jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

the 10K oil change interval is no longer a myth

Good to know. We're doing the recommended 10K interval, although we did the second oil change at 19K as we were about to head out on a road trip and didn't want to have to take time during vacation to find a dealership to have it done. Had the 30K oil change done which recommends air filters be changed, but dealership said both were still in good shape and recommended we wait to have them replaced. Started their new Owner Rewards program as well during this dealer visit, so looking forward to some discounts here and there in the service dept.

Started their new Owner Rewards program as well during this dealer visit, so looking forward to some discounts here and there in the service dept.

That's unusual. Around here, Philadelphia, PA, most of the dealers have abandoned the Owner Rewards program. It happened at two different dealers and I lost credits in both cases.

That's unusual. Around here, Philadelphia, PA, most of the dealers have abandoned the Owner Rewards program. It happened at two different dealers and I lost credits in both cases.

My OAR account looks like this.

The Credit amount for future service was all from the Dealer paying for my car rental fuel while they fixed my car.

So next time I go in I can use it for the labor they charge for installing the Cabin Air Filter I have.

I like my Dealer.

07e5cdfc-8b62-4900-b448-7fd47a54ecba_zps

Edited by GrySql

I bought a 2014 FFH and the oil cap on the engine says 5W-20 but the owner's manual, both my paper copy and the online version, state to use 0W-20 with a note that says "You can use 5W-20 oil if 0W-20 oil is not available." How's that for confusing?

Seems both the 2013 and 2014 0W-20 is recommended:

Edited by scn101

I bought a 2014 FFH and the oil cap on the engine says 5W-20 but the owner's manual, both my paper copy and the online version, state to use 0W-20 with a note that says "You can use 5W-20 oil if 0W-20 oil is not available." How's that for confusing?

The Owner's Manual for my 2013 specifies 5W-20 oil.

The Owner's Manual for my 2013 specifies 5W-20 oil.

Interesting!! The OM with both the black FFH and the white FFH call for 5W-20. When Ford restated the C-Max MPG figures they said that the 2014 C-Max would use a lower viscosity oil for increased fuel economy. I have not heard anything of this since. Ford stated at the time that the lower viscosity oil would not be backwards compatible with 2013 vehicles. It appears that they have changed their mind however, and are calling for 0W-20 in the 2013s as well...

From the 3rd printing (most recent) of the 2013 FFH owner's manual....Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or equivalent.

The latest documents seem to be the:

2013 OM 3rd printing that is dated Feb 2013. 5W-20

2014 OM 2nd printing that is dated Nov 2013. 0W-20

The 2014 engine oil cap says 5W-20 but was built at least prior to Nov 2013 (the build date of my vehicle).

The Ford Oil Chart is dated Dec 2013 and suggests 0W-20

I'm thinking Ford is suggesting for us to use 0W-20, unless the oil chart is in error. I sure would like a concrete answer from Ford or another rev of the OM that states 0W-20. Is there anyone from Ford on this site that can clarify this? Or is there a TSB or the like that could clarify this?

To be honest, if Ford wants us to use 0W-20 then I'd like the engine oil cap to say 0W-20. That would only make sense.

Edited by scn101

I was going through my sales documents for taxes and happened upon a receipt that says I got a service plan with up to 20 oil changes and tire rotations for 100,000 miles (transferable). Also new wiper blades every 15k miles and some other small items I can't recall.

It cost me $199. I was pleased with myself.

Unfortunately the oil change center that I normally go to (Planet Ford) caught fire two weeks ago. On the bright side I got to help put out the fire.

Unfortunately the oil change center that I normally go to (Planet Ford) caught fire two weeks ago. On the bright side I got to help put out the fire.

... and now have a lifetime of free oil changes ?

Check this out: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/3498-oil-quality-and-change-interval/

A C-Max owner sent his oil to Blackstone for analysis after 10,000 miles and posted his report.

Thanks HB, that is interesting reading.

Like the C-Max owner I changed my first oil early (4k miles) and after reading his oil report I am very glad I did.

I did a 4k, 10k and 20k oil/filter with full synthetic and a premium filter.

... I'll try and remember to do this Blackstone oil report at my 30k oil change.

Interesting I too changed oil at those intervals. I still have a couple bottles in a shelf, I should send a sample in for both cars and compare them.

Is anyone changing their oil based on engine hours? I was thinking of monitoring the trip display time and changing my oil at 200 hours or the recommended mileage and time, whichever comes first.

From what I have seen so far by watching the temperature gauge, the engine seems to cool down quickly in the winter when the heater is on and the system going into ev mode.

And from past experience, cold engines build up more contaminants and sludge than engines that stay hot. That's my reason to also monitor hours, along with mileage and time.

cold engines build up more contaminants and sludge than engines that stay hot.

Thats a very good point, something I never considered, and I have been working with engines since I was 16 ripping apart my first engine, a Chevy 292 straight 6 and rebuilding it, while it was still in the truck. I never had to worry about it in the the 2010 since it ran most of the time while I drove, but this one doesn't run as much(though lately with -26 like this morning, it doesnt shut off until I reach CL). Have to check it every so often now to see if it is building condensate inside. Checking the oil cap is a good indicator if sludge will build up, any moisture on the cap and you can bet there will be sludge at some point.

I think I have enough 4 hour trips to Dallas at 75 to 80 mph to do the whole "Italian tune-up" on a regular basis.

As for the bike, it's not happy unless the rear head cylinder temp is above 375...and it's always happy.

The 2014 engine oil cap says 5W-20 but was built at least prior to Nov 2013 (the build date of my vehicle).

The Ford Oil Chart is dated Dec 2013 and suggests 0W-20

I'm thinking Ford is suggesting for us to use 0W-20, unless the oil chart is in error. I sure would like a concrete answer from Ford or another rev of the OM that states 0W-20. Is there anyone from Ford on this site that can clarify this? Or is there a TSB or the like that could clarify this?

To be honest, if Ford wants us to use 0W-20 then I'd like the engine oil cap to say 0W-20. That would only make sense.

scn101,

The info you posted from the owner's manuals is correct. I sent you a PM about your oil cap.

Ashley

scn101,

The info you posted from the owner's manuals is correct. I sent you a PM about your oil cap.

Ashley

Which owner's manual is correct. There are two posted.

Which owner's manual is correct. There are two posted.

hermans,

This info is correct:

Ashley

My 2014 vehicle was built December 2, 2013 and in checking the manual it states 5W-20.

So do I follow the manual with 5W-20 or do I follow the 2014 specs of 0W-20? ;(

I wouldnt worry over it. The engine will run perfectly fine on 5w20, and wear just the same as with 0w20. Only thing that "could" be affected is fuel economy, but it would be so minor that you probably wouldn't notice.

I wouldnt worry over it. The engine will run perfectly fine on 5w20, and wear just the same as with 0w20. Only thing that "could" be affected is fuel economy, but it would be so minor that you probably wouldn't notice.

Ditto!

I'm not convinced that the only thing that is different between using 0W-20 and 5W-20 is fuel economy. Ford's engineers may be more worried about cold engine operation. A 0W oil flows better than a 5W oil when cold. Our engines often start stone cold while we are moving in EV mode on a cold morning takeoff and are expected to provide power, no time for it to warm up like when we start non-hybrid car and let it warm up for a minute before taking off on those really cold days.

Personally, I'm not all too happy having an Owner's Manual that recommends 0W-20, online Ford literature that recommends 0W-20 (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CGUQFjAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com%2Fmain%2Fquickref%2Foilchart.pdf&ei=8av2Uv-2H8uY2gWKuICwCg&usg=AFQjCNEPuJffBCa67ik9I0ljEv8ItqbdhA&sig2=lf-Sc6Xue8BeRwJPERF2gw&bvm=bv.60983673,d.b2I), and an engine oil cap that reads 5W-20.

Ashley says 0W-20 is the proper oil (at least for the 2014) and I've asked her for the Ford part number of the engine oil cap that says "0W-20" so I can get my dealer to replace the incorrect "5W-20" cap. Hopefully she can provide that p/n so I put this to rest.

What I don't get is they are the same exact engines and there are two recommended oil weights. More confusion from Ford.