Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How Ford achieved 47 MPG in testing, and why you can't in the real world

MPG gasmileage FordFusionHybrid

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jeff_h

jeff_h

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,774 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:12 AM

I get about 35mpg average now. A bit better than the 32 I was getting before the update, but no where near what most on this forum get. I'm disappointed, but as time goes on I find I'm not obsessing as much as I was. What are my options..I can't trade it in without taking a huge loss. I ordered the car exactly like I wanted it, and I love it except for the gas mileage.

You noted in another post that you were wondering about how many previous addresses were kept in the navigation, or something to that effect -- would that indicate that your daily routine involves a lot of short trips or trips to places where you're unfamiliar?  One of the things that helps me in my daily commute is knowing where the uphills and downhills are and planning ahead to have a higher SOC ready for slight uphills or a low SOC when I know there's a good downhill ahead, etc etc..which helps with the MPG on the trips.  If you don't have the familiarity I wonder if that diminishes the ability to plan ahead and get a little better MPG?

• acdii, B25Nut and Toz like this

2013 Fusion Titanium Energi Deep Impact Blue

204627.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   clummus

clummus

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 337 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

You could be right. I work in home health and my clientele changes weekly. Pretty much the same general area, just different addresses in those towns.

#43 OFFLINE   B25Nut

B25Nut

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 805 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Hybrid White Platinum - Dune
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

I get about 35mpg average now. A bit better than the 32 I was getting before the update, but no where near what most on this forum get. I'm disappointed, but as time goes on I find I'm not obsessing as much as I was. What are my options..I can't trade it in without taking a huge loss. I ordered the car exactly like I wanted it, and I love it except for the gas mileage.

Clummus, what is your average brake score, and do you generally drive with the climate on Auto?  I would think that going to so many new places each day would make it more difficult to get 90%+ scores. 

#44 OFFLINE   alpha754293

alpha754293

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 205 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

I have never expected EPA mileage rating and didn't expect 47 on the Fusion Hybrid primarily because my driving style does not equate to EPA guidelines. Reality versus EPA should be off about 10% (no science or survey, just experience).  On my first hybrid, purchased in March, I got 43 prior to the reprogramming update.  Unfortunately, we were hit by a pickup and the Fusion was a total loss (no injuries, which was great).  In purchasing a replacement, we're only getting 36, after the reprogramming.  EPA or not, mileage should be better than 36.  From postings I've found thus far, overall average appears to be 40 with range from 29 to 53 and 70% of the postings are above 37 and 60% are above 40.  The premium for Fusion is not justified at 36.  I just want to get to 43+/-.  Ford dealer tells me there is nothing they can do and Ford corporate tells me to drive another 3000 miles.   

What's your current mileage now (or mileage since the reprogramming)?

I know that before the PCM update, my Titanium Hybrid settled in on 37.3 lifetime average mpg at about 10,000 miles on the odo. Since the update (I'm at like 15,500 maybe?), my lifetime average has actually gone UP to 38.1 mpg (went up from 38.0 to 38.1 today actually) and my regular Detroit<->Flint run now gets between 40-44 mpg. (It seems to be learning the routes faster). But I'm still sorta waiting to see what would happen at the 20k miles mark, but by then, it would be in the dead of winter, so there will be other adverse factors that will drag the fuel economy down, that I know for sure.

Pre-PCM update, my Detroit<->Flint run would top out at 37.3 mpg. Today, on my way up, I got 44 and change. Come back down, I think that I ended up with like high 39s or might have been 38s. I forget. And the same thing for my commute to work. Pre-PCM update, 37 was about all I can get out of it. Since the update, I've been 41s show up. So give your car a bit of time and let's see where it settles out at.

• dalesky likes this

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed here are solely that of my own and are not representative of Ford Motor Company or its affiliates.

200163.png

#45 OFFLINE   CHH57

CHH57

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:01 PM

My Fusion gets about what the government tests suggest, but only in the summer with the original tires. Oh, and only if I don't spend too much time on Interstate 95 at the posted speed limit of either 70 or 75 mph. If I'm driving around the coast I can't really travel faster than perhaps 65 and the hills give ample time for coasting so sometimes I can average over 65 MPG!
So I understand that mileage will suffer on the highway and in the winter but its really great when those snows come off and my mileage soars.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MPG, gasmileage, FordFusionHybrid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·