hybridbear

How Ford achieved 47 MPG in testing, and why you can't in the real world

"WOW", thanks for the imput. You sure sound like you know what your talking about. What about premium gasoline? Do you think that would make a difference?

No, premium gasoline has no more energy per gallon.

No ethanol regular has about 4 % more energy per gallon. Premium does not have more energy per gallon and is a waste in cars. Even those specifying it only gain a few top end HP. when using it and will run fine on regular. Premium allows higher BMEP, not lower BSFC.

The only way I can get to even 40 MPG is to accelerate very slowly, 0-55 in about 30-45 seconds. The 13 is much more difficult to achieve decent MPG than the 10 is.

As far as premium goes, it all depends on the engine. When I had the F150, running on 87 octanes would get 16 MPG, but running on Premium would see 18 MPG. The Ecoboost ran a lot more efficient on premium. At Interstate speeds though, didnt really make much difference whether it was 85 or 92 octane. It seems only city/highway mattered.

Ford should have taken lessons from Toyota on marketing. It's one thing to ace the EPA tests, its another to market the car with more realistically obtained numbers. Both the Prius and Camry hybrids I had, met and exceeded their EPA numbers, in fact the 2007 Prius I had was rated old school 60 city 50 highway, and while I never really drove it in city traffic, I did do very well on the highway, the lifetime on it was 53. The Camry exceeded the 34 EPA by 4 MPG. The 2010 FFH is spot on, and I have also exceeded the 36 highway by huge numbers in it.

One odd thing I noticed about the 2010, if we short fill it, add gas when there is more than a half tank, the MPG is quite low, and far off from what we were actually getting, but if we fill when its under 1/4 tank, then the calculations are withing a MPG of the dash.

This will bite Ford though, if the majority of owners cant achieve these numbers in either car, there will be backlash against them and people will not buy them. If it turns out Ford did fudge the numbers like Hyundai. even worse.

30.8 mile trip, average speed 40MPH. Max RPM 2247. Max speed 63MPH(downhill). Anyone want to take a guess at MPG? Temps in mid 40's too, much warmer than the past 2 weeks by at least 40 degrees.

OK, here is proof the 2010 Fusion can excel in surpassing EPA rating of 39 combined. This is combined city/highway from today, 40* temps, and falling

388761_496672320374907_1008872892_n.jpg

Looking for smoking gun. Do you have much exhaust soot like ICE is running rich? My CMAX has some.

Oh yeah, the tailpipe is black with soot. I forgot about that.

37 MPG?

Close, 36.5

Trip home tonight I really made the effort, and got it to 39.1. I can just imagine what it can do when running right