Sign in to follow this  
Riggo

For you Virginia hybrid owners

Several states are trying to do this. The per gallon fixed tax to a percentage tax will increase the cost per gallon exponentially. Il does that already. The Hybrid fee is outrageous.

Hybrid car owners and climate advocates joined State Sen. Adam Ebbin (D) on Monday as the lawmaker announced an effort to repeal the state’s new hybrid and electric vehicle tax.

Ebbin and Del. Scott Surovell (D-Mt. Vernon) both plan to introduce bills to get rid of the tax during the 2014 legislative session.

“Hybrids already pay gas taxes and the mileage of both hybrids and non-hybrids vary significantly,” said Ebbin. “There are gasoline-only autos that get better mileage than some hybrids, and some hybrids, including SUVs, that do not get mileage as good as many gas-only powered cars. The punitive annual hybrid tax was not well thought out and hastily passed.”

Well the above statements are true, we didn't get the $100 annual fee removed, however got it reduced to $64 annually - for which I just paid to renew my registration for another year. Couldn't renew for 2 years as I will need an emissions test done on my hybrid (that's another subject) before I can renew again. I will be paying it twice next year when I renew for both cars.

I'm still saving a lot of money in gas but this is still so contradictory when the feds are giving incentives for these type vehicles (in the way of tax breaks) and the states (mine and some others) are giving punishment for these type vehicles (in the way of tax hikes).

HB975 & SB127:Hybrid electric motor vehicles; repeals annual license tax.

Annual license tax on hybrid electric motor vehicles. Repeals the $64 annual license tax on hybrid electric motor vehicles that was first imposed beginning July 1, 2013. The bill also provides for refunds of the license tax paid on hybrid electric motor vehicles for registration years beginning on or after July 1, 2014.

01/23/14 House: VOTE: PASSAGE (89-Y 9-N)

02/13/14 Senate: Passed Senate (37-Y 1-N)

02/17/14 House: Bill text as passed House and Senate (HB975ER)

Good - I'll be looking in my mailbox in July for $64 refund x 2