jeff_h

Oil Change Info for 2013+ Hybrid/Energi

Does anyone know the size of the washer for the drain plug?

I'm curious how frequently other 2013 FFH owners are changing their oil now that they'd had the cars for a little while.

Background: My FFH has about 9700 miles. I am a little below 50/50 usage between gas/electric, so about ~4700 miles has been electric, the other 5000 is on the gas engine. Almost all the miles are highway miles with some stop-and-go portions.

Yesterday I got my 10k service done at the dealer, including oil change. I previously had the oil done at 1700 miles (of which about 800 were electric). So, since the last change it's been 8000 road miles and about 4100 miles on the gas engine. (My oil life monitor in the system was at about 22%)

I asked to see the old oil as it drained; based on some of the comments on this board, I expected it might be fairly clean. It was actually pretty dark and looked like, well, old motor oil. The mechanic asked when my last oil change was and said I'd waited too long. I later asked the customer service rep. how frequently I should have the oil changed, and he said "every 5k miles, if you're planning on keeping the car for a long time." I pointed out that Ford's own warranty and manual only calls for an oil change every 10k miles. He said that because they weren't using synthetic oil--or rather, were using a semi-synthetic--it should be changed more frequently. (I then asked why they didn't use synthetic, and he said because Ford's engine design doesn't need it...around and around we go).

Thoughts? On one hand, I clearly detect a dealer's instinct to charge me for as much maintenance as possible (these are the same people who tried to sell me a $2400 maintenance plan to cover seven $89.95 servicings). On the other hand, it'd be a lot easier to laugh this off if the oil had come out looking golden-clean and if they were using synthetic. I'm further unsure how much to consider the total mileage of the car versus the gas-only mileage in the oil calculation...the engine is running less, but starting up/shutting down more. I get Ford coupons for oil changes and am planning to keep this car until the wheels fall off--which hopefully won't be for many years--so I'd prefer to do the best long-run thing without overdoing it.

Thanks.

A regular periodic oil change is probably the single most important thing you can do to help ensure long engine life. An oil change is also dirt cheap. I can always find coupons for the Quick lane at my Ford dealership which makes the cost of the oil change very reasonable. I think I would be hard pressed to purchase the oil and filter and change the oil myself for the same price. In addition, Quick Lane always gives your car a good inspection to identify other potential problems. It is a great service provided by the dealership at a fair and reasonable cost.

So why would you want to quibble/skimp on a very inexpensive maintenance procedure that will help ensure long engine life?

If the oil came out clear I would be worried, as it isnt trapping and containing the carbon byproducts of combustion. Keep in mind too, these engines aren't driven nearly as hard as regular car engines that rev up to 4000+ during shifts, but at a constant speed and load condition, add in the part about EV, so the oil will actually last longer. Oil color has nothing to do with its ability to lube and protect the engine. The only way to know 100% is with an oil sample analysis. Since I have been dealing with cars for over 30 years, and ran all different engines and oils, had analysis done on several, I have a pretty good feel for when oil must be changed, and on these Hybrids, 10K is at the low end. You could easily go 15K on these with Semi-Synthetic oil, or longer with full Syn, which gives me that cushion I need between changes.

Changing before 10K is purely up to you, but not really needed. Oil lasts a LOT longer these days.

If the oil came out clear I would be worried, as it isnt trapping and containing the carbon byproducts of combustion. Keep in mind too, these engines aren't driven nearly as hard as regular car engines that rev up to 4000+ during shifts, but at a constant speed and load condition, add in the part about EV, so the oil will actually last longer. Oil color has nothing to do with its ability to lube and protect the engine. The only way to know 100% is with an oil sample analysis. Since I have been dealing with cars for over 30 years, and ran all different engines and oils, had analysis done on several, I have a pretty good feel for when oil must be changed, and on these Hybrids, 10K is at the low end. You could easily go 15K on these with Semi-Synthetic oil, or longer with full Syn, which gives me that cushion I need between changes.

Changing before 10K is purely up to you, but not really needed. Oil lasts a LOT longer these days.

I will yield to your experience and expertise as I am no expert on this subject. The only comment I would have about waiting 15K miles for an oil change is that for some of us it takes many months to put 15K miles on a car. In my recent past it would take me nearly two years to put 15K miles on a car and that strikes me as a very long time between oil changes regardless of the type of oil.

Seems like time is a consideration in addition to miles. I suspect two year old oil at 15K is very different than four months at 15K miles.

In addition, I found this in the FFH owner's manual under Scheduled Maintenance:

You should change your engine oil one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) from the previous oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

It also states that you can expect the "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" message to appear around 5000-7499 miles under severe operating conditions (Moderate to heavy load or towing, Mountainous or off-road conditions, Extended idling or Extended hot or cold operation).

This last winter in Minnesota probably qualifies for extended cold operation.

Edited by Texasota

Absolutely! Since I put 30K on a year between 2 cars, its easy for me to rack up 15K in no time, but for those who dont put as many miles on, especially those who do short trips and dont heat up the ICE enough to dry it out in cool damp weather, changing it more frequently is ideal. Not only do short trips accumulate moisture, over time acid builds up in the oil and that is bad for bearings.

Just to clarify, 15K on a Full synthetic, like Mobil 1 or Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. I would not do that on the Semi Synthetics. I would also do an oil analysis at 8K miles, to see if the oil can sustain another 7K. It's what I did in my F350 Diesel, but then again, an oil change in that cost 4 times what one in the car does. This is only for those of us who do put a lot of miles on and don't really have the time to drop a car off every other month for an oil change. If you do run the regular Semi Syn, 10k is the max I would go between changes. Thats about 4 months for me.

I changed a couple things in the first post. Hope you don't mind Jeff! I added a note about 0W-20 oil and about the plastic clips that have to be loosened before you can take the aerodynamic cover off.

Meddler! That's why I titled the thread Oil Change Info for '2013' Hybrid as I figured small changes could occur from year to year...such as the 0W20 vs 5W20 thing, as I think the 2013 specs were 5W20 from the start and stayed there (except watch that bubble up again).... as for the plastic clips, I busted one of those with screwdriver right off the bat and it popped out, and I was trying to be more cautious than I bet most of the guys at the dealer or Jiffy Lube would be - so for those that get someone else to change their oil I wouldn't be surprised it those are gone.

I changed the oil once in my F150. Never again. Let the dealer futz with all those panels.

If I did my own changes it would be Mobil 1. I considered Royal Purple for the Ecoboost, but heard that it isn't as good as M1 for longevity.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I haven't been able to find the answer... What is the torque spec for the drain plug?

I just did 11K. :) I should have done an analysis.

and it was still driving just fine. ;)

And now that I have had it serviced that thump I showed you is gone. Was the rear rotors.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I haven't been able to find the answer... What is the torque spec for the drain plug?

Anyone?