jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

That sounds like a job for our Ford rep.

-Swoops in-

Here's what I was able to find on a quick resource search.

2013-2015: Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor (standard across all Fusion Hybrids)

• An advanced system that calculates the oil change service interval based on actual vehicle use and operating conditions – up to 1 year or 10,000 miles.
• Conditions that could accelerate an oil change interval include towing, short-distance driving and driving in extreme temperatures
• When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the message center display, it’s time for an oil change
• The oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing
• The Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor must be reset after each oil change
Here's the info for Energi
2013: (from the Owner Guide)
Fusion Energi Plug-in Hybrid
Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor® system, which displays a message in the information display at the proper oil change interval. This interval may be up to two years or 20000 miles (32000 kilometers). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the information display, it is time for an oil change. Make sure you perform the oil change within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. Make sure you reset the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor® after each oil change. See Engine Oil Check (page 237).
My resources show it's standard for 2014 and 2015 Fusion Energis, but that same resource only shows the regular oil monitor for the 2013 rather than what it states in the Owner Guide. So, for anyone with a 2013 Energi, it may be best to check with your dealer, but I'm showing the rest of the models having the IOLM.
Meagan

Am I overlooking the link in the first post everybody keeps mentioning with a write up and pictures of the job? I'm going to change the oil for the first time on my FFH and just want to look over the pictures so I know what the 3 panels look like ahead of time. Thanks!

Am I overlooking the link in the first post everybody keeps mentioning with a write up and pictures of the job? I'm going to change the oil for the first time on my FFH and just want to look over the pictures so I know what the 3 panels look like ahead of time. Thanks!

3 panels? I started the thread with info about the 2013 FFH, which has one large fiberglass-type cover on the bottom of the engine. Once that's out of the way, everything is accessible. I think the 2014 and 2015 are probably the same, but can't say for sure.

3 panels? I started the thread with info about the 2013 FFH, which has one large fiberglass-type cover on the bottom of the engine. Once that's out of the way, everything is accessible. I think the 2014 and 2015 are probably the same, but can't say for sure.

Jeff - did you post pictures of this? I know you've done some excellent tutorials with pics but I can't find any for the oil change in the early pages of this thread.

Maybe its the 14 and up but I thought I read one large panel and two small panels that users said are best removed with a flat head screwdriver in a prying motion. And, as Hybridbear mentions, users report pictures and a write up somewhere around the first post but I'm missing the link.

Jeff - did you post pictures of this? I know you've done some excellent tutorials with pics but I can't find any for the oil change in the early pages of this thread.

No, I only did pics of the air filter -- but below is a youtube clip that a regular on the Energi forum posted, same process applies to the FFH. And *now* watching that video I think I know what the OP is talking about with the '3' panels. There is one large fiberglass type of panel, about 3 foot x 4 foot, you can't miss that one! The other two (for which one would need the screwdriver) are the two small plastic clips that help hold the thing in place at the factory before they buzz in all the screws. Those are easy to pop out, just pry down on the tab with a screwdriver, and if you end up busting one of two off (like I did with the FFH) it doesn't hurt anything, just means you won't have those handly clips to use for holding the big panel in place when you buzz the screws back in.

No, I only did pics of the air filter -- but below is a youtube clip that a regular on the Energi forum posted, same process applies to the FFH. And *now* watching that video I think I know what the OP is talking about with the '3' panels. There is one large fiberglass type of panel, about 3 foot x 4 foot, you can't miss that one! The other two (for which one would need the screwdriver) are the two small plastic clips that help hold the thing in place at the factory before they buzz in all the screws. Those are easy to pop out, just pry down on the tab with a screwdriver, and if you end up busting one of two off (like I did with the FFH) it doesn't hurt anything, just means you won't have those handly clips to use for holding the big panel in place when you buzz the screws back in.

Thank you.

I had to see if things were the same so I went back to my local rural Ford Dealer's Quick Lane and asked to have my oil/filter changed. I was in luck, no line and I was rolled right in, once again I had my 5-quart Mobil 1 full synthetic and Motorcraft filter with me. Same guy checked me in and because it was slow he listened to what I wanted; don't mess with my air pressure in my tires, don't look at my air cleaner (K&N), check my belly pan for eCVT leaks and only put in 4-1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 oil - this instantly was conveyed to the pit crew.

Feeling like things were under control I walked over to the new cars and sat in a 2015 Edge Sport with the new 2.7l V-6 EB (next car research), then hurried back. I was just in time to catch the pit crew pouring in the oil and I reminded them that no matter what they see on the dipstick DO NOT put in more than 4.5 quarts of oil, of course they told me they don't have a way to measure it - just like last time. I had them hand me the 5-qt jug of oil and looked at how much they'd used and told'em that was enough, I can always add some later but too much is too much, they agreed.

I asked about the eCVT leaking and the one senior guy said it looked fine but whoever put the last oil filter on didn't tighten it enough, there was a bit of leakage from there but he'd wiped it up real clean. I love these guys. That was when I told him he did the last oil/filter change, what a funny look he got on his face. I thanked him for wiping it clean. BTW, they like the Redline hood struts.

This was a better experience, only 25 minutes, only one oil change and the underside of the car was all wiped clean, all for $18 plus my oil/filter costs at Walmart.

One more note, I have 43k miles on my FFH and have changed the oil more often than recommended, this was the 6th time. This was also the longest I've let it go, 10,400 miles (yes, I had to reset the oil reminder on the way home from this last trip, put it at 10%). At no time in 43k miles has the Atkinson engine used enough oil to take the oil level below the full mark on the dipstick - it does not use oil. I think that is fantastic. :)

I was just in time to catch the pit crew pouring in the oil and I reminded them that no matter what they see on the dipstick DO NOT put in more than 4.5 quarts of oil, of course they told me they don't have a way to measure it - just like last time. I had them hand me the 5-qt jug of oil and looked at how much they'd used and told'em that was enough, I can always add some later but too much is too much, they agreed.

What a lame excuse!

I would have showed them the scale on the side of the jug and said "measurement is built in" :)

You moved their cheese again but they seemed to handle it better this time. After a couple more times you will probably have them fully adjusted.

What a lame excuse!

I would have showed them the scale on the side of the jug and said "measurement is built in" :)

Silly, isn't it... Next time I'll take in 5 individual quarts, one only half full.

;)

You moved their cheese again but they seemed to handle it better this time. After a couple more times you will probably have them fully adjusted.

They weren't so busy on this occasion, but you've probably noticed how difficult certain simple things can be these days.

At the same time the cars are becoming more difficult to service and repair.

:headspin:

Edited by GrySql

You mean there are markings on the side to show how much is left in the container???