Riggo

Pricing, Haggling, Tips and Tricks

Does anyone know what the dealer holdback is on the Hybrid Titanium? I know it's like $966 for the regular Titanium (with the options I want at least.)

I'm trying to be as armed as possible for when I negotitate.

Other things I know to look for are processing fees which can be different in each state, and other various fees that usually are thrown in as something that's mandatory but really it's not.

I thought it would be good to get everyones tips and tricks for getting the best deals.

Holdback is 4% on Fords and 3% on Lincolns.

Thanks Ric, can I ask where you got this info?

Negotiating directly with the Sales Manager eliminates most of the sales tricks. The Sales Manager is the guy who can actually say YES to a deal. I've walked out of many a showroom, only to have the phone ring with a YES that was "impossible" at the showroom.

I have an offer for a HyTi at just a few dollars under invoice after all rebates, fees and taxes. I think this is a pretty good deal but I'm wondering if there is any room for improvement. I'm still waiting for the dealer to pull something from under the rug at the last second. I'm making sure I get everything in writing before I sign anything.

I was just wondering if any of you got a deal A LOT better than this or no. This will be my first new car but I feel like I've done all my homework and know the numbers.

I have an offer for a HyTi at just a few dollars under invoice after all rebates, fees and taxes. I think this is a pretty good deal but I'm wondering if there is any room for improvement. I'm still waiting for the dealer to pull something from under the rug at the last second. I'm making sure I get everything in writing before I sign anything.

I was just wondering if any of you got a deal A LOT better than this or no. This will be my first new car but I feel like I've done all my homework and know the numbers.

Sounds like that's better than the X-plan pricing. Is it? How did you manage that? :)

Sounds like that's better than the X-plan pricing. Is it? How did you manage that? :)

Not sure. I mean I did all my homework and knew the numbers. Then it was just a matter of emailing a bunch of dealers until I found one that was able to work with me. My price includes all the rebates though so maybe it's not better than the X-plan after the rebates.

Not sure. I mean I did all my homework and knew the numbers. Then it was just a matter of emailing a bunch of dealers until I found one that was able to work with me. My price includes all the rebates though so maybe it's not better than the X-plan after the rebates.

My X-plan price is $135 over invoice (before taxes and fees). Taxes in MI are 6%, so on a $35k car, that's $2,100. The incentives on the Hybrid are $500+$750 (if you're lucky), so that's still less than the sales tax. If your price is below invoice after taxes and fees, you're a lucky man ! :)

Do you get any other rebates besides the 2 I mentioned?

My X-plan price is $135 over invoice (before taxes and fees). Taxes in MI are 6%, so on a $35k car, that's $2,100. The incentives on the Hybrid are $500+$750 (if you're lucky), so that's still less than the sales tax. If your price is below invoice after taxes and fees, you're a lucky man ! :)

Do you get any other rebates besides the 2 I mentioned?

Nope, just the same two rebates you had. 6% tax!? Ouch!

Taxes in Texas are 6% as well

I'd almost try to buy the car in another state that has no tax or really low tax and have the car shipped to you. Seems like that route would be cheaper, even with the shipping cost.

I'd almost try to buy the car in another state that has no tax or really low tax and have the car shipped to you. Seems like that route would be cheaper, even with the shipping cost.

That wouldn't work in PA. The tax is paid when the title for the car is registered.

PA does have one nice feature. If you trade in a car the tax is on the difference between the cost of the new car and the trade in value of the old car.

That wouldn't work in PA. The tax is paid when the title for the car is registered.

PA does have one nice feature. If you trade in a car the tax is on the difference between the cost of the new car and the trade in value of the old car.

Oh yeah, what am I thinking. The tax is paid where you regsiter it, haha. I guess the only way you win doing what I said is if the processing fees etc are a boatload less in another state.

Wouldn't you still have to pay the taxes in our state when you register it?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="djminfll" data-cid="43077" data-time="1361332915"><p>

Wouldn't you still have to pay the taxes in our state when you register it?</p></blockquote>

Yeah, you pay the tax in the state you register the car. I corrected myself in a future post.

It's how Texas gets its 6.25% (not 6% iirc). The dealer registers the new title transfer and pays the tax all at once. You don't get to separate it. Our tax may be high, but it's only $60 to register it every year.

Hi Riggo,

I am in DC and doing my homework on a FFH now. Have some e-mail quotes by dealers--may I ask what dealer you wound up buying from? And did you completely agree on the price before setting foot in the dealership?

Thanks!

One thing I found out getting quotes, is make sure they are "out the door quotes", after they have tacked everything else on. The dealer I ended up buying from didn't have a Doc. fee, which everyone else had at 599.

I wonder what A/Z price is on a loaded up HyTi! X plan is 35 and change.