Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Adaptive Cruise Control & Collision Warning System

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   expresspotato

expresspotato

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 218 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid with > 8 problems & 20 dealer visits
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yes, that's how I understand it. It also doesn't brake the car fully to a stop, it only brakes a certain amount to keep it at the preset distance (with adaptive cruise on) and if it decides it needs more braking because of an impending collision the collison avoidance lights will flash and the driver must take over.

I find this to be a huge safety risk - the car won't brake fully to a stop. Ether slowly as traffic's speed reduces below 20 KM/h or quickly as you're about to hit another car - it won't brake enough in either situation even when the system knows it should be braking more.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKZ Hybrid

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I always thought active and passive were the difference in a car stopping and not. When I picked up my car I actually had someone slam on there brakes in front of me. When the car started beeping I had no clue wtf was beeping. When I saw the guy in front of me I def had a o-shit moment and I stopped about 2ft off there ass on a highway. My friend audi has the same thing and will throw u thru the windsheild if your not buckled up. My guess is if a cheapo VW or kia minivan will stop itself. Our cars do too. 

After all, its trying to preserve its life. lol

System has nothing to do with adaptive cruise control tho I dont believe. Just uses the same sensors. Even if the braking system just slows itself to 20mph hoping you realize to put your foot on the brake by that point. 

225770.png

#23 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

The ACC will slow the car as much as needed without interaction. I had the cruise set a few weeks ago on 290, and traffic slowed quickly and the car damn near slammed on the brakes, dropping it from 60 to 35 in a heartbeat, no collision alarm either. At that point I took over, but man did I have a smile on my face. That was COOL! 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#24 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

I've had the ACC slow down so fast on the highway that the collision avoidance lights flashed and there is no way the car would have stopped without my intervention. It's still pretty cool how it slows down though.

#25 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Please....do not think the Collision Warning system will bring your car to a stop. It will only slow it down.

From the owner's manual:

"The vehicle will apply the brakes to slow the vehicle to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front. The maximum braking which the system can apply is limited. You can override the system by applying the brakes.

If the system predicts that its maximum braking level will not be sufficient, an audible warning will sound while the system continues to brake. This is accompanied by a heads-up display; a red warning bar illuminating on the windshield. You should take immediate action."

Edited by hermans, 14 August 2013 - 03:19 PM.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#26 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

It's the cars way of saying, Holy S*** Brake now stupid!   :)  :hysterical3:  :hysterical:

• MaineFusion likes this

Posted Image

#27 OFFLINE   expresspotato

expresspotato

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 218 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid with > 8 problems & 20 dealer visits

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

There was a top gear episode where the tried to crash a mazda 6 and couldn't, that's how good the radar based collision system was.

To me the ACC and lane keeping aid are mediocre at best.

- The lane keeping aid won't even turn on and will turn off under 60 KM/h which is pretty fast already

- The lane keeping aid will let you go all the way over then correct but only so to center you in, then will let you wander right off to the other side...

- The adaptive cruise control won't work under 20 KM/h which is pretty brutal in stop and go traffic and when coming to a stop will click off with just a few feet to stop in a real bummer

#28 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

There us a light pole around the corner from my house my car always beep at every time i go past it. I think it had a bad run in with that pole on a past life. Its the only place ive seen it do it other than for actual cars. 

225770.png

#29 OFFLINE   MaineFusion

MaineFusion

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 433 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

There us a light pole around the corner from my house my car always beep at every time i go past it. I think it had a bad run in with that pole on a past life. Its the only place ive seen it do it other than for actual cars. 

Mine likes to go off for a curved road arrow on my daily commute.    For about six months it never triggered for the sign and then a couple weeks ago it decided it just didn't like the arrow any more.  The first time it ever went off about made my heart stop.  Now I'm kind of desensitized to it.

Edited by MaineFusion, 14 September 2013 - 06:19 PM.

200866.png

#30 OFFLINE   Howie411

Howie411

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 269 posts
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Havent seen the cool LED lights go on yet in my car yet other then when I start it up.   Though maybe its a good thing I dont see it.

#31 OFFLINE   Sleddog

Sleddog

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 421 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid in Ice Storm. 2009 Focus, 2006 F150, 2001 Focus (retired with 361,318 miles), 1994 F150 Flarside

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've had the ACC on and the collision warning go off because of a car slowing and turning right.  The combination of the two will slow you down VERY FAST!  I override it by pressing on the go pedal.  The car wants to hesitate a little but the pedal does override the ACC and collision warning system.  I think since the collsion system charges the brake and the ACC system uses them to slow you if needed, it causing the car to slow down very fast.

Edited by Sleddog, 13 November 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 809 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

I've had the ACC on and the collision warning go off because of a car slowing and turning right.  The combination of the two will slow you down VERY FAST!  I override it by pressing on the go pedal.  The car wants to hesitate a little but the pedal does override the ACC and collision warning system.  I think since the collsion system charges the brake and the ACC system uses them to slow you if needed, it causing the car to slow down very fast.

Besides putting me over my budget, this is exactly why I didn't want these options on my FFH.  I only want my car to do what I command it to do.

#33 OFFLINE   Toz

Toz

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 422 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2000 Dodge Intrepid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

I only want my car to do what I command it to do.

Right up until I command it to do something stupid :sos: 

14 Sunset HyTi

ACC,Bliss, lane keeping,

heated steering wheel,

heated and cooled seats with 10 way Passenger seat

rear inflatable seatbelts

Soft Ceramic interior

Ordered: 21Oct13

Vin:25OCT13

Est. build date: Week of 11 Nov 13 

Window sticker: 7 Nov 13

Build date: 13 Nov 13

Est. Delivery Date:13 Dec 13

Delivery date:!3 Dec 13

#34 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Wait until you really have to use it. It will put you in the windshield when you hit the brake pedal when those red lights are flashing. The car can stop before the dime when its active.

Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I've noticed a few cars like the Mazda 6 and I think the Chevy impala (I forget which Chevy) that can come to a complete stop if needed. I was wondering if that could be something Ford could do for our Fusions with a software upgrade. I mean it can already slow itself down to 15 mph or less, why not just have it stop completely in a possible rear end situation.

#36 OFFLINE   Eddie Sessum

Eddie Sessum

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

They can but not here.. After I found out it couldn't I kinda wished I would have checked out the 328d. May still in a year or 2.

225770.png

#37 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

The Focus sold in Australia has the auto stop tech, but only works at speeds under 30 MPH. 

One side effect of these gadgets, it makes people complacent and more likely to ignore driving thinking, hey the car will stop, or it will keep me from running off the road. Then they get use to this tech, get in a car that doesnt have it and wind up crashing. So there is good and bad for all of these features. 

• hybridbear likes this

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   Sleddog

Sleddog

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 421 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid in Ice Storm. 2009 Focus, 2006 F150, 2001 Focus (retired with 361,318 miles), 1994 F150 Flarside

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

B25Nut, it's these system that are bringing the automobile into the high tech world.  Just think what flying a fighter would be like without some of the systems that have been in use for well over 30 years (stall, low level warnings and so on). 

Will they make some folks complacent?  Sure, will they save lives?  Hopefully.  It's all about situational awareness, and the more the better.

Edited by Sleddog, 15 November 2013 - 07:16 PM.

• Toz likes this

#39 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Big difference between someone who flies jets, especially fighters, and your average yoho behind the wheel.    These are great advances to automotive technology, but take your average person who texts and talks on the phone while driving, add in these systems and they will be even more distracted thinking the car will save them.    A competent driver will use these to their best advantage.  I like the lane keeping, but only use it if on a long road trip. 

Posted Image

#40 OFFLINE   Sleddog

Sleddog

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

Sure there's a big difference.  The point was to give B25Nut something to compare it against since he is an aviation enthusiast. He also has some design experience. Have you every flown a fighter?  I did for over 20 years.  The comparison is the advancement of technology.  The auto industry is just starting to add in advancements that have been around for years in aviation.  Antilock(called antiskid in aircraft) brakes have been in aircraft for well over 50 years.  But they only became common in cars in the last 15 years or so.  Heads up displays, again, they have been around for years in aircraft, they are now finding there way into cars and trucks.

These are safety systems.  Anything that can be done to improve the yohos (as you call them) situational awareness helps.  One thing I never had to worry about when flying was the person in front of me slamming on their brakes because they dropped a cell phone or a cup of coffee.  I also never had to worry the person next to me drifting into my lane because they were texting.  The government is going to regulate what safety features are to be included with a car.  Just like they did with the TPS system.  The BLISS systems and traction control are next.  I feel they are needed because people spend too much time doing other things (eating, texting, putting on make-up, talking to others in the car, talking on cell phones held by hand) to have enough situational awareness to drive safely.

One thing I did have to worry about was target fixation and loss of situational awareness during IFR conditions. That's why when flying, instrument scans and looking outside the cockpit is very important.  Just like checking your gauges and scanning the traffic and traffic situations outside the car is equally important.  

Here's a good example for you.  I was number 2 for landing at an AFB and had a C-5 land gear up in front of me.  Conditions, clear and a million.  Cause, pilot and IP error, loss of situational awareness.  The pilot was on a check ride, the IP was throwing failures and simulated failures at the crew.  One of the things the IP did was to pull the landing gear warning circuit breaker.  The crew lost situational awareness while dealing with the failures.  The AT controller gave them a check wheels down, cleared to land call, and the crew acknowledged it.  The pilot and crew short cut the landing checklist, and they along with the IP, missed the gear was up.   With the gear warning breaker open, the aircraft was allowed to land with the gear up.  If the gear warning horn went off, they could have gone around.  But they ended up attempting a scrape and go that ended up as a gear up, scrape and full stop. 

So, if you loose situation awareness in your car, these system may help.  Otherwise you may end up hurting not only yourself, but someone else. 

Edited by Sleddog, 18 November 2013 - 08:46 PM.

• Toz and MaineFusion like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·