Fastronaut

Ford C-Max & Fusion Hybrid Gas Mileage Lawsuits Combined

Valid argument. One thing to note which makes me feel the EPA ratings on these are bogus, both the Cmax and Fusion have 47 across the board, yet the Coefficient of drag is higher on the Cmax than the Fusion. It is also higher than the Prius V, weighs more, and has more HP, so how can it get 5 MPG more than the Prius V? Is it because with a fully charged battery, and since the test is short, is it gamed to use the battery during the test to tweak the numbers? I really do believe Ford took advantage of the EPA testing and built the car around the test to get maximum MPG out of the test, but not in RW! If the car really could get 47 MPG, there would be many more people reporting numbers above and beyond the sticker. Great example would be the Prius V, its sticker is 42, and the real world so far is 42.5,

I believe in the EPA tests the dyno is supposedly setup to factor in the effects of air resistance in those cylces as speed increases & decreases

That is true, but its not a very long test. Wonder how they would do if the test ran several hundred miles.

Valid argument. One thing to note which makes me feel the EPA ratings on these are bogus, both the Cmax and Fusion have 47 across the board, yet the Coefficient of drag is higher on the Cmax than the Fusion. It is also higher than the Prius V, weighs more, and has more HP, so how can it get 5 MPG more than the Prius V? Is it because with a fully charged battery, and since the test is short, is it gamed to use the battery during the test to tweak the numbers? I really do believe Ford took advantage of the EPA testing and built the car around the test to get maximum MPG out of the test, but not in RW! If the car really could get 47 MPG, there would be many more people reporting numbers above and beyond the sticker. Great example would be the Prius V, its sticker is 42, and the real world so far is 42.5,

It's possible that Ford monkeyed with the battery SOC between tests, but I don't think that's likely.

More likely is that the 62 MPH EV mode top speed is specifically for the EPA test. Also, the ease at which the ICE shuts off, the Ford hybrids are very quick to turn off the ICE. Those are tricks that Ford used to make their cars excel at the EPA cycles. That's why the C-Max does 5 MPGs more than Prius V and why the FFH does 7 MPGs more than the TCH

I wished I got the kind of miles per gallon that some of you are getting. Mine only gets an average or 36 mpg. I am so disappointed. As for the car in general I should have bought an all gas model.

Yeesh! A reasonable person might conclude from past experience that Ford losing a class action law suit over mileage claims would result in somewhat worthless bragging rights for the plaintiffs and unreasonable monetary rewards for plaintiff's attorneys. That's if Ford loses.

Gas mileage is not static! There are too many variables involved. Personally, it is reasonable for the lieometer on my FFH to show readings of 39mpg to 54mpg for various excursions. Is it accurate? I don't know. To get an accurate for sure accounting, I'd need to record mileage and fuel purchased over an extended period of time from the same gas pump, auto-filling the tank, at the same time of day, when ambient temperature was the same...etc. This is something I'm not willing to do and it doesn't account for the different ways I drive a vehicle.

Check out Fuelly's bell curve for the Prius. They show almost 1956 data points that effectively range from 36mpg to 58mpg. I'm sure the folks reporting 58mpg are estatic. Those getting 36mpg not so much. Yes, if it were me I'd probably bitch loudly.

Once you calibrate the computer readings over several tankfuls, you can reliably apply that correction. My 2010 calculates mileage that's 4 % high but the odometer is 2 % low so the net is 2 % high or about 1 mpg. It hasn't changed. All the calculations come from the same data so they should all agree within about 1 mpg. The trip summary for shorter trips will vary a lot because of varying SOC, wind, temperature, etc. I can look at my speed, temperature, estimated headwinds and traffic and predict my instantaneous mpg within 2 mpg.

Im part of it for one reason only, to be heard! As many here already know, something is not right with the one I have, and Ford denies there is. When I can easily get high EPA in my 10, but cant even hit what my 10 gets? So for this one reason, I joined the CAL. When the other one is finally built and delivered, hoping that it works correctly like all you guys are seeing, I will be one happy puppy, but still PO about taking the loss on this current one.

If the outcome of this helps to get the EPA to have more realistic highway ratings, then it is a win for all.

"I should have bought an all gas model."

If you would've bought an all gas model, you'd be getting 26 average mpg, not 36.

26 would be right on target. 36 on epa estimated 47? Obviously it wasnt worth the premium he paid to get the hybrid. He could have used the money to buy more gas and still ended up as a better deal.

In PA you getting 45+ in 30f weather...you must be talking about a different car.

I'm in PA and am at 44.0 Lifetime and 46-53 depending on temperature on my daily commute.

In CR's testing, they got better mileage with the FFH than they did any other mid-size sedan, including the TCH. You can't take the sub-par performance of a few cars and apply it to all FFHs. That "one member" is Fynack. In his review of the FFH on Edmunds, the administrator wouldn't even allow the words he used in his title to be posted. He gave the FFH one out of five stars for Performance, Fun-To-Drive and Value. Who here would agree with that?

Not me!

"26 would be right on target. 36 on epa estimated 47? Obviously it wasnt worth the premium he paid to get the hybrid. He could have used the money to buy more gas and still ended up as a better deal."

10 more mpg is another 100 miles per 10 gallons used. For $3k extra for a hybrid, that's pretty good lifetime. And I got 36mpg on my first tank, last tank I got 45. He'll do better than 36.

A safety hazard to drive that way! Average is 39 and hypermiling gets 42 mpg but will eventually lead to an accident. Still way off of 47.

It was also a heck of a PCM update to adjust the manual calculation on the pump when I filled up, dang they are sneaky

funny just had the car in the dealership because my a/c wasnt working so they reflashed the APIM and applied the PCM recall and now my call is displaying 550 DTE before it would only say 450 DTE so i guess mine is working backwards

It was also a heck of a PCM update to adjust the manual calculation on the pump when I filled up, dang they are sneaky

Fuelly tells me that I'm getting about 2 MPG less than the car calculation.

Fuelly tells me that I'm getting about 2 MPG less than the car calculation.

Yep, me too... just like the 2010 FFH did, and the 2005 Prius before that.

The 2010 FFH odometers read 2.5% low so the net overstatement of mpg is 1 mog.

I only have 5,000 miles on my 2017 FFH that I bought in late January. Most of my driving is between 50 and 55 mph with the speed control and eco mode on. For the first few months I got mid 40's mpg, with warmer spring weather, that improved to near 50 mpg. Most of my driving has small hills and shallow creek valleys, and I use the speed control to roll up to the speed limit through valleys and reduce the speed a few mph depending upon how steep the uphill gets.

Well the only way I could get better mileage was to use non-ethanol gasoline. It's more expensive but here in Oregon the ethanol gas is terrible for gas mileage. ????? Wonder why the feds make us use it????? I went from 38 mpg/tank to 42-46 depending on the weather. Hybrids don't like cold wet weather and that's what we get in Oregon a lot. It did take me until 10,000 miles to really start working properly even with the non-ethanol gas.

????? Wonder why the feds make us use it?????

Iowa corn farmers. They have a very powerful influence on congress.

I wonder if I should jump on this bandwagon. I have fuel receipt records for mu '15 HyTi covering April '15 to Aug '16 when I traded it. That car far exceeds the performance of the current one - by several MPG ... and actually was hitting the EPA MPG. I'm struggling to get even 40 on the current one (Aug '16 to present). No change in driving areas, traffic or even technique.

They dinked with the way hybrid and electric drives function and how/when ICE runs. Stinks. Might haave something to do with the stop & go feature as the '15 did not have that on the ACC (wasn't available then).

I wonder if I should jump on this bandwagon. I have fuel receipt records for mu '15 HyTi covering April '15 to Aug '16 when I traded it. That car far exceeds the performance of the current one - by several MPG ... and actually was hitting the EPA MPG. I'm struggling to get even 40 on the current one (Aug '16 to present). No change in driving areas, traffic or even technique.

They dinked with the way hybrid and electric drives function and how/when ICE runs. Stinks. Might haave something to do with the stop & go feature as the '15 did not have that on the ACC (wasn't available then).

Do you have the Michelin's on your new FFH? That could make a few mpg's difference.

Paul

Do you have the Michelin's on your new FFH? That could make a few mpg's difference.

Paul

The OEM Michelins are on the car currently and even though the car computer is climbing some, it has yet to hit 40. . They are my non-Winter set. With OEM rims and Goodyear WRT ICE snow tires (my Winter setup) I'm lucky to get 34 MPG on the current car ... yet I was able to maintain mid-30s with the '15. That's why I think the stop&go feature has somehow caused the MPG to drop.

Last 3 tanks by receipt - were 38.75, 34.30 and 37.60 MPG. The 34.30 was an 8.9 gallon fill whereas the others were 10.9 or better.

ADDED IN: Car just had the 30K servicing done. The '15 had 38600+ on it when I traded that so this car is running about the same monthly mileage my prior FFH was.

Edited by Cobra348