Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Turn signals, wipers and steering wheel controls stopped working.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Osofast

Osofast

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 66 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

This only happened one time and of course it was the first time my wife drove the car. But all of a sudden the steering wheel controls (the 2 directional pads) and both the wipers and more importantly the turn signals all stopped functioning.

We pulled over and put the car in park and shut if off and turned it back on, but still they did not work. We drove for maybe another 5 min. and went to pull into another parking lot and when she tried the turn signal to turn into the lot it and everything else suddenly started working again.

I do not know if voice control buttons or cruise control was affected, but we found this because my wife wanted to change the screen on the right to the leaves and not the radio screen and I was telling her to just press it to the left and when it didn't work of course I tried it thinking she was just unfamiliar with it and then when she tried to pull over we noticed the turn signals didnt work and so on.
Thanks for reading.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,463 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Take it in and report the problem to your dealer.

All of the steering wheel controls are interfaced to the stationary steering column via a coil spring assembly that winds and unwinds as the wheel is turned.  That includes the connections to the air bag in the steering wheel.  They don't break very often.  It has happened to me once on a Thunderbird.  In that case I got an air bag fault light on the dashboard.  They had to replace the coil spring assembly to fix it.

#3 OFFLINE   dbsmall

dbsmall

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH Titanium

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

Similar experience, here.  Picked up the car on Monday.  Today, randomly, none of the buttons or levers on the steering column work.  I can't control the screens, turn on the wipers or turn signal.

I've tried stopping and starting, driving, etc.  It hasn't cleared for me.

I'll call the dealer, tomorrow, to see what they have to say.

#4 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like the connection on the column is loose.  I believe all those buttons and levers connect to one harness on top of the column. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#5 OFFLINE   itschris

itschris

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 47 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Explorer, Audi, 2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

This happened to me on one drive about 2-4 days into ownership.  I talked to a tech at my dealer... he told me that the car will do all sorts of crazy shit the first 300 miles.  They get this a lot and it never repeats itself.  Another common "bug" is that the key isn't recognized.  It happens once, goes away, and doesn't happen again.  I had both happen to me within around the 200 or so mile mark.  Nothing's happened since.

I talked to another owner at the dealership just 2 days ago when I had to bring it in for a bad caliper which totally destroyed my rotor.  She said the second day she had it, she lost the column controls on the way home and was really upset obviously.  Later that day, everything was working again, however.  She's had the car 3 months now with zero issues. 

There might be something to that seemingly stupid response from the tech.

Edited by itschris, 16 May 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   djminfll

djminfll

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 947 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

I continue to have a problem with the Express-up window controls - they work just fine approximately 80% of the time, but then, for no apparent reason, they won't express UP. I brought it into the dealer twice to correct it. The first time, they said they couldn't duplicate it so there is no way to find out why it is happening. I got a call from the Service Manager who asked me to bring it in again, but they still could not duplicate it. Since then, it has continued to happen about 20% of the time. As I told the Service Manager, I guess I'll just wait until it fails completely and then have the entire system replaced. 

2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid Platinum

Burgundy Velvet

Took Ownership 12/23/2016

545038.png

#7 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

@ djmifll

Do you have anything plugged into the 12V outlets? I had the issue early on that with the USB charger still discharging the battery causing the one touch up to get reset.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#8 OFFLINE   chrispal

chrispal

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid SE (2013) / F-150 XLT (2010),

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I also have the problem with the express / one touch windows. Usually it is the front passenger window that won't go up with the one touch but we have also had problems with the driver side window. It has been to the dealer 3 times now. One time they were able to recreate the problem. They replaced a part but it still has the problem. At least the window will go up and down but the express feature should work. Another symptom is that opening all the windows with the remote sometimes works for all but the front passenger window. FYI - Nothing is plugged into any of the outlets or ports.

I would be real interested to hear if anyone gets this problem fixed for good and can share the fix.

#9 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

I would be real interested to hear if anyone gets this problem fixed for good and can share the fix.

Well I don't know how to do a 'permanent' fix, but cycling the sensor will probably get it to behave again for undetermined amount of time (though mine has stayed that way once I cycled/recalibrated the sensor)...

1 - Roll window all the way down, continue to hold button down for 3 seconds

2 - Roll window all the way up, continue to hold button up for 3 seconds

3 - Roll window all the way down, continue to hold button down for 3 seconds

That is generally enough to do the trick, have you tried that?

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

#10 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

I never saw the problem, but when I tried having all windows open using the key FOB, all opened except for the driver's window.
I did the cycling thing and tried again, and next time they all opened and closed, upon FOB commands.

I've never had any battery issues or messages.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#11 OFFLINE   airbusguy

airbusguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

Refering to the original post about steering wheel and column controls inoperative, this happened to me 3 days after I took delivery May 30. No turn signals was the the most bothersome.  I drove to the dealer 40 minutes away, and luckily nothing still worked.  The tech advisor tried all the switches and no steering column functions worked - until he tried the high beams , flash, low and high. Mysteriuosly, it all started working again.  They scanned the car and verified a bunch of modules had reported an error, however, with no firm data in place as everything was now functioning, the work order is still open and I am driving the car for the last 2 weeks with no problems. 

However, yesterday, I tried to reset the long term history for fuel use. When I bring it up on the left hand side display, there are no numbers - just labels.  When I push OK for 2 seconds, I get  the moving bar and "resetting" but still no numbers.  The screen that appears  for long term use after the trip data hasn't changed from about the same time I did the reset which was about the same time I had the controls problem. I think this is all connected.

I am visiting the dealer tomorrow as the original work order is still open.

I will report the out come.

Rob W

210489.png

#12 OFFLINE   airbusguy

airbusguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Turns out the lack of digits on the lifetime history is normal under "settings" menu. So, I guess I have a fully functioning automobile without any snags.

The videos that Ford have assembled at

https://owner.ford.c...l=Fusion Hybrid

are invaluable as they present visual information that is not always clear in the printed manual.

• GrySql likes this

210489.png

#13 OFFLINE   ddrapeau

ddrapeau

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Energi

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

I have a 2013 Energi with 6500 miles and this just happened to me last night.  One of the previous posts indicated that the tech "fixed" the issue by cycling the high beams lever off and on both in the flash mode and permanent on mode.  I tried that and behold it fixed the problem.  So no trip to the dealer.  This must be just some sort of computer quirk and the high beams fixes it somehow.

• acdii, GrySql and mbnewman like this

#14 OFFLINE   bpx02

bpx02

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

My turn signal (Left or Right) and lane change stopped working the first time after 11 months. The second time just happened (now 13 months old) and I got it to the Dealer as it was happening. Unfortunately, they did not get it to the mechanic, even though I told them he wanted to see it, until hours later. As you can guess, it did not fail.

Has anyone had this issue fixed?

#15 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:59 PM

The second time just happened (now 13 months old) and I got it to the Dealer as it was happening.

That would have been a perfect time to send a Vehicle Health Report.  If it happens again, pull over safely and send a VHF, then the error code may be saved for your Dealer to verify.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#16 OFFLINE   James Papacostas

James Papacostas

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid:  Same deal.  Car is 9 months old.  Windshield wipers, turn signals suddenly stopped working.   I turned on/off the high beams and presto: everything started working again!

Edited by James Papacostas, 01 April 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid:  Same deal.  Car is 9 months old.  Windshield wipers, turn signals suddenly stopped working.   I turned on/off the high beams and presto: everything started working again!

Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry for the problems too.

If your situation is repeatable (and even if it's not) your Ford Dealer is the place to start in troubleshooting this, use that Warranty.

BTW, nice Icon picture...

Edited by GrySql, 01 April 2015 - 09:14 PM.

The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#18 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Model T

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Welcome to the forum, James!

Glad to hear everything sorted itself out. Should these symptoms reappear, please let me know.

Meagan

#19 OFFLINE   Bambeano12

Bambeano12

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

Welcome to the forum, James!

Glad to hear everything sorted itself out. Should these symptoms reappear, please let me know.
Meagan

This problem is why I joined the forum. This has been going on for 5days. No turn signals, no steering wheel controls at all. The windshield wipers work fine. I already checked fuses.?

#20 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 231 posts
  • Current Vehicle:None
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

I found this in my files. Basically it needs a new Steering Column Control Module or just reprogramming it.

Print this out and show it to your dealer.

Good luck and post the results.

45012 2013-2015 Fusion/MKZ, 2015 MKC, 2015 Mustang - Steering Column Controls Inoperative With Possible U0212 - Built On Or Before 3/20/2015
Some 2013-2015 Fusion/MKZs, 2015 MKCs, or 2015 Mustangs may exhibit the steering column controls such as turn signals, radio controls, and low speed wipers being intermittently inoperative with a possible U0212 in multiple modules. First, correct any HS2 CAN network issues that may be present if various other HS2 CAN U-codes are present. If no network issue is present and the vehicle is built on or before 3/20/2015, reprogram the SCCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 94.04 and higher. Remove and reinstall fuse F13 if the SCCM will not communicate in order to accept the calibration update. Replace the SCCM if communication with the module can't be restored. Use applicable 12651D labor ops and causal part 3F791 for reflash only.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 25-MARCH-2015

• hybridbear, corncobs, Hybrider and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·