Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Spare Tire for fusion hybrid

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   jayjay

jayjay

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:ford
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:27 PM

just about decided to go with the avalon hybrid....you can get a spare with them.....ford is crazy if they think i'm gonna drive across the country without a spare tire.....

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#302 OFFLINE   smr2112

smr2112

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 509 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

At least with the newer Kia Niro, they sell an optional spare tire kit with rim. Would cost about $235.
I traded my Fusion Hybrid for a smaller 2017 iSubaru Impreza, with an actual spare tire. Traded the Ford
with open safety recalls and the Frankenspare and all....it did save me once and the other time
had to call for a flatbed.

I miss the hybrid for sure, but not all the warranty and tech quirks.

2013 FFH Hybrid Titanium 900A / Sterling Grey / Driver Assist / Park Assist / Adapt. Cruise / Moonroof / Navigation -- Took delivery 04/16/13

194152.png

#303 OFFLINE   david@sundanzer.com

david@sundanzer.com

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

My kids used my Fusion to drive ~800 mile to see the grandparents.  It had 4 fairly new tires, but they got a flat at ~10pm in a rural town on the trip and had to sleep in the car all night.

I was 90% sure I was going to buy another Fusion in 2018, but now I'm not sure.  The car needs a real spare tire kit.  Even a portable kit that you can put in your trunk for road trips.  And it needs to be a standard feature so I don't pay 3x the price as an aftermarket accessory. 

#304 OFFLINE   smr2112

smr2112

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 509 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

At least Kia, with the Kia Niro sells a spare tire kit you can buy - that's smart.  If you want it, fine pay for it

(maybe $280 I think),  if you want to go without it, good luck.

It seem impractical this day and age to have to live without it.  With all the recalls and other quirks,

I loved the car and mileage, but I am not a proud Subaru owner - spare tire included!

It was hard for me to drive around knowing my seat belts may not work, and for sure they

let me know that when I traded it in, took a big hit.  Still sitting on some Ford dealers lot and not

selling.  The Subaru dealer told me they could not/would not keep it because of that - and they were right.

2013 FFH Hybrid Titanium 900A / Sterling Grey / Driver Assist / Park Assist / Adapt. Cruise / Moonroof / Navigation -- Took delivery 04/16/13

194152.png

#305 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 397 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ruby Red wLight Stone Leather
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

i have a 2012 fusion hybrid with a donut as the spare...had to use it one time so far. i will be buying a new car in the next 12 months and was seriously thinking about the fusion hybrid again. but if i can't even get a donut, that's a deal breaker for me. i guess ford lost a sale.

A bit late to the "game". but look at this thread, please.  Invoice part# is what you need from Parts Dept of the dealer.  Get the tire tread from TireRack.  That's all for NEW stuff.  Alternative is go to a junkyard or parts reseller and get all the pieces from a '13+ gas Fusion.  You want a 16" compact spare - it will fit in the well where the mobility kit is.

Put the kit in the garage and save the spare for the next car when/if you trade!  I did the compact spare on my prior '15 HyTi and it is now in the SE. <shrug>

Larry - aka Cobra

Big Red: 2017 FFH SE, Ruby Red, Med Light Stone leather

602A SE Luxury Package, Park Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control w/stop & go

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked)

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

Summer rims/tires - 17" Verde Regency rims with OEM tread

Winter rims/tires - 17" OEM rims with Goodyear UltraGrip WRT Ice

#306 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

My 2014 FFH has a spare tire in it.  I only spent about $120 for it and the jack/tools.

#307 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

My '15 didn't have one nor did the current '17.  I used that thread to get the parts as salvagers in my area are few and far between.  The ones I did approach wanted nearly as much as new equipment so I went the dealer/TireRack route.  When I was getting set to trade, I simply yanked it out, put the original mobility kit in and waited.  The mobility kit for the '17 is in the garage ... right next to the OEM sway bar and floor mats! <chuckle>

Larry - aka Cobra

Driver Assist Pkg (lane keeping, BLIS, auto high beams, auto wipers, heated steering wheel)

My additions:  WeatherTech lasercut floor mats, in-channel wind deflectors (dark smoked)

Steeda strut tower brace, Steeda rear sway bar, Steeda hood struts, Ford donut spare

#308 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

I bought mine out of a wrecked gas Fusion. When I sold the car the buyer wanted it to go with the car.

Edited by hermans, 14 June 2017 - 06:53 PM.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#309 OFFLINE   stlouisgeorge

stlouisgeorge

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 120 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum (Shadow Black)

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Just my 2 cents worth (joining this thread on page 16..)

If you are concerned about needing a spare tire or being stuck on the side of the road, just do what I am going to do on my next set of rubber.  Get tires that can't get you you stuck on the side of the road.  I'm talking run-flats.  You can make it to the next town even with a signicant tire puncture.

I already priced out a set of run-flat tires ("gasp!")  for under $900 at Firestone (and that was without shopping around).  The guy said they were the best Bridgestone tires you can buy for my car.  As I cruise through North St. Louis and East St. Louis TWICE each day on my commute I will feel a lot safer on that inevitable 20 degree 11:00PM breakdown on the side of I-70.

Many will poopoo this idea.  Probably cost me .7 miles/gallon because I'm not riding on green tires.  

Back on topic (I actually was on topic)  For those who have a donut.. (I don't in my 2017) you can sell your donut on this forum for $75 and get back that lost mileage in weight alone never worrying about having a flat.  (a donut tire has got to be significant weight drag over the long haul).

#310 OFFLINE   Cobra348

Cobra348

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

... <snip>   . If you are concerned about needing a spare tire or being stuck on the side of the road, just do what I am going to do on my next set of rubber.  Get tires that can't get you you stuck on the side of the road.  I'm talking run-flats.  You can make it to the next town even with a signicant tire puncture.

... <snip>   .Back on topic (I actually was on topic)  For those who have a donut.. (I don't in my 2017) you can sell your donut on this forum for $75 and get back that lost mileage in weight alone never worrying about having a flat.  (a donut tire has got to be significant weight drag over the long haul).

Run-flats ... while I have considered them I'd like to see the prices come down some.  I paid over $800 for the Winter tread I use (17-inch) and I am not up to investing that much again unless it would significantly improve my chances on the road and deliver decent mileage.  Do they work suitably on a sidewall blowout?  My sons Fiesta has had 2 of them due to kickup of construction material.  Knock wood, I've been lucky.

Donut weight ... admittedly the donut and assorted parts weigh a lot more than the kit.  I think someone noted 30-35 pounds or so.  However, right now, I feel a bit better with it there and mileage is mid-40s and gaining each tank - now that Winter is gone.  But I also use the OEM Michelin tread (LRR?) for non-Winter driving, too!

Edited by Cobra348, 19 June 2017 - 11:01 AM.

Larry - aka Cobra

#311 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

The problem with run flats is they will make your car drive like a dump truck.  They will ruin the ride.  A car's suspension needs to be tuned from the beginning for run flat tires.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·