Sign in to follow this  
acdii

You know you have been to the dealer too many times when....

Your 2013 Fusion Hybrid goes into EV+ mode pulling into their lot!

Pulled in to pick up our 2010 after they repaired it, looked down at the dash and it was in EV+.

Check out a plug I pulled today. 1300 miles and already coated with carbon.

Its something the service manager and I discussed, but would have to be done on a dyno due to it being a hybrid. Not sure if the local testing station would be able to do it. The SM has his hands tied on this one, he cant do anything to the car without Ford approving it. He is as frustrated as I am. He has taken the car home twice already and also noted it will never see 47 MPG on the highway, but his IDS shows that it is in the acceptable range. In order to get that, he drove it like a granny(per Ford) and @ 45 MPH.

The Gen 1 FFH's ICE will run in :"P" if you push down about a third of the way on the accelerator pedal and continue to run until you release it. It will charge the HVB fully in this manner. Maybe the 2013 does this also and a tailpipe emissions test can be done without a dyno. The OBD should log any irregularities also. Maybe the richness is not enough to trigger DTC's.

The Gen 1 FFH's ICE will run in :"P" if you push down about a third of the way on the accelerator pedal and continue to run until you release it. It will charge the HVB fully in this manner. Maybe the 2013 does this also and a tailpipe emissions test can be done without a dyno. The OBD should log any irregularities also. Maybe the richness is not enough to trigger DTC's.

This is the way that they've used to run the emissions test (all vehicles in my county need one every 2 years) for my 2010 FFH... now I also wonder if the 2013 has the same behavior.

It idles at 1500 RPM, cruise is right around 1900 RPM, so that is where it needs to be tested, but it should truly be tested under load, which is why I say it should be on a dyno. Alternate would be a portable emissions tester.