elle

MPG Happy Talk

Started a 1000mi drive to FL today. Got up to 42 running at 70, but only 38 at 62. My guess is the shutter aero is kicking in higher than I'd expected. Else I'm confused?

Wow thats really good at 70! Usually its the other way around.

I think having the car sit on the dealers lot with the 2013 sticker on the window skeered it! I got 39.3 MPG this morning. Yesterday it was about 37.5 combined. At least 4 MPG better than it has been. Still not as high as it should be, but still better than it was!

Light steerer you are. :) Mine yells at me too if I relax my hands on the wheel.

Here is some happy news!!!

48139_514673358574803_1469733665_n.jpg

155941_514673275241478_16270476_n.jpg

I discovered that if I keep the battery at 75% or higher and stay on ICE, I get much better gas mileage than if I use EV+ICE. Drawback is I need to stay at or above 60 MPH and doing that in traffic has been quite difficult. This is a 10 MPG improvement and what I was expecting to see when I bought the car. Now I dont know for a fact if blocking the grills with Lexan has anything to do with this, but the car is maintaining 181* now, and warms up quicker. I do know that it made ZERO difference when driven the P&G way.

Poor thing is all dirty and crusty now from the snow. :( I can't wait until Spring when I can give it a good washing, clay bar and the first 2 coats of Zaino and watch it glisten. I got the Husky mats in yesterday, and going to get the windows tinted this spring, get the rear spoiler ordered, that will be 2 that will need painting. I bought one for my 2010 last year and have yet to take it out of the box and get painted, and since my father in law owns a body shop, you would think I would have done it by now!

What is clay bar? I've heard it mentioned here and there but don't have much experience with it...

I didn't realize how badly my wife's 2010 Edge needed a clay bar until I viewed the below video and then ran my hand across the just-washed hood and felt how it was like fine sandpaper... after the claying, the hood was smooth as a baby's butt.

ps - I ordered some from their web site for whatever price was on there, then a few days later saw that it was on the shelf at Walmart (among several other Maguiars products) for about 5 bucks cheaper for the same package.

Edited by jeff_h

The meguires is what I use too. For touch ups, but for my initial clay I use a mixture of Dawn and water in a spray bottle to remove all wax and oil, then hit it with the polish. Once that is done, every so often I just run over it with the Meguires and bar. Silky smooth finish.

Slightly better today, used a little more EV, but kept the pack above 50%. Took my usual route which is 4.5 miles shorter. Had two fast lights that didn't let me get a full regen :(

482405_515713441804128_105158829_n.jpg

Slightly better today, used a little more EV, but kept the pack above 50%. Took my usual route which is 4.5 miles shorter. Had two fast lights that didn't let me get a full regen :(

What was the temp outside? Does your car stay in a garage at night so it might be slightly warmer than the outside, or outside where it's then starting out stone cold?

What was the temp outside? Does your car stay in a garage at night so it might be slightly warmer than the outside, or outside where it's then starting out stone cold?

25*, and it is in a garage, but the engine temps are still stone cold. When I start the car it shows in the 30's. My garage is only a weather protector, one door is left partially open so cats can get in and out(my mother does this!) so its just as cold inside as it is outside. Next week it should be in the 40's so should be interesting to see where the temps go, or if they stay the same.