also). The hole in my tire was to big to seal so I called Ford Roadside assistance. Ford Roadside assistance will only tow you to a dealership. There was a dealership 1/4 of mile from where I got the flat, I could see it. It was closed. Ford Roadside assistance said they would tow my car to the dealership and then in the morning when they reopened it could be repaired. I then asked and how do I get home from the dealership. I was told to get ride, call cab. Ok, but then I am hour from my car. Needless, to say they wanted $800 to tow me home, I called a different roadside assistance and paid $99.

This story is already ridiculous because if I would have had a spare I would not have needed to be towed. But it gets worse. The car gets towed home and in the morning I now have to call another tow truck to tow me to the dealership. It just kept getting worse from there. Apparantly, the tire on the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid is some super rare size, only made in Canada. None of the dealerships in the state had any in stock. It took the dealership two days to get the tire and replace it. I went three days without my car all because I had a mobility kit instead of a spare. At this point still no spare and mobility kit canister empty. I went to the parts department to get a refill canister. They don't carry it in stock, it has to be ordered. I left the dealership with no spare and a non functional mobility kit.

Two tow truck drivers and the Ford dealership service department explained that the mobility kit is useless on any hole bigger then a nail. The majority of flat tires can not be repaired with a sealant.

Now when I went to the dealership to discuss this no spare situation, I explained that if I would have known this information I would not have purchased the car, that is how much I value a spare tire. Dealership is now currently trying to convince me no spare is available, and that Ford does not want people changing their tires on the side of the road. I was also told that the fusion when it has a flat tire is to low to get a jack underneath it. I wonder if Ford actually supports that opinion?

Hope this helps anyone debating the spare tire issue.

Aye, glad it's finally in the trunk.

I'm sure Tire Rack or a Dealer can order this sized tire, that's all the Dealer's Parts Dept did.

There are other brands in that size too.

Now, where to store the Jack w/integrated handle?

It's too long to fit inside the 16" spare wheel, no place else for storage in the car or under the hood.

I scratched my head for quite some time and ended with a non-elegant solution, for now.

It's now hanging upside down in the trunk, from the rear speaker deck.

The Jack base is against a indentation in the deck, almost level with the roof of the trunk.

I takes up almost no extra cargo room because there are other protrusions in front and behind it.

I used 3 heavy gauge Zip-ties to anchor it, with a rubber pad between the metal deck and the Jack base - no rattles, no vibration.

I'll just cut the Zip-ties if the Jack is needed, replace when time allows.

I'm still thinking about this, may change things later.

photocopy2_zps56e21ba3.jpg

Thank you, GrySql, for putting all this effort into solving the problem. I just bought my FFH Ti with the 18" Eagles last night, and I ordered all the parts for the spare tire assembly this morning. Had to get the Bridgestone Tracompa T135/90D-16 since they were out of the Continental and one other (Firestone? Goodrich? Can't remember.) Opted to go with the regular FF jack, lug wrench, and styrofoam packager. Pricey, but having a real spare is...priceless!!

I find it interesting that the FF Owner's manual has the following comment regarding use of tire sealants: "The use of tire sealants may damage your tire pressure monitoring system and should not be used. However, if you must use a sealant, the tire pressure monitoring system sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer." (No mention whether Ford foots the bill!!)

Again, many thanks for all your hard work.

Thanks Erich, I did not get a response from one junk yard, but as I posted earlier I did get the tire and wheel ordered. I appreciate the suggestions.

Dalesky, I just got a less-than-two-year-old Firestone T135/90D16 from a junked 2012 Passat -- never run on road -- for $35, tire and wheel. Will toss the wheel. There are a number of cars carrying this size spare. Good luck!

You're welcome!

Congratulations on the new car, I know you're going to like it.

Already love it! Another point of concern on a different thread is the software update raising the top speed for EV mode. I will post the following info on that thread, but thought I would pass along here that my just-purchased FFH Ti has the new software as-built. Got EV mode at 70mph today. Pass it on!!

Edited by SamJ20112

I didn't make it under $125 but it came to just over $200 for rim and tire (tirerack.com had a closeout rim for $79 and tire for $99, plus shipping). I was debating whether I really wanted to put down that much money for something that would not be used much, if at all. However, a couple other factors came into play -

1 - Wife's Energi wheels are same size, so this spare could be used on either car when needed.

2 - I drive a lot of miles and over the past 5-10 years have picked up a nail or screw in a tire every 8-12 months, so it's likely that I'll come out to the garage one day and be glad that I have the spare out in the shed.

It is definitely not a match for the OEM wheels, but was a better match (and cheaper due to closeout) than a plain steel wheel.

I had to go back and look at my past post, where I said I pick up a nail or screw in a tire every 8-12 months... I guess I'm ahead of schedule as it was exactly 2 months since I got the spare, but glad I got it since I found a nice present this morning! Just walked back to the shed and got the full-size spare - as when I pulled that screw/bolt out with the vise grips, the air all came out too.

Tire_Bolt_zps8fdfb86d.jpg

Edited by jeff_h