GrayStrider

Climate Issues, 2013 FFH

Every breath you and your passengers exhale is at 100% relative humidity. When you have air in recirculation mode at all times and the A/C on it will cause the evaporator coil to ice up and the cooling efficiency will deminish. This frozen water will also collect any particles, mold, pollen, etc. and keep them frozen until the system is shut off. When you come back to the car you will usually see a puddle of water under the car. This is the excess water that has unfrozen and dripped out of the collection pan, this also can happen during extreme humid days, even in pass through mode. In pass through mode the air is always filtered, I don't know if this is true in recirc mode on this Fusion. Now when you restart the car the system will probably have a slug of stuff intering the car and this might make your allergies worse, unless all the air is filtered in recirc. Some cars have a sewer smell when you first turn the A/C on, this I understand is from keeping the A/C in recurlation mode and never letting the system to dry out, mold forms and gives off this rotten odor.

I keep my 2010 FFH on recirc all the time in Florida and it never ices up. The evaporator is kept above freezing. That only happened in older cars when there was a problem in the system. There is always outside air coming in in recirc mode. Water dripping from most ACs is normal and not a sign that it has frozen. If you don't keep you cabin air filter intact and clean, dirt can get on the evaporator and because it's frequently wet be an environment for mold, etc.

Has anyone else had issues with the Climate system on their 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid? It likes to come on with the fan at full power, which irritates my husband to no end.

I hate to say, but that's a pretty trivial thing to "irritate to no end". I'm happy just to have A/C! I'm not really sure how mine behaves, but if it's too high I turn it down and if it's too low I turn it up. :)

Even though the fan and compressor are variable speed, there might be a minimum speed for either that would produce too much cooling. I wouldn't expect warm air to come out of the vents The mixing would occur earlier. Was it a transient event? In my 2010 in hot FL weather, when I drive into a heavy rain shower which would lower the ambient from 95 to 80 in a minute, the car sometimes blows warm air for a minute as if it overshoots in correcting for the new outside temp.

The Fusion Energi turns on the electric heating element when the AC is on (and the AC light is illuminated). The higher the temperature setting, the more likely the heater will be on.

If the temperature is set to LO, the heater does not come on. If you raise the AC temperature setting past a threshold that I have yet to determine, the heating element turns on. Then to turn it off again, you have to lower the AC temperature setting past a different threshold. This is very inefficient. You want to raise the temperature setting to reduce energy usage by the AC. But instead, the heater comes on and consumes even more energy than had you left the setting at a lower temperature. You need to monitor the energy usage of climate on the car's left display and choose a temperature setting that minimizes energy usage.

It was 80 F outside. The inside temperature was also 80 F. As I varied the temperature setting, the AC power ranged from 0.5 kW to 0.8 kW. The heating element power ranged from 0.0 to 1.2 kW. During the 6.5 minutes I observed the power usage of the AC and heater, the AC used 0.06 kWh of energy and the heater used 0.07 kWh of energy. The heater used more energy than the AC. Why is the car wasting energy running the heating element when its hot out?

Edited by larryh

I suspect this behavior when the ambient and interior temperatures are close is a solution to regulating the temperature better. They may not be able to run the AC at a low enough BTU rate in these circumstances. As the outside temperature increases, I would expect the heating to go to zero. These cars are tweaked for every iota of efficiency so I expect there is a reason for it. Too bad Ford is seldom forthcoming about their design philosophy.

Somewhere I read that the Auto a/c has a humidity sensor. This would explain heat and cool at the same time to dehumidify. I'll try and find the source.