hybridbear

How Ford achieved 47 MPG in testing, and why you can't in the real world

Just traded a 2010 FFH with approx 60,000 miles on it. Overall average fuel economy was 44.4 mpg when the car was traded in for a 2013 FFH. The dealer upgraded the PCM at delivery and like the 2010, I within a mile or so or exceeding the EPA rating. Last night, I got 60.9 mpg on a 21 mile cross county drive that included a mix of suburban surface streets and 4-lane highways with occasional stop lights. Car has approx. 520 miles on it.

I can consistently get above epa but the other drivers don't. this car was built too heavy for the electrical drive to keep up with today's traffic demand and hills. pls the hvac is not tuned for a hybrid family. At times the ac consumes more energy than driving the car at 50mph with just blower fan on.

I wonder if I can plug a 12 v solar battery charger while driving to charge the accessories battery and offset some of that energy from converter and make it more of a hybrid. like the prius with solar panel. hmmm

Nice article very true on some aspects. One needs to ask the question what did all kinds of company ads, brochures and the guys at dealership led you to believe, whats the real cost to own a hybrid. How much longer one needs to drive the same car to recoup the 20% mpg that they didn't realize.

I have never expected EPA mileage rating and didn't expect 47 on the Fusion Hybrid primarily because my driving style does not equate to EPA guidelines. Reality versus EPA should be off about 10% (no science or survey, just experience). On my first hybrid, purchased in March, I got 43 prior to the reprogramming update. Unfortunately, we were hit by a pickup and the Fusion was a total loss (no injuries, which was great). In purchasing a replacement, we're only getting 36, after the reprogramming. EPA or not, mileage should be better than 36. From postings I've found thus far, overall average appears to be 40 with range from 29 to 53 and 70% of the postings are above 37 and 60% are above 40. The premium for Fusion is not justified at 36. I just want to get to 43+/-. Ford dealer tells me there is nothing they can do and Ford corporate tells me to drive another 3000 miles.

I get about 35mpg average now. A bit better than the 32 I was getting before the update, but no where near what most on this forum get. I'm disappointed, but as time goes on I find I'm not obsessing as much as I was. What are my options..I can't trade it in without taking a huge loss. I ordered the car exactly like I wanted it, and I love it except for the gas mileage.

You noted in another post that you were wondering about how many previous addresses were kept in the navigation, or something to that effect -- would that indicate that your daily routine involves a lot of short trips or trips to places where you're unfamiliar? One of the things that helps me in my daily commute is knowing where the uphills and downhills are and planning ahead to have a higher SOC ready for slight uphills or a low SOC when I know there's a good downhill ahead, etc etc..which helps with the MPG on the trips. If you don't have the familiarity I wonder if that diminishes the ability to plan ahead and get a little better MPG?