elle

MPG Happy Talk

How quickly does your slow when you let off the gas? I should video mine and compare.

I am doing exactly the opposite when I go downhill. In my commute, I have this long downhill. First, I tried to coast and use EV as much as possible. But the drains my battery when I get to the bottom of the hill where it flattens out and I can't cruise in EV. So now, I crest the hill, going about 65 so that the car doesn't go into EV mode. I tip the throttle ever so gently at the top of the hill so that the instant MPG shows 60+ and the battery is charging. i slowly accelerate going downhill and end up going little over 70mph at the bottom. I have almost full battery at that point to cruise in EV mode. This way, I don't have to stress about my car slowing when going downhill. I only use very little, if any, gas going downhill, charge my battery and go fast enough to keep up with the traffic. One thing I noticed is that I can cruise in EV at 64MPH if the battery is full / almost full when the road is flat or slightly downhill.

Thats pretty much the same thing I try to do, as long as no one is in front of me. Waste energy going uphill by bleeding it of with as little throttle as possible to stay on ICE, then gather speed going downhill which puts more juice in the pack yet gets high MPG returns, then I can cruise with very little throttle, staying on ICE with the instant showing 50+. Have to stay above 63 to do this though, otherwise it will insist on being in EV.

37°. 35 mph. Includes 1.5 mile warmup. I dont really understand the trip computers math methods because youd think if i did 13 miles on .2 gallons, I'd be doing 65 miles on a full gallon. How does it figure? And yes, I drove 35 mph in a 55 zone the whole way. attachicon.gifIMG_20130309_030033.jpg

The display 0.2 is a rounded figure. The 2010-12s show it in hundredths of a gallon. The calculation is to more decimal places.

Today was a new best MPG commute, had to stop a little short of home as my DTE was at zero 12 miles prior, knew today would be close... squeezed in 12.0 gallons so I guess it wasn't as close as the display says, I guess the buffer capacity is 1.5 gallons or so, at least with my car.

So anyway the morning commute was 44.6, steady rain put a slight damper on things and also had an accident that blocked 2 of 3 lanes for a bit and that was enough to jack up the commute. Caused a few more ICE cycles while the HVB level stayed around 30% or so... then would trickle down again and the ICE cycled yet again. The commute from the prior morning was 48.0 so this was a slight reduction but not too bad.

Anyway, it was payback time for the afternoon commute - temp was mid 60s and no more rain, and had a couple of the 'good' traffic jams that only slow things down temporarily and allow more EV use while creeping along, those help with MPG.

Trip_56_5_20130312_zpsd0fa9bf3.jpg