elle

MPG Happy Talk

Driving like an ass I am still seeing 45 MPG. Of course this is with near bald tires. :)

Clicked up to 52.7 the other day. I'm hoping to hit 53 by the end of the year....

Nice goal to have! My goal will be to keep the 44 standing over the winter.

Good luck !

I just hit my best fill-up to date - 52mpg! Prior to today, 48mpg was the best I could do. I couldn't post a picture because my dash computer showed an incorrect amount. This is from the feully update:

ScreenShot2014-10-25at94612PM_zpsb6dc5c4

Edited by djminfll

Perfect Weather for MPGs now.

Shooting for my first 50 MPG and 800 Mile Tank.

Good luck. Let us know if you're successful.

Perfect Weather for MPGs now.

Shooting for my first 50 MPG and 800 Mile Tank.

Darn good show! Your car does have a 17.5 gal gas tank so you might make your 800 miles.

When traffic sucks the FFH shines like the evening star.

After staying downtown the last two nights I commuted for the last day of the trade show.

It took me 2 hrs each way for around 58 miles right thru rush hour traffic.

In the morning I got 50.8 with heat on and 52.8 on the return with heat off.

With long stretches of stop and go or slow moving traffic the FFH is a great car to be in. You just can't play the how fast can you close the gap game which is very relaxing if you don't.

The energy required to move vehicles goes up as at least the square of the speed; four times the energy to go 60mph as 30mph. Conventional cars mileage peaked around 30-40 mph as the ICE became inefficient below those speeds and the lower speed effect vanished. Hybrids pretty much solve that problem. If you aren't eager to "close the gap" in traffic as mentioned above, your mpg soars above 60 mpg.

It's been mentioned a lot about how changing your driving habits to suit a hybrid is a very relaxing change. I still get a little annoyed when somebody scoots around me to stop in front of me at the next light but I'm coping better. There's a poster on CleanMPG.com named "RightLaneCruiser" that personifies this change of driving habits.

... There's a poster on CleanMPG.com named "RightLaneCruiser" that personifies this change of driving habits.

I went there looking for a "poster" that maybe I could hang on my wall, or at least download a thumbnail .jpg of it. And then I snapped that the "RightLaneCruiser" had no spaces in it and it hit me that it was someone's handle whom "posts" comments on that site. :doh:

They still have lots of interesting material to re-read through again there though.

Edited by Hybrider

When traffic sucks the FFH shines like the evening star.

After staying downtown the last two nights I commuted for the last day of the trade show.

It took me 2 hrs each way for around 58 miles right thru rush hour traffic.

In the morning I got 50.8 with heat on and 52.8 on the return with heat off.

With long stretches of stop and go or slow moving traffic the FFH is a great car to be in. You just can't play the how fast can you close the gap game which is very relaxing if you don't.

I have stopped moving forward just because everyone else is. More relaxing way to drive, and safer too.

Working on a 56.5 tank average right now. Life time is now up to 52.8.

Awesome! 52 point anything has got to be on the far right of the bell curve. My lifetime average recently hit 51.8, but I'm afraid it might not climb any higher this year, as my current tank is looking to come out to maybe 53 if I'm lucky. 52+ seems to be a realistic possibility by fall 2015...

Man, those are good numbers. I am happy with mine since it falls right in where I estimated it. I expected the peak for my daily drives to be right around 43 MPG, and that is right where it is.

I transferred about a month ago to a different office, this one is located in Miami just west of the airport. Thanks to driving a Hybrid, I do get to drive by myself in the carpool lanes, and I drive the Express lanes for free, which usually charges a variable toll based on traffic volume, anywhere from $3.50 all the way up to $11. But even with this benefit, there is still traffic going to Miami. In the month I've been driving every day, I usually average about 45-50mph, and my mileage to and from work has climbed up to 49-52mpg. My last 10 fill-ups averaged almost 46mpg, with a high of 52mpg, tankfuls of 49mpg, 47mpg, and 45mpg. So I agree that driving at these reduced speeds definitely contributes to improved fuel economy.

:bliss: Brisk temperatures (50° - 75°) and long commutes (~25 miles) via city streets sure do bump up my FFH MPGs. :rating:

What FFHs can accomplish repeatedly

Edited by Hybrider

I wasn't able to achieve a 50 MPG tank yet, but my last 2 were 49.1 and 47.8. Not complaining though. Tried a few different techniques on my last tank that didn't really provide good results and now things are getting a little bit colder in the mornings making for longer warm up times. Still going for the 800 Mile and 50 MPG tank though, traffic is increasing which mostly helps with MPG here.

post-12215-0-74998500-1418230240_thumb.jpg

I just recently moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to the Houston area. Going from hilly to flat changed my average MPG from 35 to 40.

in winter now with grille blocking installed and getting the hang of vehicle (usually get 98% or better braking per trip) running most of my 43 mile mixed highway city commute with eco cruise I can say I'm happy with ~43mpg ~10F temps and ~39mpg at sub 0F temps

I am looking forward to driving in warmer weather and really seeing what i can get!

(its also very nice to literally use half as much gas as my previous vehicle)

Significantly broke my personal commute record this morning, with 70.7 MPG for the ~26 mile trip. It was on city streets and the temperature was about 55°. There was a slight decline in elevation involved, but even with my return commute home, going back up in elevation, being at a paltry 49 MPG ;) , my average for the 50 mile commute for the day is at a hefty 60 MPG!! :skateboard:

My Record for >10 Mile Trip

Edited by Hybrider

Impressive Hybrider! That would be a great commute to have. Mine is around that distance at 27 each way but 23+ mi of it is freeway. My best is 59.8 one way and 45.9 the other with a 600 ft elevation difference.

Significantly broke my personal commute record this morning, with 70.7 MPG for the ~26 mile trip. It was on city streets and the temperature was about 55°. There was a slight decline in elevation involved, but even with my return commute home, going back up in elevation, being at a paltry 49 MPG ;) , my average for the 50 mile commute for the day is at a hefty 60 MPG!! :skateboard:

Excellent!! Your dashboard average will soar with regular trips like that!

I would like, however, to correct a fallacy in your calculated average. You can't simply take MPG figures for different trips, and divide by the number of trips to get an "average."

Assuming your return trip was exactly the same length, while you used .36 gallons in the morning, you probably used around .52 gallons in your 49 MPG return trip. That equals approximately .88 gallons for the day to travel 51.4 miles - 51.4/.88 = 58.4 MPGs for the day, which is still QUITE FANTASTIC! Congrats. :)

Just wondering what has happened to Ellie who started this mega page topic? Miss her occasional inputs.

By the way, I am still very happy with my lifetime mpg after just over 36,000 miles. Car reports 47.7 while actual calculated is 45.5