Toz

Active Park Assist

I had it in my Flex, and the one time I had to actually park, I used it, and it worked like a charm.

Others have commented that they find that the front sensors are too sensitive and that they beep "false alarms". I haven't found this to be true yet. I find that they're super useful when pulling in to or backing out from parking spaces to be able to get really close to cars alongside without concern about hitting them. It's also useful pulling into parking spaces to get close to the wall or the car in front without concern about misjudging the distance. I've found that they also pick up curbs and have protected me from running over a curb. Active Park Assist was one of the features that I didn't really place a lot of value on before when we were considering this white FFH, but now that we have it I'm really glad that we do!!

I agree. Someone else mentioned their front sensors didn't pickup a recycling bin in front of them, but mine normally pick up the cement parking "logs" and save my bumper. I didn't realize the front sensors came with APA, I just assumed they came along for the ride with the rear ones. Now I'm really happy I have APA.

I agree. Someone else mentioned their front sensors didn't pickup a recycling bin in front of them, but mine normally pick up the cement parking "logs" and save my bumper. I didn't realize the front sensors came with APA, I just assumed they came along for the ride with the rear ones. Now I'm really happy I have APA.

I wonder if they are mounted differently on the MKZ vs. the Fusion. Are you talking about the curbs that are about 6 inches tall in the front of parking spots? Mine don't appear to pick anything up that low. As for the recycle bin, it's possible that the sensors detected it but since there is no visual indicator of where the object is being detected (which other cars with front parking sensors I have seen use), there's no way to know if it's something the corner is seeing or the front is seeing.

I wonder if they are mounted differently on the MKZ vs. the Fusion. Are you talking about the curbs that are about 6 inches tall in the front of parking spots? Mine don't appear to pick anything up that low. As for the recycle bin, it's possible that the sensors detected it but since there is no visual indicator of where the object is being detected (which other cars with front parking sensors I have seen use), there's no way to know if it's something the corner is seeing or the front is seeing.

Yeah, the ones that are just high enough to scratch the bottom of the bumper. Today I parked in front of a wooden log that must've been slightly lower because it didn't detect that (though it was low enough that the bumper cleared it without scratching). Maybe they are mounted different? Or maybe when I thought it was detecting the cement one there was something taller in front of it?

The salesman demonstrated the feature on a test driver. I like it. I just have no need for it and have never used it. I don't even know if mine works! I guess I could park our other two cars in the street and give it a test. LOL ;)

Edited by SteveB_TX

My Flex has it, but no front sensors, so not sure how it works, but the 2010 Flex I had did have it too and i used it once. I havent parallel parked since.

I have it and like it. It's not a "must have feature" but definitely makes life a little easier. I do wish that the button were located in another position as passengers (especially while holding items) tend to unintentionally press the button.

What could turn this technology into a "must have feature" is "auto backup" that would back the car out from a parking spot with practically no effort. All the driver needs to do is select which way she/he wants the car pointing when the car is ready to go forward.

When combined with APA, this feature would cause serious excitement for buyers, IMHO.

Edited by KLH