jholt26

Adaptive Cruise Control & Collision Warning System

If that is true, then the Flex was defective. :) Can't do much about it now.

So the entire system is described by ford here:

http://corporate.ford.com/microsites/sustainability-report-2012-13/vehicle-technologies-avoidance

It talks about:

Collision Warning with Brake Support

This is what you get with the fusion. It also talks about a system at the bottom of the page (Active City Stop euro feature) where at speeds 20MPH and bellow some cars from ford will stop them self altogether. Though doesn't seem to be available on the Fusion or in the US. According to this article the car should never stop it's self in the US.

I have noticed that approaching locations where the system usually goes off if i am already pressing the brakes it doesn't go off. No wither this is because my foot is on the brake or I am going a little slower these times i can't say. Going into work there is a curve in the road with a guardrail inches from the road that almost always triggers the alert...

I boosted sensitivity to high in the Fusion, and sort of tested it today behind a dump truck. The truck turned so I was speeding towards it like I have done in the MKT when it went off, and nothing happened. They do work different between the Ford and Lincoln. The Lincoln is set to normal sensitivity.

I boosted sensitivity to high in the Fusion, and sort of tested it today behind a dump truck. The truck turned so I was speeding towards it like I have done in the MKT when it went off, and nothing happened. They do work different between the Ford and Lincoln. The Lincoln is set to normal sensitivity.

Hello, I am a new 2014 Fusion Energi owner and my Collision warning does not seem to work at all except for the lights flashing on start up. My local dealer's service department is just plain incompetent, they provide only lies and mis-information and have proven they do not even know or understand the basic function of Fords active technology, or any technology in any manner. I have watched several user videos on the collision warning system and mine just does not work, and my dealer refuses to acknowledge that it is supposed to work. Besides research on these forums, it seems my only option is to take it to a dealer that is far from my house and hope that they have had training.

After one week in the dealer to fix the fuel door switch I am not too eager to bring this new car in (68 miles on it) to the dealer because they have had it longer than I have. So after thinking last night I know that the latest Ford update removed some Sync voice commands from the Climate system, I was wondering if this new software that my car came with also turned off the Collision warning system???

Did you ever get yours to work ??

p.s. Just for a laugh: my dealer first told me that Active Collision only works with "cruise control engaged", then they told me to make the Active Collision more sensitive, I need to set the sensitivity to "LOW" as this means it gives me more warning and makes it more sensitive, ?????? Really???? Boy do I have faith in them!!!! I don't think I will let them change the oil.

Hello, I am a new 2014 Fusion Energi owner and my Collision warning does not seem to work at all except for the lights flashing on start up. My local dealer's service department is just plain incompetent, they provide only lies and mis-information and have proven they do not even know or understand the basic function of Fords active technology, or any technology in any manner. I have watched several user videos on the collision warning system and mine just does not work, and my dealer refuses to acknowledge that it is supposed to work. Besides research on these forums, it seems my only option is to take it to a dealer that is far from my house and hope that they have had training.

After one week in the dealer to fix the fuel door switch I am not too eager to bring this new car in (68 miles on it) to the dealer because they have had it longer than I have. So after thinking last night I know that the latest Ford update removed some Sync voice commands from the Climate system, I was wondering if this new software that my car came with also turned off the Collision warning system???

Did you ever get yours to work ??

p.s. Just for a laugh: my dealer first told me that Active Collision only works with "cruise control engaged", then they told me to make the Active Collision more sensitive, I need to set the sensitivity to "LOW" as this means it gives me more warning and makes it more sensitive, ?????? Really???? Boy do I have faith in them!!!! I don't think I will let them change the oil.

Get Ashley involved when you visit the dealer. File a complaint with Ford about that dealer through her & leave them a negative review on DealerRater.com, Google+ & other sites. Edited by hybridbear

Hello, I am a new 2014 Fusion Energi owner and my Collision warning does not seem to work at all except for the lights flashing on start up. My local dealer's service department is just plain incompetent, they provide only lies and mis-information and have proven they do not even know or understand the basic function of Fords active technology, or any technology in any manner. I have watched several user videos on the collision warning system and mine just does not work, and my dealer refuses to acknowledge that it is supposed to work. Besides research on these forums, it seems my only option is to take it to a dealer that is far from my house and hope that they have had training. ...

Pavman,

I'm pretty sure I reached out to you on another thread, but my offer to assist still stands. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info if you're interested.

Ashley

Pavman,

I'm pretty sure I reached out to you on another thread, but my offer to assist still stands. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info if you're interested.

Ashley

Ashley, I sent you a PM a few hours ago on the Fusion Energi board! Thank you!

There is a lot of confusion about the Collision warning system and what it does. What is it about yours that "doesn't work"? First of all there is no such thing as "Active Collision". There is "Adaptive Cruise Control" and there is "Forward Collision Warning". They are both related, but "Active Collision" implies that the car will try to take action to prevent a collision, and this is not true. The only time the system will use the brakes on it's own is when the cruise control is engaged, so it's easy to understand what your dealer might have been thinking about, in fact you could even say they are technically correct; the only time the system will be "Active" is when the cruise control is engaged. Of course they do have the sensitivity rating backwards.

But back to your question, what makes you think it's not working? Does the adaptive cruise control work properly? Do you have any warning messages? When you go into the menus for the Forward Collision, does it show that the system is on? Did the dealer try to check for any codes?

The Forward Collision System makes an attempt to predict if there is a chance of collision not just based on distance of something in front of you, but also the closing speed, the change in speed of the object in front and also your current inputs to the vehicle. So if you're trying to test the system but are riding the brake as a precaution, it's going to be less sensitive than if you were on the gas but going the exact same speed.

Without any fault messages or codes, there really isn't very much the dealer can do, regardless of the amount of training they've taken.

You are correct Waldo, I am speaking about the "Forward Collision Warning" system. I have read and understand the parameters including not braking, going over 5 mph, not steering aggressively etc...and taken all of these into consideration. I don't expect the system to brake for me but I had ordered the option to assist in WARNING me of a possible collision with a vehicle that may have suddenly slowed or stopped in front of me, in the event I may have been temporarily distracted.

I expect the system to work between high sensitivity and low sensitivity like the other owners of Fords as shown on this tread and copied below:

Now with that said this morning my wife DID manage to get it to go off once. I was extremely surprised because I cannot get it to happen. In today's scenario she was less than 5 feet from hitting a car, and I am not exaggerating! - so the system did give a warning on this one instance but I tell you she was driving badly and approaching extremely another vehicle very fast, she actually had to swerve as brakes would not have stopped an impact, frankly if another car would have been next to us she would have caused an accident (not too happy with her right now!!)

Anyhow, the system in my car must be so de-tuned that the 5 foot before impact warning does no good whatsoever. I have set the sensitivity form Low to Highest and as I said it does not work like the videos above, In it's current state it is useless. I have also watched other videos showing the system go off even for cars in the other lane. I am wondering if the new sensor in my car was calibrated so badly, it is pointless??

Edited by Pavman

I was confused about this when I was researching the car.

Edited by tr7driver

I often have it go off like in the first video.

Do you & your wife have two cars? If so, you could replicate the scenario of the first video to test it. Make sure that it's turned on in the menu & that the sensitivity is set to "high".

I often have it go off like in the first video.

Do you & your wife have two cars? If so, you could replicate the scenario of the first video to test it. Make sure that it's turned on in the menu & that the sensitivity is set to "high".

No we only have one Fusion. I will take a video when I can, I will probably need it to show it to my local Ford service, as I said, they think it only works while on cruise control.

There is a sensitivity setting you can select from the left dash display, I have a 2013 The warning works if the cruise is in or not. I will check the menu structure and how to get to it. I played with the sensitivity settings some when I first got my FFH. The high setting got very annoying. It was always going off. The low setting is what I believe I have it set for. But I'll check. Who knows I may have it set for normal.

There is a sensitivity setting you can select from the left dash display, I have a 2013 The warning works if the cruise is in or not. I will check the menu structure and how to get to it. I played with the sensitivity settings some when I first got my FFH. The high setting got very annoying. It was always going off. The low setting is what I believe I have it set for. But I'll check. Who knows I may have it set for normal.

mine is set to "Highest"

When mine was set to highest, just about every time I would get within 100 feet of someone slowing down and turning right, the warning would go off.

It does sound like a calibration issue. How well does the adaptive cruise control work? You should be able to cruise on the highway and have ti detect the vehicles in front long before it ever starts to slow down. If it's slow to detect cars when using the cruise, it would indicate a calibration issue. The dealer should know how to calibrate it (or at least be able to look up the instructions) even if they don't know when it's supposed to work.

It does sound like a calibration issue. How well does the adaptive cruise control work? You should be able to cruise on the highway and have ti detect the vehicles in front long before it ever starts to slow down. If it's slow to detect cars when using the cruise, it would indicate a calibration issue. The dealer should know how to calibrate it (or at least be able to look up the instructions) even if they don't know when it's supposed to work.

Cruise control seems to work fine, on the farthest distance from following vehicle section and driving around 55 it keeps about 200 feet from that vehicle. I will try and post a video as soon as I can.

I wish I would get a warning from 100 feet away! That is what I expected the system to do!

As far as my service center, I think they slept through their training class. This system is and had been on several Ford models, you would think they should know how it works!

I had mine go off yesterday. Again a vehicle turning right. He slowed rapidly and I got within 40 feet of him when the alert went off.

Ok, I made a quick video this morning on my way home from the gym. Contrary to what I said on the video, I was clearly not going 20 mph faster than the vehicle in front of me; however, I was going at least 5 miles an hour faster, and in comparing it to the other samples I posted earlier I think the system should have activated.

The system is set to high sensitivity, and I can confirm the dash lights flash when the car is started and the active cruise control does work. My wife has the car today, otherwise I would have made a better video with a faster approach speed, but I assure you it still does not work.

http://youtu.be/EpOSlerJ7Mk

Cruise control seems to work fine, on the farthest distance from following vehicle section and driving around 55 it keeps about 200 feet from that vehicle. I will try and post a video as soon as I can.

That's not exactly what I'm asking. I'm asking about how far away you are when the system actually detects the car in front. In other words, how far away are you when you first get the little picture of the car showing up in the cluster?

That's not exactly what I'm asking. I'm asking about how far away you are when the system actually detects the car in front. In other words, how far away are you when you first get the little picture of the car showing up in the cluster?

Hmm, not really sure, I just learned about that little graphic the other day, I will get back to you on that one, but I know I have seen it come on over 100' away.

Ashley, I sent you a PM a few hours ago on the Fusion Energi board! Thank you!

I sent you a reply this morning, Pavman.

Ashley

Ok, I made a quick video this morning on my way home from the gym. Contrary to what I said on the video, I was clearly not going 20 mph faster than the vehicle in front of me; however, I was going at least 5 miles an hour faster, and in comparing it to the other samples I posted earlier I think the system should have activated.

From what I see in your video I feel like it should have activated as well.

It is a calibration issue, if it just flashes and no sound, that is also a module issue. The sensor in on the lower left side of the grill, you will see a closed in section on the lower grill, that is where the sensor is mounted. It is possible the radar unit is not aligned correctly and may not be seeing the car ahead of you directly. When set to high mine will actually go off when I approach a curve with a guard rail. It could be offset to the left a bit too much instead of directly ahead and a little right like it should be.

It is a calibration issue, if it just flashes and no sound, that is also a module issue. The sensor in on the lower left side of the grill, you will see a closed in section on the lower grill, that is where the sensor is mounted. It is possible the radar unit is not aligned correctly and may not be seeing the car ahead of you directly. When set to high mine will actually go off when I approach a curve with a guard rail. It could be offset to the left a bit too much instead of directly ahead and a little right like it should be.

I agree, or it could be a bad sensor. As I said before, the adaptive Cruise does work, I need to test out how far it detected another vehicle. The sensor looks like it is perfectly aligned with the bumper but I am wondering if it had more than one radar module in it or something. I think the radar system, lane keeping etc... are made by TRW and part of their AC100 system. If so this is a single band 24 ghz sensor and it is supposed to detect vehicles up to 150 Meters away and used in collision warning and adaptive cruise control. I don't think there is any adjustments in the system.

Anyhow, it is definitely broken and now my problem (and it really should not be). My trouble is finding a qualified service center in South Florida that first acknowledges there is a problem, and secondly, knows how to fix it. It is really a shame that a customer has to go through this, but I am so grateful that this community forum is here for everyone to learn from! If anyone knows a knowledgeable Ford Dealer down here, I would love a recommendation!

Maybe I will just take it in for service 2 more times for the same issue. then ask for a new car... :) , oh yeah, mine is new..... :rant2:

Edited by Pavman