My wife informed me over the weekend that if we go on a sightseeing trip, we need to take her RX330. She just sits too low in the Fusion's passenger seat to see out of the car the way she likes. That got me thinking about adding a cushion to her seat (a backless adult booster seat). A Google search came up negative. Anybody have any ideas? She doesn't want it cloth covered since that makes it too hard for her to slide in and out of the car, so it would have to be vinyl or leather covered. It needs to give her a 3" rise. Modifying a cushion from a patio chair is the only idea I can come up with.

That's not good. Is the seat really that low? How tall is your wife.

I wonder how much it would coset to get a passenger seat that works like the driver's seat.

Is that even possible after market?

I'd head over to your local car/boat upholstery shop and see what they can do.

Additional material (under the leather) to add height to the seat bottom or 2-3" spacers under the seat rails are possibilities.

My wife is 5'1", but also, if something isn't perfect, she'll complain. The controls for the seat would be on the wrong side if a driver's seat replaced the passenger's. I found what appears to be the right size memory foam seat cushion online last night. I'm going to put that under a sheepskin seat cover (bottom only, not the back) and see if that is practical. Number one priority is to keep the little women happy.

While on that subject, I'd thought I'd mention that the FFH has improved our relationship. She mentioned this morning how I've become a "nicer" person. It used to be that I'd get a little (actually a lot) irritated when she would ask me when I got home from work to "run down" to the grocery store and get something like a pound of butter. Since the market is 8 miles away and my previous vehicle would have used a gallon of gas, I'd usually say "no" and we would have a very silent evening. The Fusion has changed that "no" to a "yes". Last weekend she wanted me to drive her to Macys, which is over 45 miles away. I surprised even myself by immediately saying "yes". The FFH has made me a happier person.

While on that subject, I'd thought I'd mention that the FFH has improved our relationship. She mentioned this morning how I've become a "nicer" person.

Same here, I'm more relaxed while driving, want to go places (which means 'shopping' to the wife) and not 'all wound up' when we arrive.

Connubial harmony.

My wife is 5-1...or so she says. She has yet to complain about the passenger seat height. She says she would rather not see the crash coming. I told her not to worry as I would tell her just before we hit.

Edited by hermans

My wife is now happy with her passenger seat. I found a memory foam pad that works. It is held in place by the bottom half of Costco's sheepskin seat cover (I cut off the part for the back of the seat). This combination raises her the required 3". It was nice to see her just slide into her seat this morning instead of dropping down into it. Getting out of the Fusion is also much easier for her now. The next test will be how comfortable it will remain during a long distance trip. I find the seat comfortable, but I only have about 1" of headroom.

I wish I had seen this site prior to my purchase of my 2013 Fusion SE Hybrid. The first comment from my wife when I returned home was why is the passenger seat sitting so low, without any means of adjusting it's height? I hadn't noticed as I had raised the drivers seat so I could see the road as one would expect. It appears these seats are certainly designed to make the car a bit more sporty but can't figure out why Ford would have Mustang style seats in a family car. I called FMC and chatted with the rep. but they just connected me with the service manager at the dealership where I purchased the car. Of course they can not make any modifications and take the liability. I may have to look at putting this seat on after market seat rails that will provide some room for height adjustment (although that can only be done manually with wrenches) A harder solution but it surely will be better than Ford produced

Not that it really matters since my wife rarely drives with me (We only have one child seat which is mounted in here car) but mine is 6' and has no complains about the seating position.

Edited by corncobs

The first thing my wife said when we drove the Flex to work was, WOW I can see over the dash now! That is a bit goofy that this new car passenger seat only moves back and forth in all models. I can under stand in a base model, but top of the line luxury model? The 2010 seat moves up and down, wonder why Ford went backwards on that.

The first thing my wife said when we drove the Flex to work was, WOW I can see over the dash now! That is a bit goofy that this new car passenger seat only moves back and forth in all models. I can under stand in a base model, but top of the line luxury model? The 2010 seat moves up and down, wonder why Ford went backwards on that.

The Lincoln MKZ has fully adjustable passenger seat and uses same chassis, I think.

My wife is 5'1", but also, if something isn't perfect, she'll complain. The controls for the seat would be on the wrong side if a driver's seat replaced the passenger's. I found what appears to be the right size memory foam seat cushion online last night. I'm going to put that under a sheepskin seat cover (bottom only, not the back) and see if that is practical. Number one priority is to keep the little women happy.

While on that subject, I'd thought I'd mention that the FFH has improved our relationship. She mentioned this morning how I've become a "nicer" person. It used to be that I'd get a little (actually a lot) irritated when she would ask me when I got home from work to "run down" to the grocery store and get something like a pound of butter. Since the market is 8 miles away and my previous vehicle would have used a gallon of gas, I'd usually say "no" and we would have a very silent evening. The Fusion has changed that "no" to a "yes". Last weekend she wanted me to drive her to Macys, which is over 45 miles away. I surprised even myself by immediately saying "yes". The FFH has made me a happier person.

Hahaha I feel the same. It's a joy to drive the car now, even if it means driving it to go do unpleasant tasks like running to the store

Same here, I'm more relaxed while driving, want to go places (which means 'shopping' to the wife) and not 'all wound up' when we arrive.

Connubial harmony.

Agree about the relaxing.

My wife is 5-1...or so she says. She has yet to complain about the passenger seat height. She says she would rather not see the crash coming. I told her not to worry as I would tell her just before we hit.

Haha good thinking

I installed 2" blocks under my seat rail, it worked great! Now the wife is happy and can get in and out easier too.

Tell me more about how you did this please.

WOODEN BLOCKS??

FIRST THING MY WIFE SAID WHEN SHE GOT IN THE PASSENGER SEAT "THIS SEAT SITS WAY TOO LOW"

We were coming from a 2005 Accord Hybrid which was fine.

Well I found out that the passenger seat in the 13 Flex no longer flips forward flat for extra cargo space like they did in previous models. I heard has something to do with crash protection, so who knows why the seat on the fusion sits so low.

FIRST THING MY WIFE SAID WHEN SHE GOT IN THE PASSENGER SEAT "THIS SEAT SITS WAY TOO LOW"

Hmm, my wife complained about the same exact thing and also immediately. I wonder if we are

perhaps married to the same woman? A rolled up sock and some duck tape solved that problem...

Now the seat height is fine and did not involve any blocks.... ;)

Hmm, my wife complained about the same exact thing and also immediately. I wonder if we are

perhaps married to the same woman? A rolled up sock and some duck tape solved that problem...

Now the seat height is fine and did not involve any blocks.... ;)

I guess the honeymoon phase is over? lol!

How tall are all of these women that complain? I'm wondering if my girlfriend meets the height requirement or if I need to order some phone books.

Tell me more about how you did this please.

WOODEN BLOCKS??

We were coming from a 2005 Accord Hybrid which was fine.

Yeah, wooden blocks work for me, 2" tall and 3" long and longer bolts of course.

I cheerfully let my wife drive when she mentions the passenger seat being too low. It's kinda tough on mileage as her right foot only knows two positions, and the aw sh*t handle gets a work out.

If I used duct tape and a rolled up sock, my clean underwear would forever stop magically appearing in the drawer. I'm not prepared for that to happen.

Edited by mokee

That sounded dirty. :)

For once my wife STOPPED complaining about my driving in the new Fusion. The seat held her in place on those fast turns, so she overlooked the lower seat position.