elle

MPG Happy Talk

Shouldn't you be outside, wiping down the dash?

eh, too cold outside, my dustcloth is frozen to the bucket. :worship:

I think I might even live longer because of my FFH.

Well let's hope so, but drafting behind the big trucks may not be such a good idea... I used to do it, figured I could always stop much sooner than they could once I saw brakes go on, but still had some close calls and their rear ends would always fare better than my front end and it would be my fault, so no more of that. And that part aside, they also tend to kick up more rocks than cars and lead to dings on your car or rock chips on your windshield. I had to replace the windshield twice on my 2010 thanks to rocks being kicked up on the interstate, and that was with trying to keep back further, but the rocks tend to come out of nowhere!

The ACC will apply brakes and alert you to collision, and pump up the brake pressure so when you apply the brakes, the force is greater for a panic stop than if you just slam them on normally. What I found that works well is setting the bars to 3 on ACC, and follow a flat bed. It keeps you at the recommended 2 second mark, yet still provides just enough slipstream to draft from.

In regards to drafting, you do not need to be right on the back end of a truck to benefit from it, if you ever notice, when behind a truck, there is a buffet zone, it is usually about 2.5 seconds behind, when you get to 1.75 to 2 seconds behind, it disappears, and you are right in the zone. Flat beds work the best because the air flow is linear off the back, and not turbulent like off a box. These are where I got the best MPG out of any car. Using ACC set at the right distance keeps you in that zone yet far enough back in the even of the truck slamming on his brakes.