Energi is a viable solution, but expect to pay up to 45K for it. With the plug in you have up to 21 miles in the Cmax/Fusion before it switches to ICE. You can also tell the car when to use the EV mode, so if you live on a rural road that is 55 MPH, like me, you can leave the house on ICE and reserve the EV for when you get to city driving. If the Energi wasn't so expensive, I would have given it a higher consideration as it is good for my daily driving, Hybrid on the highway, electric in the city.

If you combine your trips into one, and go to the furthest location first so the car can warm up, then the MPG will be higher than if you just did a bunch of short trips spread out. You have to put at least 5 miles on before EV starts working in cold weather, but in warm weather, then you will see decent MPG on short trips.

Or you can do like some do around retirement communities, get a golf cart! :) J/K

However, I found that a Focus gets good MPG up around 30 even on short trips, and longer can get past 33. If the Focus were able to accommodate our needs I would have one of those instead, but its just too small.

Since you live in a warm state, you probably will see good mileage all the time, only when its 40 and below does the ICE kick in to get warmed up before EV will happen.

If you like airplanes, the FFH is a high tech toy that you won't soon tire of. It is also an elegant design when you learn how it works. You'll be able to coax good mileage out of it even on short trips in moderate temperatures and slower town roads. Get the moon roof if you need to let the heat out in the summertime. They do well at higher elevations also. You'll need a safety driver if you want to drive it on instruments.

rjent, I think you will appreciate this. My friend owns a B17-E we are working on restoring to flying condition. We are also RC pilots, and it is true, much harder to fly a model than the real thing, spatial awareness, depth of vision, speed are all irrelevant when flying a model plane, but the thrill of taking off, flying around and landing a plane you built with your own hands from a box of sticks is such a thrill. I started with a foam plane with an 18" wingspan, and now have a dozen either flying or in the works. My biggest is an Extra 330L with 104" wing span and twin cylinder 100CC DA gas engine.

You can check out our plane at http://www.facebook.com/12595DesertRat

A few of my planes

181181_493196190722520_1279038387_n.jpg

And my big one.

14811_490519400990199_938461468_n.jpg

The one in the foam carrier is a Kadet LT40, my favorite plane to fly. It is a kit built that I modified during the build to a tail dragger, nearly flat wing, only an inch of dihedral so it holds a bank longer, and bolt down wing. I fly it with a 4 stroke OS .52 and have a blast with it. Had a few rough landings, one that snapped it in half, but unless you look inside would never know. The one in the foreground is a P-51 B/C, behind is a Twin Otter, ready for its maiden, the one on the right is the Extra 330L below a Funtana 90 and above on the left a T-34 that was converted from electric to glow. A few other planes being built, a 4*120 with a 20cc gas engine, a Chipmunk, and in the box still a Corsair. The bare wings on the left are from my ARF 4*120 that one wing snapped off of in flight and died a horrible spinning death. Replaced it with a kit built one, the wing will NOT snap off this new one.

dang lxsdisia

Edited by acdii