Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Spare Tire for fusion hybrid

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SE Fusion Hybrid Ruby Red 18" Tires

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I picked up my spare tire "donut" from my dealer today, they took two weeks to research it and get it in stock. Cost was $255.00 It's a T16x4T wheel and the tire is T125/80/D16  97M. The overall size of it measures 24 inches and the tire that is on my car now measures about 25.5 inches. I thought it was important to maintain the overall height on all 4 wheels.

I'm not quite sure I understand the math on that tire combo set. It would seem you are 1.50 inches different in height, that's a Big difference. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. 

The way I'm reading this, is you got the Spare Donut Rim and Tire seperate and have yet to have it mounted and Bal.

So the 'rest of the story' ( as Paul Harvey Radio would say) will be after you get it mounted & Bal.  to see if it all fits and works well with the Brakes and the Other Original 18" tires, correct.

Thanks for keepping us all in the loop of Info.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

You're welcome. 

There has to be a solution that is doable and fairly easy for those of us that wander around in strange places outside of cell service.

If this doesn't work you'll see the Frankenstein spare on Ebay and I'll try something else.

BTW, that jack/lug wrench (3/4") combo was a smooth operation and if you look around on Ebay they are available from other Ford vehicles as well.

Just make sure the jack has the slot for matching the Fusion's lifting plate and the lug wrench . 

Go out and look under your car, at the arrow mark, and see the frame mounted, vertical 8' long (+-), thin plate I'm referring to.

The lug wrench/jack handle combo nests on the jack when stored, tidy.

The Ford catalog's price for a jack is $108, the handle/lug wrench is $34 - I paid <$40 shipped for the used assembly.

I've done some research at E-Bay and have found that 1999 up to and including the 2003 Ford Windstar has the same jack, but Don't take MY word for it though , I'm just reading what it says, and they are selling for around $32 + Shipping. Normally you can zoom in on the Jack Pic. @ ebay to see the top of the Jack and compare it to GrySql's Jack Pic's. and also see how neatly it all packs up for storage.

Edited by erichFla, 23 March 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Kaleido, I am also interested to see what happens when it's on the car and you drive a few miles. 

Did you get the Jack/Lug Wrench too?

Just owning it and driving around with it in the trunk is one thing.

Actually using it beforehand and knowing it will work properly when desperately needed is paramount for me.

To my knowledge, you'll be the 1st who has actually tried to run a mis-matched spare on a FFH - a pioneer!

I wish you luck.

Having your Dealer do their own research and delivering it to you may cover any warranty repair if things don't turn out right, one reason I'm ordering through my Dealer too.

Your new spare is about 2" smaller than the stock 17" wheel/tire:

ScreenShot2013-03-23at100849AM_zps272f56

-------------------------

According to the Tire Calculator that tire is 2.46 inches smaller than my 18" Eagles, which is a very large discrepancy between the tires.

That spare tire will rotate 78 more times in a mile than my stock tires.

ScreenShot2013-03-23at94357AM_zps8d66db0

Edited by GrySql, 23 March 2013 - 12:20 PM.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#44 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I dont think it will matter much if on the rear axles, but might be an issue on the front as the speed mismatch can mess up the differential.   With this in mind, if a front tire goes flat, replace it with a regular one from the rear and put the spare on the rear.  The mismatch shouldnt be an issue back there.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#45 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

I'm not willing to guess, that's why I'm doing all this the hard way.

Getting stuck somewhere and saying 'heck, acdii said it wasn't an issue' is not my normal modus operandi.  ;)

The Time Machine....

#46 OFFLINE   Kaleido

Kaleido

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 109 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

The dealer mounted and balanced the wheel and tire for me, they don't buy it as a unit, they buy the tire and the wheel. I did put it on the car (rear) just to make sure the bolt pattern was correct and that it didn't rub anywhere. That part is fine. My next venture is to drive on it, but I didn't want to do that until I check back with the parts manager that was giving me a lecture on how important it is to be within a few 32ns of overall height. I have to contact him Monday. I did talk to another Ford tech that said he didn't think  that size was important. He said if the sensors did give a false reading with the smaller spare, when you re install the repaired flat the system will correct itself. It sure is hard to get a right answer!  By the way the price was just the tire & wheel and labor, NO JACK or LUG WRENCH. I already have those though.

• erichFla likes this

#47 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Kal, who ya gonna trust?

I think you're doing it right, one step at a time because of all the misinformation.

Who is really willing to drive any distance with the dash warning lights on, or,  like the '13 FFH story here on the Forum that would not push over a snow berm and just sat there.

This is a new eCVT in a new integrated OBD system and we're the guinea pigs.

My Ford tech's all agree on using a tire that is as close as possible to avoid problems, not exactly a perfect answer. 

Hence my convoluted way of acquiring the correct spare.

As mentioned, is it important just on the front or all four wheels? 

Moving the spare and tires around works on some cars but how do we know it works in this case.

I plan on testing on both front and back so when the chips are down I know how things work.

• erichFla likes this
The Time Machine....

#48 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'll be more than happy to try it out on mine, if something breaks, oh well. At least then we would know.

Edit, if the wheel from the 10 would fit I would try it out, but I dont think the BP is the same.

Edited by acdii, 23 March 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Posted Image

#49 OFFLINE   Kaleido

Kaleido

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Kal, who ya gonna trust?

I think you're doing it right, one step at a time because of all the misinformation.

Who is really willing to drive any distance with the dash warning lights on, or,  like the '13 FFH story here on the Forum that would not push over a snow berm and just sat there.

This is a new eCVT in a new integrated OBD system and we're the guinea pigs.

That was my snow story, what I found since then is that by disengaging the traction control manually you CAN spin the tires and you can push through deeper snow, I did that the next day as a test, but it's kind of a pain to go through the menu to get to the traction off selection, It's OK when you're alone and testing under your own conditions, but it's annoying if you're involved with traffic on the roads.

#50 OFFLINE   Kaleido

Kaleido

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

Here is the update on the spare tire. I called the dealer today and they said the size is fine, I can drive on the donut without worry. So I did that, I put it on the right front, not the left front because I didn't want to head into oncoming traffic if there was a problem. Off I went, well it pulls like hell to the right when breaking and it goes to the left when accelerating. But it is totally drivable! Remember, this is for emergency use only. but I would not be afraid to have to put 50 or 100 miles on it if I had to. I really gave it the test! Drove it for 20 miles round trip on winding country roads and some decent straightaways. Handling quality seemed fine, it's the breaking that takes getting used to. I got up to 70 mph and the handling was fine, I took the 35 mph parts of the road at between 50 & 60 mph, all was well with the handling  I even came around one turn on the 35 mph section doing 50 mph and had a traffic jam in front of me, the car stopped and handled perfectly now that I was used to the pull to the right. Accelerating was fine too, floor it from a dead stop and get up to 60 mph without a problem, just have to compensate steering a little to the right. At about 17 miles my sensor light came on warning of a tire pressure problem, that's because there is no sensor in the spare, I expect it will take as long to have the light go out after I put the regular tire back on. That's all from the front lines! ha!

• acdii, tr7driver, GrySql and 2 others like this

#51 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Excellent, now suggestion, Since this thread is so long, May be a good idea to create a new post titled Here's the spare you need or something so its easy to find and lists exactly what you got/

Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Kaleido, did the spare tire being inflated fit into the spare tire area after you took out the Air pump and the insert?

#53 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:10 PM

Here is the update on the spare tire. I called the dealer today and they said the size is fine, I can drive on the donut without worry.

That is excellent news for everyone interested in this topic. 
Do post in a separate Topic so it is easily found.

Thanks for the effort, I like simple answers and mine were getting too complicated.

The Time Machine....

#54 OFFLINE   Kaleido

Kaleido

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

Excellent, now suggestion, Since this thread is so long, May be a good idea to create a new post titled Here's the spare you need or something so its easy to find and lists exactly what you got/

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that

#55 OFFLINE   steveo358

steveo358

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 39 posts
  • Current Vehicle:pontiac bonneville

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Is that spare gonna work for people with the 18 inch rims?

#56 OFFLINE   mokee

mokee

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 160 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion SE Hybrid & 2010 F-150 SCREW 2X4

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

GrySql - Let's hope Kaleido's report doesn't stop you from updating your investigation. We all fully appreciate your efforts. Besides, I believe he has different sized wheels.

#57 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

When I was researching 17" replacements for the 18's the diameter was roughly the same overall. What works for one should work for both.  Difference in diameter is .07"  The 17 is 26.25: the 18 is 26.33"

Posted Image

#58 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

GrySql - Let's hope Kaleido's report doesn't stop you from updating your investigation. We all fully appreciate your efforts. Besides, I believe he has different sized wheels.

Thanks for the support.

I am pressing on with the larger spare tire for the 18" wheel/tire combo. 

That way we'll have two points of data. 

Now, we just have to get someone with an 18" car to try a stock spare tire and it's a wrap.

I still wonder why the '13 FFH OM has no input on this whole issue.

A 2010 FFH comes with a spare and has lots of comments in the 2010 OM about driving with dissimilar sized tires and smaller spare tires.

At least Kal has laid one part of the mystery to rest, hooray!  thumb_zpsd7afeeca.gif

Edited by GrySql, 25 March 2013 - 05:29 PM.

The Time Machine....

#59 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Just spoke with my Service Writer about their research into a 18" wheel/tire donut spare. 

They've been trying different combos and fitting them to the trunk.

The tire I submitted is not available nor would it fit in the trunk, after their measurements.

They contend that the largest Space Saver wheel/tire combo that will fit in the trunk's wheel well is a standard T16 Ford wheel (like Kal's) with a Continental T155/80D16.

That measures out to being 0.57" smaller than the 18" wheel/tire size and they feel that it will not present any driving problems.

That is not exactly what was said to me in the beginning, but times change.

Anyway, I had them order it.

But just to make sure, when the spare w/t arrives they will install it on the front of my car and we'll go for a drive.  If all is good it goes in the trunk and I'm done.

BTW, this Dealer just sold a fleet of FFH's and the purchasing company had them put a full size wheel/tire (w/jack/lug wrench) in each car's trunk, loose.

The wheel well's foam insert stays put w/ TMK and the full size spare is to be used in case of need.

We're not the only folks concerned about having a spare.

• mokee and erichFla like this
The Time Machine....

#60 OFFLINE   erichFla

erichFla

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

GrySql , did you read the Post in the Welcome thread were the guy had a semi flat after hitting something in the road and it cut his sidewall. Lucky for him it didn't cut through but only leaks air and Goodyear doesn't have his tire in stock because it's so new.  Now he's driving around on a dangerous cut tire that could blow out any time. I hope Ford will see the error of their ways and start putting the correct size spare tires in these FFH's. It's the RIGHT thing to do, as peoples lives could be at stake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·