Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Climate Issues, 2013 FFH

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   neod192

neod192

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:'13 Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Also, I have extreme environmental allergies and I really like to be able to keep the recirculation on at all times, even when the fan is off, to prevent outside air from blowing in after I've filtered it with the AC.  The car doesn't seem to allow this, which is another annoyance with the climate system.  I can only activate recirculation when the fan is on.  

Saw this Ford news article and thought of you: New Ford Fusion Minimizes Pollen and ‘Touch’ Allergens

2013 Fusion Hybrid Titanium << -- click for the picture gallery

- Deep Impact Blue

- 18" Polished Face with Flash Greay-Painted Pockets Wheels

- Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener

- Driver Assist Package

- Voice-Activated Navigation

- Active Park Assist with Forward Sensing System

- Adaptive Cruise Control

Ordered: 11/19/12 | VIN Assigned: 2/28/13 | Build Date: 3/21/13 | ETA: 4/6/13 | Delivery Date: April 5th, 2013 !!!

196622.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Texas Ranger

Texas Ranger

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

, remove the right side kick panel, remove the glove box, remove another panel behind that and there is the filter.

Thanks.  My dealership was totally NOT helpful.

Did you get it changed?  I see an airbag under the glove  box and I don't want to get a mouthful if I touch it off.

Thanks lots.  Sincerely

#23 OFFLINE   gkinla

gkinla

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 339 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Fusion Energi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2016

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yep, add me to this list.  I never use Auto mode ordinarily, as I like to control how much airflow I have and where it comes from.  The fact that it does not remember the last setting and default to that is annoying.  

Also, I have extreme environmental allergies and I really like to be able to keep the recirculation on at all times, even when the fan is off, to prevent outside air from blowing in after I've filtered it with the AC.  The car doesn't seem to allow this, which is another annoyance with the climate system.  I can only activate recirculation when the fan is on.  

Every breath you and your passengers exhale is at 100% relative humidity. When you have air in recirculation mode at all times and the A/C on it will cause the evaporator coil to ice up and the cooling efficiency will deminish. This frozen water will also collect any particles, mold, pollen, etc. and keep them frozen until the system is shut off. When you come back to the car you will usually see a puddle of water under the car. This is the excess water that has unfrozen and dripped out of the collection pan, this also can happen during extreme humid days, even in pass through mode. In pass through mode the air is always filtered, I don't know if this is true in recirc mode on this Fusion. Now when you restart the car the system will probably have a slug of stuff intering the car and this might make your allergies worse, unless all the air is filtered in recirc. Some cars have a sewer smell when you first turn the A/C on, this I understand is from keeping the A/C in recurlation mode and never letting the system to dry out, mold forms and gives off this rotten odor.

#24 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Thanks.  My dealership was totally NOT helpful.
Did you get it changed?  I see an airbag under the glove  box and I don't want to get a mouthful if I touch it off.
Thanks lots.  Sincerely

I have not had it changed yet, my plan is to have it done when we're at the dealer for something else.
The intervals between changes will depend on that timing, but anytime after 10k miles per cabin air filter.
The Ford interval is 20k per filter but I'll probably do it more often.
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#25 OFFLINE   elle

elle

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid, Bordeaux Reserve

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

I had a steroid shot a couple of weeks ago to keep my allergies at bay, and I feel great, so problem solved (for now).  

• gkinla likes this

#26 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

If someone does this it would be nice to get a detailed step by step with pictures. Has Fram started making a filter for our cars yet? They often put video tutorials on their website which I have found to be perfectly accurate and very helpful in the past. I might tackle this project sometime this summer (at 15-20k miles) and I'll take lots of pictures if no one else has before then

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#27 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,784 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Every breath you and your passengers exhale is at 100% relative humidity. When you have air in recirculation mode at all times and the A/C on it will cause the evaporator coil to ice up and the cooling efficiency will deminish. This frozen water will also collect any particles, mold, pollen, etc. and keep them frozen until the system is shut off. When you come back to the car you will usually see a puddle of water under the car. This is the excess water that has unfrozen and dripped out of the collection pan, this also can happen during extreme humid days, even in pass through mode. In pass through mode the air is always filtered, I don't know if this is true in recirc mode on this Fusion. Now when you restart the car the system will probably have a slug of stuff intering the car and this might make your allergies worse, unless all the air is filtered in recirc. Some cars have a sewer smell when you first turn the A/C on, this I understand is from keeping the A/C in recurlation mode and never letting the system to dry out, mold forms and gives off this rotten odor.

I keep my 2010 FFH on recirc all the time in Florida and it never ices up. The evaporator is kept above freezing. That only happened in older cars when there was a problem in the system. There is always outside air coming in in recirc mode. Water dripping from most ACs is normal and not a sign that it has frozen. If you don't keep you cabin air filter intact and clean, dirt can get on the evaporator and because it's frequently wet be an environment for mold, etc.

• gkinla likes this

#28 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

I don't think this has been brought up yet, but has anyone else who does NOT have the MFT touch screen have issues with their display screen not correctly displaying climate info?

On our car if we have the climate control off when starting the car and then turn it on the climate control info doesn't display on the screen like it is supposed to. To get the temperature settings and the fan speed to display we must either 1) push the rear window defroster button or 2) push one of the heated seat buttons. This seems to be a programming glitch in the code controlling that screen. It doesn't matter if the radio is on or off, it does this. But no all the time. Rarely it will work correctly and display the climate info as soon as the system is turned on, but that is a rarity. I need to bring this up to the dealer but I doubt they'll be able to do anything. I asked last time to make sure they're checking for any software updates and they said they do automatically when putting my VIN in OASIS

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#29 OFFLINE   keithsm2

keithsm2

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 232 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi
  • Current Vehicle:2011 CTSV 2013 FFH

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

mine is starting to have a weird smell at startup from the vents........anyone else??  Im at close to 10K miles.........time for filter change already?

Fusion Hybrid Titanium,   Tri-Coat White

Navigation

Moon Roof

Ordered :  March 27th

Bought almost exact order off the lot April 27th

198807.png

112813.png

#30 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I had a weird smell in mine the other day, turned out my son needed a bath, He smelled awful. 

• GrayStrider, Sleddog and SteveB_TX like this
Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#31 OFFLINE   Gregavi

Gregavi

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 22 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

Has anyone else had issues with the Climate system on their 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid?  It likes to come on with the fan at full power, which irritates my husband to no end.

I hate to say, but that's a pretty trivial thing to "irritate to no end". I'm happy just to have A/C! I'm not really sure how mine behaves, but if it's too high I turn it down and if it's too low I turn it up.  :)

#32 OFFLINE   hindsight

hindsight

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 31 May 2014 - 01:09 PM

If you use the fan not on Auto, then you are losing control of the temperature setting, right?  Or is Auto only for fan speed and the temperature will be controlled by the system no matter if Auto or Not?  The manual says: "AUTO: Press the button to turn on fully automatic operation. Select the desired temperature using the temperature control. The system automatically adjusts fan speed, air distribution, A/C operation, and outside or recirculated air, to heat or cool the vehicle to maintain the selected temperature."  It is not clear to me what non-Auto operation does with all the variables, specially temperature control.

I adjust the terribly loud high fan speed by raising or lowering the temperature setting while it stays in Auto, but my partner takes it off the Auto setting and chooses the fan speed.  Would be nice if the fan noise was suppressed even at its highest speed...must be some way of doing noise cancellation via the audio system?  (Future $1000 extra option!)

276950.png

#33 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

The Auto mode controls fan speed, temperature, vent mode, recirc mode and A/C mode.  In full auto it will adjust all of them to get the best performance.  If you manually override any one of those controls (like the fan speed), it will still automatically control the other 4 as best it can to get you the results it thinks you want.

#34 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

Here's some goofy HVAC behavior: The Focus Electric will energize its electric heater even when the A/C is on if the cabin temp gets "too cold", and in a BEV this is a big issue because the heater eats so much range. See this blog post by a Focus Electric owner: http://goingev.blogs...ting-power.html

The FFH will also periodically blow hot air out of the vents with the HVAC set to Auto & the A/C on by circulating some hot coolant through the heater core. And larryh has commented that the Fusion Energi will energize the electric heater with the A/C on. I've also observed this in my parents' C-Max Energi.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#35 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:35 AM

What was the outside temp? Lot's of systems leave the AC on and mix it with heat when the overall command is for heat. This is to de-humidify. I think the 2010-12s leave the AC on into ambient temperatures in the 40's at least  I usually push it off then but frequently the windows start to fog so I turn the AC on again. If your system was calling for cold and added heat, I'll have to think about that one.

The ambient temp was around 80 F at the time.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#36 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

Even though the fan and compressor are variable speed, there might be a minimum speed for either that would produce too much cooling. I wouldn't expect warm air to come out of the vents  The mixing would occur earlier. Was it a transient event? In my 2010 in hot FL weather, when I drive into a heavy rain shower which would lower the ambient from 95 to 80 in a minute, the car sometimes blows warm air for a minute as if it overshoots in correcting for the new outside temp.

#37 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Even though the fan and compressor are variable speed, there might be a minimum speed for either that would produce too much cooling. I wouldn't expect warm air to come out of the vents  The mixing would occur earlier. Was it a transient event? In my 2010 in hot FL weather, when I drive into a heavy rain shower which would lower the ambient from 95 to 80 in a minute, the car sometimes blows warm air for a minute as if it overshoots in correcting for the new outside temp.

Not transient. Check out the experience described in the blog post linked above, if you didn't already. There are a lot of Focus Electric owners who have that same gripe with Ford's HVAC Auto control because in the BEV the electric heater comes on and steals range.

Edited by hybridbear, 02 June 2014 - 01:29 PM.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#38 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

The Fusion Energi turns on the electric heating element when the AC is on (and the AC light is illuminated).  The higher the temperature setting, the more likely the heater will be on.

If the temperature is set to LO, the heater does not come on.  If you raise the AC temperature setting past a threshold that I have yet to determine, the heating element turns on.  Then to turn it off again, you have to lower the AC temperature setting past a different threshold.  This is very inefficient.  You want to raise the temperature setting to reduce energy usage by the AC.  But instead, the heater comes on and consumes even more energy than had you left the setting at a lower temperature.  You need to monitor the energy usage of climate on the car's left display and choose a temperature setting that minimizes energy usage. 

It was 80 F outside.  The inside temperature was also 80 F.  As I varied the temperature setting, the AC power ranged from 0.5 kW to 0.8 kW.  The heating element power ranged from 0.0 to 1.2 kW.  During the 6.5 minutes I observed the power usage of the AC and heater, the AC used 0.06 kWh of energy and the heater used 0.07 kWh of energy.  The heater used more energy than the AC.  Why is the car wasting energy running the heating element when its hot out?

Edited by larryh, 02 June 2014 - 06:19 PM.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#39 OFFLINE   larryh

larryh

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 77 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Note the car is running both the AC and the heater at the same time.
  • hybridbear likes this

199291.png

Tracking MPGe--not MPG.

#40 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

I suspect this behavior when the ambient and interior temperatures are close is a solution to regulating the temperature better. They may not be able to run the AC at a low enough BTU rate in these circumstances. As the outside temperature increases, I would expect the heating to go to zero. These cars are tweaked for every iota of efficiency so I expect there is a reason for it. Too bad Ford is seldom forthcoming about their design philosophy.

• hybridbear likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·