Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

MPG Happy Talk

• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I think it is part of the adaptive cruise package.  Here's a brochure on it:  http://media.ford.co...tive_Cruise.pdf

There's a collision warning system that will alarm when you get too close to the car in front of you that has slowed down suddenly.  It will also go off if the car in front of you slows to make a right turn and you stay close to get around it.  I've had it go off a couple of times.  

So, from reading that info, it sounds like drafting could still be dangerous because if the semi slammed on the brakes, even with the warning and this system there's still the potential to hit the truck

Thanks for te info elle. I would have loved to get that option over the moonroof that I have.

It would have been a nice feature to have, but I believe it required getting MFT which we didn't want. When we test drove a C-Max with MFT and a Fusion with the conventional buttons we decided that we just wanted the conventional buttons. Mainly because we did not want a back up camera. We both found it to be distracting and hard to use. So to get ACC we would have been required to spend $900 for MFT which we didn't want and then another $2k or something like that for the Tech Pkg with BLIS and ACC...oh well, maybe on our next car in 10 years...

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   elle

elle

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid, Bordeaux Reserve

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

So, from reading that info, it sounds like drafting could still be dangerous because if the semi slammed on the brakes, even with the warning and this system there's still the potential to hit the truck

Yes, it's just a warning.  The ACC gives you all sorts of disclaimers and warnings in the manual about continuing to remain attentive, because it will shut off if your speed goes below a certain point, and the system expects you to be there to take over!  

#43 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Drafting is dangerous, and a friend of mine who is a semi driver says that the semi drivers don't like it because they're 1) worried about you running into them and 2) if they're carrying expensive cargo they might be worried that you're part of a plan to attack and steal their cargo.

I couldn't agree more. Drafting is just plain stupid in my mind. it goes against everything you are taught in defensive driving. A few pennies saved Is not worth risking my life or that of my loved ones.
  • B25Nut and elle like this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#44 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

The ACC will apply brakes and alert you to collision, and pump up the brake pressure so when you apply the brakes, the force is greater for a panic stop than if you just slam them on normally.   What I found that works well is setting the bars to 3 on ACC, and follow a flat bed. It keeps you at the recommended 2 second mark, yet still provides just enough slipstream to draft from.

In regards to drafting, you do not need to be right on the back end of a truck to benefit from it, if you ever notice, when behind a truck, there is a buffet zone, it is usually about 2.5 seconds behind, when you get to 1.75 to 2 seconds behind, it disappears, and you are right in the zone.  Flat beds work the best because the air flow is linear off the back, and not turbulent like off a box.  These are where I got the best MPG out of any car.  Using ACC set at the right distance keeps you in that zone yet far enough back in the even of the truck slamming on his brakes.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#45 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I couldn't agree more. Drafting is just plain stupid in my mind. it goes against everything you are taught in defensive driving. A few pennies saved Is not worth risking my life or that of my loved ones.

That and the cost of a ticket.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#46 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 807 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Drafting: you will never see me traveling the same speed as trucks.
  • fusionTX likes this

#47 OFFLINE   Code_Warrior

Code_Warrior

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

I have owned many cars since the EPA started requiring MPG estimates.
I find it ironic that I have never achieved the published numbers until this car.
The reason has to be that I am getting real-time feedback on how economical I am driving. That plus I don't live in a cold place. It may all go to pot when the A/C season is here.
  • hybridbear likes this
183087.png

#48 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I have owned many cars since the EPA started requiring MPG estimates.
I find it ironic that I have never achieved the published numbers until this car.
The reason has to be that I am getting real-time feedback on how economical I am driving. That plus I don't live in a cold place. It may all go to pot when the A/C season is here.

Glad to hear that you're getting such good gas mileage. Hopefully the A/C demands won't be so high as to lower the gas mileage too much. And the ruby red color is very nice. We almost decided to spend the extra money to get that color

Edited by hybridbear, 25 February 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#49 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Here is a very balanced article about the fuel economy in the Ford Hybrids

http://blogs.wsj.com...oogle_news_blog

• ace8726872 likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#50 OFFLINE   Code_Warrior

Code_Warrior

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 30 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Glad to hear that you're getting such good gas mileage. Hopefully the A/C demands won't be so high as to lower the gas mileage too much. And the ruby red color is very nice. We almost decided to spend the extra money to get that color

I got the 'poor mans' model. Just a base car with only two options: Outrageously expensive floor mats and the red paint. I bought it off the dealers lot. If I had ordered it, I would probably not have paid the extra for the red paint. But every comment I get about the car is about the great paint job.

I am getting fond of the Sirius satellite radio. Hope I can get a good price when it expires. I also love that I put all my favorite music on a USB memory stick and shuffle play it. The Sync hands off Bluetooth phone support works pretty good also. This base model car has a lot of good features included.
183087.png

#51 OFFLINE   terryb

terryb

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 430 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 fusion hybrid

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

Started a 1000mi drive to FL today.  Got up to 42 running at 70, but only 38 at 62.  My guess is the shutter aero is kicking in higher than I'd expected.  Else I'm confused?

Delivered 1/2/13
Ice Storm 2 / Moon Roof / Navi w MFT / Driver Assist / Luxury Pkg.
505A / leather Dune / rear view camera / park assist
Adaptive Cruise / remote Start / luxury wheels

171254.png

233484.png

#52 OFFLINE   fusionTX

fusionTX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Started a 1000mi drive to FL today.  Got up to 42 running at 70, but only 38 at 62.  My guess is the shutter aero is kicking in higher than I'd expected.  Else I'm confused?

Where in Fl are you headed? That's pretty good MPGs. Keep us posted.
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium[list]
[*]Sterling Gray, Navigation, Driver Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control
[*]Navigation, Driver Assist, Park Assist, Moonroof, Trunk Cargo Net

#53 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Wow thats really good at 70!  Usually its the other way around. 

Posted Image

#54 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

I think having the car sit on the dealers lot with the 2013 sticker on the window skeered it!  I got 39.3 MPG this morning. Yesterday it was about 37.5 combined. At least 4 MPG better than it has been. Still not as high as it should be, but still better than it was!

• HenryVIII likes this

Posted Image

#55 OFFLINE   KingJL

KingJL

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 34 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH SE 'Ice Storm'

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Have you ever seen what happens when a truck "throws a tread" (happens frequently) and someone is drafting? It aint pretty... And 2 seconds does not help! That pretty front end of the FFH aint going to be pretty no more!
Note: The poor grammer is intentional.

Edited by KingJL, 28 February 2013 - 09:05 AM.

2013 FFH SE "Ice Storm"
2008 F350 XLT PS DRW

#56 OFFLINE   JSKershaw

JSKershaw

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 136 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

So I haven't had this car for a week yet.  And today the temperature was a bit milder than it has been lately (1*C or 34*F).  I had the heater on at the start, but then turned it off because it was getting too warm.  I drove about 63KM (39M) to work this morning and got 5.1L/100km (46MPG).  I'm really starting to get the hang of driving this car.  After seeing that number this morning once I shut the car off I knew I won't have any issues achieving the EPA numbers.  One thing I'm not sure about achieving is the EnerGuide ratings here in Canada.  The estimates here are 4.0L/100km city (59MPG) and 4.1/100km Hwy (57MPG).  Anyways we will see once Spring is here.

• hybridbear likes this

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid - Ruby Red

• 505A Engine Group
  • 18" Premium Wheels
  • SE Technology Package
  • SE Luxury Driver Assist Package
  • Voice-Activated Navigation
  • Active Park Assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Moonroof

Ordered: August 18, 2012
Built: October 19, 2012
ETA: February 21, 2013

Delivery: February 23, 2013 

168178.png

#57 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

So I haven't had this car for a week yet.  And today the temperature was a bit milder than it has been lately (1*C or 34*F).  I had the heater on at the start, but then turned it off because it was getting too warm.  I drove about 63KM (39M) to work this morning and got 5.1L/100km (46MPG).  I'm really starting to get the hang of driving this car.  After seeing that number this morning once I shut the car off I knew I won't have any issues achieving the EPA numbers.  One thing I'm not sure about achieving is the EnerGuide ratings here in Canada.  The estimates here are 4.0L/100km city (59MPG) and 4.1/100km Hwy (57MPG).  Anyways we will see once Spring is here.

Looking at your signature yours sure took a long time to arrive. Why did it take until February for delivery of a car that was built in October?

Glad you're getting such good mileage up north in Canada (even though you are actually south of Minneapolis lol)

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#58 OFFLINE   JSKershaw

JSKershaw

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 136 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

Looking at your signature yours sure took a long time to arrive. Why did it take until February for delivery of a car that was built in October?

Glad you're getting such good mileage up north in Canada (even though you are actually south of Minneapolis lol)

My car was on Vacation in Mexico for 3.5 months! LOL

On a serious note, it was stuck in TBD land, and still to this day we don't know why my car was held up since Oct.  Speculation is that it had something to do with the stop ship problem to sort out the 1.6L engine recall.  Mine was placed in the back of the pack.  To this day, I think there's still some people stuck in TBD hell back on the Blue Oval Forums.  I see that some people think that earlier builds have issues with mileage.  Clearly that can't be the reason since mine was built in October and achieving decent fuel economy.  My window sticker shows that my Hybrid was #181 off the assembly line.  Kinda glad I wasn't #1... lol

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid - Ruby Red

• 505A Engine Group
  • 18" Premium Wheels
  • SE Technology Package
  • SE Luxury Driver Assist Package
  • Voice-Activated Navigation
  • Active Park Assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Moonroof

Ordered: August 18, 2012
Built: October 19, 2012
ETA: February 21, 2013

Delivery: February 23, 2013 

168178.png

#59 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

My car was on Vacation in Mexico for 3.5 months! LOL

On a serious note, it was stuck in TBD land, and still to this day we don't know why my car was held up since Oct.  Speculation is that it had something to do with the stop ship problem to sort out the 1.6L engine recall.  Mine was placed in the back of the pack.  To this day, I think there's still some people stuck in TBD hell back on the Blue Oval Forums.  I see that some people think that earlier builds have issues with mileage.  Clearly that can't be the reason since mine was built in October and achieving decent fuel economy.  My window sticker shows that my Hybrid was #181 off the assembly line.  Kinda glad I wasn't #1... lol

I believe all the users on here with mileage issues (Fynack, acdii & nmadole) to name a few all have cars that were built the same week. I don't recall exactly when their cars were built, but I believe they were built in late October or early November. We test drove the first FFH in MN back in October and got 46.5 MPG in about 100 miles of driving. That car was built 9/27/12 according to ETIS

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#60 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

last week of October, Mine is 11-1-12, Nick is 10-31-12. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·